Changing regions in Mapsource

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by hahmule, Aug 14, 2008.

1. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    I bought a used Garmin V for use on my dirt bike. I didn't lay out big $$ for my 1st GPS that I was likely to break anyway, and yes, I did search for answers in this forum.

It came with the original discs for Mapsource version 4.00 and the 4.01 update. I also have the unlock code.

When I installed the software, the selected region was for the Arkansas area. I'm in california. Despite entering the unlock code, I am unable to change the region to the west coast. Am I doing something wrong or do I need additional software or what? The manual is vurtually silent on this issue. :dunno
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert but I do own a GPS V. MapSource is Garmin's software interface utility for uploading and downloading maps, waypoints, routes and tracks. The map software is sometimes refereed to as MapSource but also carries another name like "TOPO" or "MetroGuide". In the case of the GPS V the unit came with City Select which required an unlock code. If I remember correctly Garmin allowed two unlocks. The City Select mapping software can be installed on an unlimited number of computers but the maps can only be transfered to two different GPS units. If it is the original City Select which came with the unit and your unlock code worked, I'm not sure why you would be having a problem.

You say the region loaded is Arkansas so I assume your computer is communicating with the GPS fine. In MapSource under "Utilities" try "Get UnitID...". Does the serial number of your GPS V come up?

If it does, what happens when you pan the map and using the selection tool select another area then send to the GPS? What messages do you get? How big an area are you trying to load? The V only has 19mb of memory and the transfer is quite slow taking maybe 45 min.

We need a little more info.

Bruce
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It's possible the unit was purchased with only a partial unlock (rather than "all regions"). However, it should be more than the state of Arkansas.
  4. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    unfortunately, my gps project is delayed again. Dumped my dirt bike saturday. Trimaleolar fracture right ankle. Got my hands full. thanks anyways. :becca