urbanscootin.com

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by DaBinChe, Jul 8, 2014.

1. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    is back up and running again, now accepting new members. I'll be back on there too. It was one of the original scooter forums just before scooters popularity peaked again in 2006....I can't believe it has been 10years since I first got a ruckus and got involved in scootering lifestyle.

You might find me less active here on advrider
  2. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    D

Urbanscootin is for smaller bikes. You seem to have a preference for small scoots and yet have been everywhere! :clap

I'm curious, what's the biggest cc scoot or bike you've owned?
  3. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Largest motos that I ever ridden are police cruisers. Had some training on them about 5 years back. As for what I ever had is currently what I have now, my w650.

The largest scoots I ever had are elite150 and currently sh150. 150 class is the largest I want in a scoot any more then that then you are getting into the automatic motorcycle territory. Scooters, first and foremost, are be urban bikes. This means small, agile, easy to park, gas and go, built in storage, etc...everything that makes it perfect for the urban environment. Once you go larger then you give up some of these things that makes small scoots the ultimate urban vehicles.

What I like about Urbanscootin.com is that it is a smaller more intimate setting you don't have a bunch of stuff that you are trying to look for. This site's scoot section having everything lump in one makes it harder to look for certain things.
  4. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    Good points on scooters tho' not all might agree they are just urban bikes.

Thanks for info. Don't forget us here on ADV!
  5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have had training on police bikes back when I worked for the city. They were the old type KZ1000P bikes. This was just one of the perks of being a long time city employee, just like the ability to use the police departments indoor shooting range. All you had to do was have a motorcycle licence, fill out a bunch of paperwork, and be ready when there was an opening. My boss, a long time Goldwing rider, also went through a lot of this training. They had a special course laid out, and it was way more complicated any test you take to get a motorcycle license. You could even do formation riding with real cops once you had proven you had the skill. Cops really do get on and off their bikes from the wrong side.

I also prefer small scooters, they are all I have ever owned. I believe they are where most of the fun is. Parking lot test rides on several maxi scooters tended to back up my feelings on that. I tend to think of maxis as being mostly for highway touring. My only real reason for probably eventually getting one will be physical problems related to getting on and off of and shifting motorcycles.

Obviously many people have ridden very long distances on small scooters. I feel that I may be a bit on the large side for that. That is the main thing that attracts me to the HD200. It is a small scooter for someone my size, it has a load capacity of nearly 400 pounds, and it should be able to cruise down the highway at 55 mph without overstressing itself. It should also be pretty maneuverable in town.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    I checked out that forum - seems based around Honda Metropolitans. My PCX would be "big iron" there. :rofl

Since getting the PCX, we have had fun with what I call "urban adventure cruising"... some big cities are better for that than others. Riding the twisties here in the San Juan Islands (and occasionally the mainland) has been pure joy.

It took me a while (over 4 decades, I'm a slow learner :lol3), but I totally get the whole appeal of a small scoot. Of course, each person is going to have a different idea of what size is right.

Best wishes,
    Jim
  7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    That what she said.
  8. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JerryH,

I have an HD200 and at 55mph it's just loafing along.
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chuck Smith did the scooter cannonball on a Kymco People 250.
    [​IMG]

He normally rides various 125-150cc scooters but wanted something bigger for the cannonball. I've never seen Chick on a maxi either.