I love naked bikes!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by David Shapiro, Jan 9, 2010.

1. David Shapiro

David Shapiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was all set to get a BMW K1200r sport. I know that it is a somewhat quirky choice, but beauty in the eyes of the beholder, etc. Then I saw the MV Brutale. OMFG, what a beautiful bike. Of course, is MV Agusta still in business? Does the bike have ABS brakes? I am lucky enough to have a dealer in the area, so I'll go this week to check it out.

David
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  2. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like naked bikes, naked wimmins are even better!:lol3

Both are equally hard to maintain and will drain money from your wallet.
  3. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Brutale and KR series bikes are very different animals. I tried a Brutale before getting my KR and found the Brutale smallish and the suspension very one dimensional. Yes, it's beautiful. The company still has its web page up, in Italian... http://www.mvagusta.it/it/home

Make sure you really try both bikes. If you want "naked" you might also look at the straight KR.
  4. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The K is not as nimble in the twisties as the Brutale. If thats important you need to try before you buy :-)

I testrode a 07' K1200R Sport and hated it. Buzzy engine and long wheelbase was not for me.
  5. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    If you want naked, fast, and different just try riding my wife ******* oops did not mean to say that ! Anyway, try the trip, fast and full of character
  6. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    Test ride a Tuono as well.
  7. motorbike_mike1

motorbike_mike1 Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Pictures please :rofl
  8. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Yes, MV is still in biz. If you're seduced by the Brutale, at least sit on one. better yet, test ride one.

I did, and here are some observations. I've owned Ducati Monsters for years, and like the slightly relaxed sportbike / standard position of the Duc. The Brutale is slightly more upright in the torso, with a similar leg position for the knee and ankle angles. I'd probably say that if you're over 6'3" ish, you may be uncomfortable for any length of time on it. I'm 6', and was able to manage it. Overall, it feels like you're semi-squatting with your arms resting naturally to the bars.

The bike handled well, and was very very responsive. Borderline twitchy. The engine wanted to rev, and fueling was like a lightswitch, especially noticeable at lower revs. This made my test ride "interesting" in that I could see it as a good backroad canyon carver or a track bike. As an everyday bike or expecting it to be more flexible, this ain't the bike. I've seen pics of people doing sport touring with a Brutale, and I wonder how comfortable that may be. Subjective, I know, it's all what you enjoy and where you're riding.

The power on the 990 I rode was really good. I'm more familiar with the linear power of a twin, so the I-4 top end rush and howl was a bit of a welcome surprise. I can't see "needing" more power for the street, but caning the beast makes beautiful F1- like noises from the stock exhaust.

For what MV is asking for the Brutale, there seem to be many more sensible options out there, but cycles aren't a rational purchase. I'd suggest finding a well-kept used one. These bikes are the veal lambs of the bike world, and a collector or occasional rider would probably part with one for several thousands less than a new one.

And that leaves you with lots more money to buy the necessary extras for fueling and a more accommodating seat. They are beautiful, and fo course if you have the itch, do some investigating, travel to see one or ride one if that's possible.
  9. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  10. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stupid?
  11. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    street fighter and super duke as well
  12. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread is worthless without pics.:wink:
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    That smiley is translated as: "Agreed."
  14. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I saw the 2010 Kawasaki Z1000 the other day. Very nice!
  15. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, I am ready to see necked women riding bikes.
  16. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, best naked sport bike for the road :1drink

[​IMG]
  17. David Shapiro

Oddometer:
    Funny that you should post that. I've just about decided to go for a 0 mileage 2008 Megamoto with ABS (your OTHER bike)

David
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    And even harder and drainier (is that a word?) if they're Italian...bike or woman.:evil

Does it matter that Harley now owns MV?
  19. ssven

ssven visiting hooligan

Oddometer:
    Soooo 2009, dude.

First.
  20. David Shapiro

Oddometer:
    Had an interesting day. Couldn't ride, but I did sit on a Triumph Street Triple and a KTM Superduke, both of which fit me very well. The Triumph Tiger was too wide, felt like I was on a horse. A Duc MS 1100S also fit. But, in the end, I was seduced by a pristine MegaMoto. It will need a few bits and pieces, a small screen, pivot pegs to drop the peg height and heated grips, but I got a offer that I couln't refuse. If they imported them here, I'd buy a K1300R, but they don't, so I can't. Meanwhile, the MM will just have to do.

David