Disc brakes on /2 Earls Forks

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by airheadpilot, Apr 14, 2008.

1. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer:
    I'm screwing around with a project bike - basically building an airhead entirely from parts. Since it was never a whole bike, I don't feel too obligated to stick to anything that could be described as "original." I had planned on using 1981-1984 forks with heavily modified internals because I'd like to run wire wheels but I want the stopping power of the Brembos. But then I stumbled across a good deal on a straight /2 Earls front end - missing the shocks and the wheel. I love the way my stepdad's R60/2 rides with the Earls fork, and am thinking that might be fun to play around with, but I still want the braking power of dual Brembos. I've seen them in the past so I know it's been done. Anyone out there have good photos of a BMW Earls fork front end modified to run dual calipers? Better yet, has anyone done it and can give me an idea of the level of fabrication required, beyond just welding the tangs for the calipers on the bottom of the swinging arm? Maybe nothing comes of it, but I'm having fun thinking outside of the box.

Thanks!

Andrew
    1970 BMW R50/5 project bike
    1971 Moto Guzzi V750 Ambassador
    1972 BMW R75/5
    2000 Honda XR650R dual sport
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 wife's bike
    2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer:
    Actually, that's very helpful. I was thinking of using Brembos from a post-1980 airhead, but it's basically the same idea. What that shows me is that the Earls will fit up to a /5 headstock and that a later wheel (I'm thinking a /6 hub with dual discs) will fit, albeit it with possibly some futzing (technical term) with the axle and bearing preload.

Thanks!

Andrew
  4. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The calipers will hit the spokes, unless you find a rare 100CS wire wheel, some R65(?) hubs or those from a G/S. The /6 and 7 hubs won't work.
  6. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
  7. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. Tony Collett

Tony Collett n00b

Oddometer:
    Have just completed doing this Disk Brake conversion. Not that difficult, just not to be rushed. If you need some pointers, I can help as there are many ways to skin this cat. Happy Trails, My email is : tony.collett@shaw.ca