BBZ's weekender thread for 2006...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by blackbirdzach, Oct 9, 2006.

1. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the remainder of the year I will be taking an overnight trip to a new place every weekend. I'll keep all the reports, pictures, and videos here for anyone interested. Here's the first one. Cheers.
  2. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    OCT 07-08, 2006

This one started late Saturday night. After work I decided to head up to Lake Allatoona to spend the night with some family and friends. My younger brother needed a sleeping bag so I strapped one on and off I went.

[​IMG]

The inside of the little cabin...

[​IMG]

They were very kind to save me some stew and a cream soda! Man it was good after a some-what chili ride to get there.

[​IMG]
  3. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    There sun was already up by the time I rolled off the couch and into my gear.

[​IMG]

I got to the mountains mid morning and made a run up 129 from Turners Corner to the top at the rock store. Saw Bloke, Erv, Tom, and a couple of others.

[​IMG]

I went down the other side and took a left onto Hwy180...aka Wolf Pen Gap. One of my favortie roads in North Geeorgia. Stopped at Dales for a bottle of water and to top off the bike and fill my extra fueel containers for some off roading.

[​IMG]
  4. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    Found a route I wanted to take through some of the Forrest roads...while they're cleary marked on my map, the rails themselves are poorly marked.

[​IMG]

I believe I'll go that`a way!

[​IMG]
  5. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    For the first couple of miles this trail goes up and up. It was sooo quiet up there and the scenery was terrific! As always I regret not taking more pictures. I get so caught up in riding that I just forget.

[​IMG]

The trees were just starting to change. I bet it will be really nice in another week or so.

[​IMG]

By now, I'm completely lost and it's starting to rain. This looked like it would take me just North of Suches on Hwy 60. Wrong. I ended up way the heck North of Morgantown and it took me over half an hour to get back to Suches.

[​IMG]
  6. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    After an unplanned rainy ride back down Hwy 60 South I got to T.W.O. for lunch....a 3:30 lunch. There were still a few friends hanging around so after a lunch we decided to make another run or two up Hwy 129.

[​IMG]

I'm in the process of trying to upload the videos from the ride up to the top...but my computer is giving me fits.

[​IMG]

After I left there I stopped by to say hey to Hoov...a friend that passed away this summer. When he was ill he said he sure wished he could ride up highway 129 again. We spread some of his ashes at the rockpile. :cry

[​IMG]

I said my good byes to everyone and stopped for gas before hitting the super slab for the trip home. I was hoping the rain would hold off...and it did.

[​IMG]
  7. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    I stayed in full tuck just about the hold way home at 75-80 mph and got a whopping 45 mpg. That's the best mileage I've gotten out of that bike since I bought it. Thought I'd go ahead and top off so I wouldn't have to in the morning.

[​IMG]

That's as far over as I care to go, thank you. [​IMG] For you Dual Sporters, Avon Gripsters are an awesome 80/20 tire and they last forver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of videos from Hwy 129 North from Turners Corner to the top of Blood Mountain. Let me know if they don't work, I'm still a n00b at posting videos. Oh and sorry about the shakes, I'm still working on the mount. I don't have a windscreen on the XR so the wind beats it up a bit...and the bike vibrates like a jackhammer.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=P1010020.flv

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=P1010021.flv

The End
    ---------------------------------

Next weeks is a camping trip to the lake....a lake that is yet to be determined! Stay tuned! :1drink
  9. Bob204bc

Bob204bc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great idea for a thread. A trip every weekend. Great Report. I'll be looking for more.
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The offroading part looked great!! I'll look forward to more updates every week!! :thumb

:lurk
  11. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweeeeet ride BBZ, we will have to hook up and I will show you around the FS roads.:clap You won't need the map.:lol3
  12. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    I will happily trade your knowledge of the roads for a steak lunch at T.W.O. :freaky
  13. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    Okay net guru`s...

When I click on the link it says link not found. However, when I click on it from georgiasportbike.com it works fine. Any ideas?

I tried to upload them to google video, but it's down.
  14. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear Let me know when and maybe we can make it happen.:wink:
  15. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
  16. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    OCT 13-15, 2006

Just a quick teaser!

[​IMG]

Quick explanation on this one. Set up my tripod and camera on 10 sec delay. Planned on posing just standing on the pegs for the pic. Left foot was already on it's peg and when I went to swing my right over the hard plastic center on my *tennis shoe* slipped off and I face planted. Palm is scratched and so is helmet...but otherwise okay. Could have been worse if the bike fell on me since no one else was around...

[​IMG]
  17. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Is it me, or is the video really fuzzy and out of focus? :dunno

A helmet mounted camera will eliminate buzzy videos :thumb
  18. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    13-15 OCT 2006! This one's a doozy.

--------

Day 1

Started out Friday night after work. Got the bike all packed up and ready to head out. Behold, I am a goon.

[​IMG]

I met up with a few friends to camp with for the weekend. I stopped down there to help them get setup...but they already had everything under control.

[​IMG]

My younger brother playing in the fire.

[​IMG]

And my older brother...can you tell we're related? :D

[​IMG]

I wasn't too far from were another dual sport riding buddy of mine works...so I dropped in to say hey.

[​IMG]

Hey Neil! :wave

[​IMG]

Neils slick DR650.

[​IMG]
  19. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    You are a bigger man then I.
    for:
    1) Posting this pic...
    2) explaining it...
    3) Taking it and then posting it and explaining it...

[​IMG]
    :clap:lol3:clap:lol3:freaky:clap:lol3:clap
  20. blackbirdzach

Oddometer:
    Day 2

Saturday started off with a stop by Sweetwater Creek State Park. The sun was out and the lake was steaming...so I had to take a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick explanation on this one. Set up my tripod and camera on 10 sec delay. Planned on posing just standing on the pegs for the pic. Left foot was already on it's peg and when I went to swing my right over the hard plastic center on my *tennis shoe* slipped off and I face planted. Palm is scratched and so is helmet...but otherwise okay. Could have been worse if the bike fell on me since no one else was around...

[​IMG]

This is the little lake where we camped. It's so quiet and peaceful down there. I wish I could build me a cabin and live there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This whole place was really old and had some neat history. The area around the lake was farming land back in the 1800's. This is an old food storage cellar for the winters. According to the guy that owns the land now, it was already in pretty bad shape when they bought the land when he was in his late 20's...he's 80 something now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to fish off this little pier when I was a kid...but this was the first time I'd been back in years. I was sad to see that time really doesn't slow down. I remember jumping off a diving board right there when I was probably 5 or 6 years old.

[​IMG]

Here's Mr Bill himself...one of the nicest guys you'll ever find. Thanks for letting us camp and play around on your land! :clap :freaky

[​IMG]

After a long chat it was getting dark and he was ready to turn in for the night. I jumped back on the bike and rode back to camp.

[​IMG]