What were you riding in the 90's?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Gham, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know nothing about trials bikes in general but for the life of me I see nothing (short of 1 1997 Fantic) for sale from the 90's.

I have seen Yamaha's,Montesa's,Bultaco's and Suzuki's from the 70's.I have even seen an occasional Kawasaki.

From the 80's I have seen a Montesa Cota 349,and a few Honda Reflex's.

The 90's-nothing

2000 on all kinds of stuff,mostly 2006-Current

Where the heck are all the bikes you guys rode back then?????
  2. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a '93 XR650L in the 90's... which is the a 180 from what I am riding now (2003 Montesa 315R). The only thing they have in common is the Honda motors and the smile on my face when I ride them.:D
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    1989 beta, 92 beta, 93 aprilia,95 beta,96 beta,97beta and a 2000 beta. All those bikes trickle down to new riders and either break or sit in the corner somewhere. They are too new to ride vintage and the 2000 and newer were so much better People also hate to sell these bikes if they are still original because they bring little money for such good machines!
  4. Gham

Oddometer:
    Well that helps to explain it,thank you.
  5. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    +1

I started on a 2000 GasGas, then moved to a 2007. Gigantic leap in quality and how the bike rode. For one thing the headtube has never cracked. Anyone want to buy a lightly used rolling chassis? :evil
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    `89 Aprilia NICE!:D
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yes!
  9. Gham

Oddometer:
    Thats what I'm looking for!!!!!!!.......i think......mostly playbike and when I get just a little bit over-confident I can enter a competition and get my ass handed to me!!!!!
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I was riding my '85 K100RS BMW. Still am, in fact.

[​IMG]

I did not join the Dark Side until 2006....... [​IMG]
  11. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a late start in trials as well. My first trials bike was a 87 Beta tr34r in 1999 soon after that I got a great deal on a 96 Beta techno. After that:
    2002 Gas Gas 280 ( new )
    2004 Beta 270 ( new )
    2005 Beta 270 ( new ) which in my present ride.
  12. Gham

Oddometer:
    Do you ever see/compete against anyone riding the 90's machines?

I don't know what level(if any) you compete in but I don't even see pics of riders on late 80's,early 90's machines when I look at recent competitions online from my area.Like Lineaway said,they must be stuffed in the corners of garages somewhere.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    If I was looking for an early 90's bike I think I would stick with GG or Beta, just because those bikes are still available today and I would think part would be easier to get.

There was nothing wrong with my Aprilia in the day (except for being a little heavy and slow steering), but I've heard parts are drying up. And the other big player back then was Fantic, who is still in business, but hasn't imported a bike for a long time.
  14. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride the Sportsman line when I compete although it's been awhile. As far as the 90's Machines you don't see them that often.
  15. stuj

stuj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the 90's I rode TY 250 monos then several Aprilia Climbers. From 89 through to 91/92. I was lucky enough to work for Gerald Richardson who sponsored Stefan Merriman and Geoff Aaron over here in North Yorkshire, Northern England
    [​IMG]
    I now have almost completed restoring this 1990 280 Climber and I have another green 1991 280 waiting to be saved!
    [​IMG]
    I compete a 2012 280 Gas Gas which is a world away from the Climbers as they were monsters back then, lets hope I can tame it now I am a few stone heavier!
  16. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Fantic is NOT in business. They went tits up in the 90's. But I could be wrong, did they come back to life recently?
  17. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone posted over in road warriors of a Fantic tr300es. I've heard rumors of a comeback.
  18. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Cool, I think it is just like Sherco/Bultaco though?

Translated by google, from "origins" page at http://www.fanticmotor.it/azienda/storia.php

"But the prohibition to practice off-road, the economy connected to the world of two wheels and a few mistakes have led the company to close its doors Fantic In 1995 Fantic Motor Barzago... of productive activity ceases, leaving a huge void especially in trials where had carved out a leadership position"

"Now with the purchase of the brand Fantic by industrialist Treviso Fregnan may bring glory to the great history of the motorcycle company Lecco and the cost of the operation suggests that there is only a certain interest dictated from the heart to the brand Barzago. The first to get your hopes are just the fans or aficionados of the Fantic Motor, which have always had the hope of seeing this company resurrected, and now Frederick Fregnan has rekindled hope."

But hey, comebacks are nice, look at OSSA.
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I didn't Google it, but I believe Fantic has remained in business in Europe and other parts of the world, primarily making small displacement bikes. They have not imported in the US since the mid 90's, which I would assume making it hard to get parts here.
  20. GP MX Fan

GP MX Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the 90s I rode a series of Yamaha MX and OSSA Phantoms in vintage motocross.