The way to a womans heart (CRF230)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Louisdut, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Louisdut

Louisdut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicky's got a new bike to add to her collection! Not the best weather but a mix of sun, rain and hale stones didn't stop her testing it out today :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprising where you find the odd UCR

[​IMG]

It was alot wetter than last week

[​IMG]

And her new bike looks a bit muddy :thumb

[​IMG]

Here's a few clips of the 230 in action

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a great little bike :thumb

It hadn't occured to me before we bought it, but I would really enjoy riding it in some long distance trials :augie
  2. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one--it was out with Garry and Gazz at the Marches weekend. It pulls like a train being slightly undersquare. I used 3.5 litres for about 55 miles so with an 8 litre tank you should get over 100 miles

They are indeed a great little bike--who did the road registration for you?--I did my own and it was helped by the uprated springs from BBR in Washington State as they are softly sprung for anyone over 10 stone (to meet the enduro height requirements-- but you may have found a "Slack" DVLA station)--there is stacks of stuff for them in the US. I'm also assuming its had a needle and jet change because they are too weak as standard. Mine also has a bigger bore front pipe which helps mid range. I've changed the gearing--up one on the gearbox and down 8 on the rear to give it some good road manners. However, Just gone back to standard on the front as it was just a touch overgeared for the really steep climbs. Ditch the steel bars and fit a set of Renthals for safety (if you haven't done so already). Mine has done enduros as well --and gets air at a MX track--they are very underrated--almost undiscovered (except in the US of course). There is a conversion for the rear drum to turn it into a disc---but I like the drum as it always sort of works which is ideal for off road--just take the wheel out and clean it out occaisionally--its much easier to remove than a disc braked version. One more niggle--the Honda chain is endless as standard and the pin dia is slightly smaller than all the other 520 chains--so you'll have a possible problem with a split link (I found an early KTM factory chain link that fitted --but only after sorting through a whole box of links in my dealers).

Just a personal plug (and its in European vendors)--I've done my own full carbon bash plate and casing covers---I've also done frame protectors from flat carbon sheet and front fork protectors (but these fork protectors are a little difficult to get right so I'm not offering them for the general public at the moment--serviceable--but with the odd surface blemish).

Regards Chris:clap
  3. Pumpy

Pumpy Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer:
    Nice one, Louis! :clap

You like those 230's, don't you? :evil

[​IMG]

Hope to see your better half on the trails more often this year (when I'm back myself, that is...). :thumb
  4. Emmsy Poo

Emmsy Poo EXPERIENCED NOVICE

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Im jealous!:evil

Cant wait to get out on the trails with Nicky again, seems to have been ages!

Now Louis, if you can just pass on the message to Bertie C that his wife should be spoiled rotten too, that would be most helpful!:lol3
  5. Timpo

Timpo NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer:
    Louis, she'll be coming to the MM Rally then?
    Tinatrim is running a nice loop, she could join that?

Timpo.

PS. Is that CRF230 from ET James, Rhayader?
  6. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, and a nice garden you have there:evil

[​IMG]
  7. Louisdut

Oddometer:
    Chris I'll buy you a pint at the rally so I can pick you brains on the CRF :thumb

Our Big Trip planned for this year has been put on hold and the plan is for lots of trail riding :thumb So I'm sure your be coming out with us soon as your mended (well your more than welcome to )

Lets get out after the rally for a day on the trails :thumb

Sorry Rob

Appreciate the offer and I know she would be in safe hands with Tina
    but we have 3 dogs and 2 have not been well for the past few months and Nicky does not want to leave them for a weekend a this time but things are getting better :thumb ( that why she not been out )

Yes ET james & they put the road kit on and road registration for it

Cheers Bert :thumb
  8. Emmsy Poo

Emmsy Poo EXPERIENCED NOVICE

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! Our plan is to do loads of trailriding this year too.
  9. bigsteve950adv

bigsteve950adv White Trash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics and vids Louis :thumb
  10. Jaqhammar

Jaqhammar Hooligan

Oddometer:
    It's great seeing couples out on their bikes together. :clap

Shalako-Lin and I heartily approve.
    The Oz adv section is sadly lacking in ladies who ride off road.

Good on you guys (and gals.) :thumb

Cheers: Jaq and Lin.
  11. Louisdut

Oddometer:
    Nicky gave the 230 a run down the Strata Florida (mid wales) on saturday :thumb

Yes this is the byway :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great spot for dinner (and we both looked at which line to take over the rocks :augie)

[​IMG]

Good job I fitted the bash plate cheers Chirs

[​IMG]

Didn't get many pic of the deep water crossings as I was up to my nuts in the water just incase Shouldn't have worried as Nicky and the 230 made it look easy :thumb

We did laugh at one point when a pogo rider coming the other way stopped to warn me there was deep water ahead " I'm not sure your get that through" looking at my Hp2 :D

[​IMG]

Another great day on the lanes with Nicky and the 230 :thumb

Hope you got your work done Emmsy Poo catch you next time :D

Louis
  12. robbie c

robbie c trail addict

Oddometer:
    more water than I thought there would be. Sorry we missed it but the BMW had to go to it's new home.

We had a good afternoon on the trails but I didn't have any time to take pictures as she's so damn quick on the little bike now. She didn't fall off all day, which was one less than me :eek1

see you both soon, for a spin :D

ps. can you bring my mirrors :rofl :rofl
  13. tinatrim

tinatrim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicky and new bike look a great combination. Cant wait to ride with you again. Maybe one weekend not too far away with BertieC and Emmsy??? Nicky....you've been missed in the dirty girls get togethers. Glad your dogs are on the mend.
  14. robbie c

robbie c trail addict

Oddometer:
    come on down, we can show you some "interesting" lanes, we rode a lovely little track yesterday that you couldn't get a BMW boxer along (brilley)

Emma was exstatic about it and thanked me for hours for showing her such a lovely track and at the end of the day.

I then spotted a large sow cruising at 20000 feet:D :D