Scrambler Advice

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by homeslice3, Sep 11, 2008.

1. homeslice3

homeslice3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about buying an 06 Scrambler w/14K on the speedo. Some questions:

1. Seller asking 5800.00. Which is basically KBB. Is this kind of mileage a decent price?

2. Do I need to worry about the mileage? I want to keep the bike fora few years so can I expect 40-50K out of these bikes?

3. How is 2-up riding on this bike? Most of my touring is gonna be solo, but I"m wondering how a quick 500 mile weekend trip is gonna be comfi for may gal.

4. Any other suggestions? Mostly I do back road riding, but some firetrails ect.. I just sold my uly cuase it was too tall for me and I'm looking for the next machine.

b
  2. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For #3--I've got the King/Queen seat on mine and the wife likes it better than she did the KLR or Voyager.

Scrambler is a great bike than can be equipped for just aobut anything. I've got 6k miles on mine and have enjoyed them all.
  3. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    The motors are pretty much bullet proof . over built & under stressed so 50K should not be a problem.
    The are not the greatest bike for extended two up touring & you will find the rear shocks bottom a fair bit on bumpy roads but it is easily fixed with Ikons or something better
    If the Uly is too tall scram should work out fine
  4. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    I have both an 07 Uly and an 08 Scrambler. They're quite different bikes. The Scrambler is a lower bike and even though it's dry weight is slightly more than the Uly, it seems smaller and a bit more nimble...but it has substantially less power than the Uly. You'll also find that it's more maintenance, if only in that it requires chain lubrication. If I were going 500 miles solo or two up, I'd take the Uly every time.
  5. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    What everyone said so far, plus it is a damn nice looking bike! You'll be answering lots of questions and fighting off wimmins at gas stations. :D
  6. LJ3

LJ3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a scrambler new in '06, its a blast to ride and does alot of things well. I also had a bonneville, it was a nice bike but compared to the scrambler it was a bore. the scrambler reminds me of the CL and SL Hondas from my youth, simple fun on 2 wheels. buy one.
  7. homeslice3

homeslice3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I LOVED the ULY on the long road trips - 80-90 was the sweet spot and I could gun my way out of trouble. It was OK on the fire trails, but the bulk of it (not weight) really stopped me from being relaxed and having fun, the top heaviness always made me feel on edge.

Everywhere else, I hated it - could only plant one foot down and riding in Seattle sucked. I have a little 76 CB550 that's great around the city and i love hooliganing around with it. In fact if i get it, i'll probably just sell the CB - no need for it.

The scrambler will be able to do that AND be decent enough on the trails and adequate on the slab i figure.
  8. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    He is asking too much. A month ago I paid $6,000 for an 07 and it came with the solo seat, centerstand, and had 2,000 miles on it. With 14,000 miles it is probably worth closer to $4,800 to 5k. KBB is ok in a sellers mkt but this is not a sellers mkt. Be patient.
  9. rockmurf

rockmurf IBA #31100

Oddometer:
    As stated kbb is usually 1000 too high on retail. Right now is a buyers market. Nothing is selling and triumphs are especially bad on the used market (don't ask me why)
  10. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "3. How is 2-up riding on this bike? Most of my touring is gonna be solo, but I"m wondering how a quick 500 mile weekend trip is gonna be comfi for may gal."

My wife is only happy for about an hour at a time on the Scrambler with the stock seat. Lots of fun until then, but then it is time for a good long break from the saddle, for both of us.

Single touring though is great - I took a three-day, 1250 mile tour through Washington, Idaho and Montana early this summer and had a blast - alone on the bike though. Dirt roads, secondary paved roads and a little bit of I-90 superslab. It was all good and the Scram averaged 52 mpg during the trip! Even more smiles per mile! :D

Two up though... Comfort factor isn't great and the power is sadly lacking compared to something with the power your Uly had...

Regards, Guy
  11. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    The Scrambler is a great bike.
    But two-up with baggage can be a problem over long distances.
    I have the option of heading back to Bangkok on my GS12 or the Scrambler, some 700kms away.
    A mate is going to ride the GS down.
    I'm taking the scenic [1200kms] route on the Scram.
    It may not have the power of other bikes or the weight advantage of more modern designs.
    But if you are looking for a bike that will truly give you more smiles per mile the Scrambler in my opinion is a truly fun bike.
  12. homeslice3

homeslice3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I passed on the Scrambler - still thinking about options - I really like the newer Guzzi Breva 1100 (I used to own a Jackal so I know the guzzi quirks)..

Test riding a new 07 tomorrow night!