DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Same problem on my drz400e. I'm headed to mccoys tonight to try to find something similar.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
  2. lakser

lakser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome thanks, as you were writing this i was at the hardware store and found something i think going to work fine.

thanks for the help.
  3. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK boys I am calling it a week. Le's get out there and ride, wrench, and wreck; havoc that is!!

See y'all Monday bright and early.
  4. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Good call, that was my plan. Pics better follow!:deal
  6. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'd say this was the most unproductive week all year! Well done team, I'm putting our department down for a bonus.
  7. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With my DR on the road again, it's time to start dressing it up. One of the things I'm looking for is a luggage setup to help with commuting, longer trips and camping. Couple questions in particular:

Tank bag that fits with Acerbis tank? Also considering tank panniers to both keep the weight lower and add a bit of volume to make up for smaller saddlebags.
    Saddlebag setup that could work with the existing ProMoto billet rear rack? I'd like the Turbo City racks except that I want to keep the PM rack I've got. The Wolfman Expeditions look good but they don't list a side rack for the DR350. I don't want them too big because I know I'll fill (or overfill) them and I don't want the weight.
    Tool storage? Stock container no longer mounts with the PM rack and it's both too small and too insecure for me. I see here custom tubes and fender mounts. Pros and cons?

Ideally luggage will be soft rather than hard and waterproof. I can pack things in garbage bags if nec. but would rather not. For the side racks, I can fabricate something if necessary. No passenger pegs, so those mounting points are available. Finally, suggestions for non-MC options (REI, Walmart, etc.) welcome because if I just got everything that looks perfect from Twisted Throttle or Aerostich I'll end up paying more than I paid for the bike (maybe I should have gotten a KLR...). And it still might not fit.

- Spad
  8. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Volunteering for overtime I see? :evil

Well, I have the tank panniers on procycle. I like them, they're rather convenient for tool storage. The downside to them is they widen the tank a lot so you're legs are forced way outwards. I actually noticed a "power loss" because of the drag it creates on the freeway. I never really use them anymore. I'm now looking into a bigger tank bag than the wolfman enduro pouch that I have currently. I'm thinking about getting the enduro tank bag. I'm sure it will fit. I currently have their expedition bags and love them. Soft bags that are waterproof and not dinky at all. I'm running them on the TCI racks but I think they'll fit pretty much any rack system. When ordering, they give you an "other racks" option. This comes with 4 straps for each side. They're basically just velcro straps attached to a D ring that get looped around a bunch. Good quality velcro, very sturdy, not worried. You can see them in one of the pictures in the link on my sig. That's my setup. Love it so far. The TCI racks are pricey but I'd buy them again.
  9. kaukasion

kaukasion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couple weird things happening to the bike lately it's started to get hard to downshift when warm and it has never been happened to me but to the boys when riding so I don't know how valid their descriptions are but both said they were cruising along and the motor had seized and caused them to wreck once even flipped the handlebars but I've never gotten it to try and do it to me both aren't very experienced riders so I'm wondering if they didn't just get scared and lock the front break up or something one of the times he said he tried to restart the bike and it wouldn't so he pushed it a while and tried again and it started so he limped it back now they are scared to death of it and I'm a little apprehensive to take my Lil gas saver to work if the engine is trying to randomly seize. Do you guys know anything I can check to see if there really is a mechanical problem or if this was rider error?
  10. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    One of the simplest luggage systems consists of Wolfman E12 bags with a duffle over the back. Spend the real money on good camping gear.

I have a medium Wolfman Expedition duffle but one of the big dry bags from Walmart work. Wolfman makes a nice dry bag for about $60 (IIRC) that opens on both ends but ultimately I got tired of trying to find things in dry bags and opted for the waterproof duffle. There's a "waterproof" backpack at Wal-Mart now that might be a good option too.

The beauty of this setup is it's modular, doesn't require fancy racks, and has tie down locations all over the E12's and the Wolfman duffle or drybag. It also transfers from one enduro style bike to the next as long as you shield the side cover from the exhaust (jb weld and a crushed aluminum can works surprisingly well).

Here's the E12 bags on my DR350. I commute with this setup a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all together on my SE.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  11. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review! You need to line the E12s with dry bags (from vendors like Hefty, e.g.) for water, correct? I like how the E12s don't need side racks; that I could move them to the CM450E (highly underestimated ADV bike:rofl) is a plus. Twisted Throttle sells a dry bag combo (big 'un and little 'un that work together to give 66l). I could move those back and forth between the DR and the DL pretty easily, and use as much or as little storage as I need. I still pack too darn much though.

I'm pretty sure there are some Sweet Cheeks in my future, if I'm going any distance.

- Spad
  12. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Any idea where you can order these? I can't seem to find them online.
  13. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Google said the site was compromised, but looks OK on my phone.

I've been going round and round in my head about what to do about luggage. I mostly commute, do short day trips and ride off road. BUT, I do a week long trip every year with friends. Usually around 2,000 miles.

I think I've decided on either buying the dirt bagz setup or sticking with the combo I already have of a large dry bag and some cheap nylon throwovers.

If I go cheap I'll have to modify the fender on the exhaust side. I like the crushed cans/jb weld idea.
  15. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Instead of Hefty or Ziplock I prefer to go to the otherside of Wal-Mart and get a set of Outdoor Products Silnylon dry bags. A three pack cost about $12 and they're a little tougher than plastic bags.

I also have a 5 liter Sealine bag that I use for anything that HAS to stay dry in those bags. It's probably not necassary but its durability gives me piece of mind. It can also be strapped to the tail if need be.

Another trick is to carry things I don't mind getting wet in the E12's. For example, ratchet straps, tow strap, rope, tarp, guylines, tent pegs, etc.

Also, I had sweet cheeks on my DRZ. Great product. I put a section of an old Thermarest pad in the "map pocket" for extra padding. I'd get one for the DR but the seat is wider and it'd interfere with my luggage. If they work with your system there's really not a better way to carry 2 liters of the liquid of your choice.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  16. ceke

ceke Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have the DirtBagz scout setup on my DR, mounted the brackets to the rear shock reservoir and muffler mount since I don't have the passenger peg mounts, works fine. I also use moose atv tank panniers, make for a wider leg spread but I never ride with mine tucked in anyway. The tank panniers aren't secure enough for serious off-road which I don't do and are big enough for cameras, water, etc.

[​IMG]
  17. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I like the look of your DR350, I did the same mod on the headlamp by using a 650 Djebel cowl. It took me two years to find one, they're like hen's teeth over here :lol3

I use a Wolfman tankbag on my DR350, it also works very well on my 950ADV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers, Bob.
  18. mfleck

mfleck Fleckster

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used a pod filter on a tm33 instead of the airbox?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4
  19. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like my Giant Loop luggage. On top of it, I strap either a 20 or a 30 liter SeaLine duffel. Inside the Giant Loop, I use 4 and 8 liter Sea To Summit dry sacks to keep things organized and dry. None of these products are Walmart cheap. But, they've worked very well for me on numerous trips.

As for a tank bag, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Giant Loop fandango tank bag. Not inexpensive. But I've watched my buddy use his and I'm convinced it will do what I want it to do.

As for tank panniers, I cannot use them on the DR350. They are constantly in the way of my knees. I've tried them before and they only stayed on for one ride.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  20. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    I have not but I briefly considered this as an option. Someone else pointed out to me that the airbox and snorkel are there to keep the intake far away from dirt, dust, water, etc. The best filter can't keep everything out if it's located poorly. Just something to consider. Unless of course you ride only street in perfect weather.