may I introduce myself

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Mitas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan,

It's good to see you back. I wouldn't suppose there is any news on Mitas for those of use in the states? Is mx1Canada, who is great BTW, our only choice for Mitas in the foreseeable future?
  2. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    Just got done 7,000 miles in 5 weeks of dual sporting including parts of the TAT and Hatfield/McCoy trail system. Shoe of choice for that trip was IRC TR8 up front and Shinko 244 rear. I've re-shooed the DR for winter commuting and expected muddy icy local riding but I'll need new shoes by the time the snow melts for a spring x-country trip so I'm hoping that sometime in the near future I'll be able to place an order for some Mitas tires.

Any news on the availability of these in the U.S.?

Still hoping to mount up an E07 rear and have some fun on it. As good as MX! in Canada might be, I just won't buy out of country when we have so many good companies and good people in country who are hungry for business and need the work.

-thanks-
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, they are great tires. Everyone who has owned them like them.
    I really wanted to be the distributor for them in the US, it didn't work out that way.
  5. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    How far did you make it? What is their problem?
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that's what i was wondering. world longest tire distribution deal ever...and it's still gone no where. don't think Mitas cares about the US market at this point. many have tried to work with them with no luck. horrible way to run a business IMO.

buy from Canada http://www.mx1canada.com/Mitas-Motorcycle-Tires-Canada/ if you really want them
    of buy Mefo Explorers or Heideanu K60s instead. those companies do supply to the US.
  7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:

:nod
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    recently got this back

Jiri,

Has Mitas given up selling in the US?
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706242&page=30

thanks,

Bill Eakins

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Bill,

I hope all is fine with you. Thank you for your e-mail.

I have found out that currently Mitas does not sell any “DOT street legal” dirt bike tyres in the USA. We expect the situation to change, though—recently, Mitas’ parent company has acquired Savatech, a Slovenian producer of motorcycle tyres. Savatech has a sales office in the USA, and currently we are building synergies between Savatech and Mitas, also in the sales network.

I will keep you posted about the development and eventually the list of DOT street legal dirt bike tyres made by Mitas and sold in the U.S.

Best wishes,

Jiri

Jiří Šebek
    Public Relations Manager

MITAS a.s.
    Švehlova 1900, 106 25 Prague 10, Czech Republic
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    my gut feeling is this company acquisition deal is THE hold up to this whole US availability thing. deals like this don't happen over night. it takes months of back-office work. i'm guessing Mitas has been planing their big picture approach to US market penetration (with these 2 companies they now have tires to supply many different markets) and that's why things have moved so slowly.

I have emailed Jiri back and forth and he has been very helpful and forthcoming with info to me the best he can.
  11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:

That is a very uninformed response. I have a E07 Dakar that I bought from MX1Canada last summer in my garage ready to replace a rear TKC 80 in the spring stamped DOT with a stamped number next to it. They do have adventure tires DOT approved..
    Its not on yet due to the TKC 80 just won't die.
  12. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think they have motorcycle tires of any kind for sale in the USA.
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    But, that is still not sold in the USA, it is sent from Canada.
    That shipping costs kills the deal for many. I won't pay $40 shipping for a tire.
  14. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean Hillbilly. I just wanted to try it out. I thought I would kill my TKC 80, but it still has a little before the treadware indicator. I just won't die. It has roughly 3000 miles on it. I am going to put the E07 Dakar on it right before D2D with a new TKC 80 front. That is 3000 miles on an 06 Tiger 955i with atleast half of that fullly overloaded.

You know what they say, the bigger your luggage the more crap that you don't need you take. I have 41 liter touratechs.
  15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running Kenda Big Blocks now, on an LC4.
    They are soft, but cheap and I like them.

Once I get luggage, it will only be a Giant Loop bag.
    So I'm a lot lighter than most of you guys, less horsepower and get a lot more tire life than those that ride big bikes.

I'll get 1500 miles or so out of my rear Kenda, if I can get Mitas at a decent price here I'd certainly consider them.
    And if I was the one selling them, of course I would run them :D
  16. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Pallet load of tires from MX1 Canada , they worked with the shipping Costs. Split the Cost between six of us @ $30-00ea. MX1 is aware of the shipping cost & I was told they working on getting something set up on the US side of the border....
    I am now at almost 7500 miles on my rear E07 with probably 2k left...awesome tire for a big ADV Bike!
  17. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good news, mx1 has been a pleasure to work with.

My E07 dakar rear has 8k miles & still has some tread left as does my e-10 dakar front.

It's a very good setup for my vStrom.:clap
  18. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Because the E09D up front is scary on tarmac above 120kph, squirrelly really! The TKC is far more predictable abeit 2 x the cost of the E09D. Like I stated and others have also the E09D rear/ TKC80 ft is the best combo IMHO on the F8 and GSA. YMMV!
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info.
    i like tkc-80s on the pavement and now use IRC TR8 up front with the same results and less price.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    any more news on this, as it seems Mitas USA is still going no where.