Givi helmets... X.01?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by flux_capacitor, Feb 18, 2008.

1. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got friendly response from Givi USA. Givi Italy closed for August but they will address issue when open again.
    Steve.
  2. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got response from Revzilla. Tech guy pulled another helmet from warehouse and found NO vent passages in the foam just as I described. He is mystified and digging further. Gotta love Revzilla. I freely admit I am enjoying this WAY too much but hey, my life is boring. Thanks Jon (Revzilla) and Tony (Givi USA).

Steve.
  3. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got to get to the bottom of things these days. It will help future development and product design. I also need to ask Givi a few questions. I want to know what pinlock insert will fit, I have seen a Givi one for that make on the Givi accessories list, but you can only purchase online if you are a dealer. Also they state that the peak can be removed which I have shown in my video review, but if you do, you do not have the visor covers to hide the visor mechanism, I had to take the ones off my Givi X.01 for the video, this was not thought out by Givi and colour matching covers should have been provided. Let us know how you get on.
  4. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My helmet came with the giant plastic washer things in a bag with the red tool and the covers for chinpiece removal. It does not have studs for pinlock. Noticed pinlock insert for sale on ebay from UK. I would like the summer chinpiece if it fit on the Touring model. Have you tried swapping by chance? Would be nice if Givi sold parts. Also would like to know if possible to remove the small dark shield for cleaning.
    Steve.
  5. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I just gave it a try and it fits fine and looks not bad, it would probably be better if it was white. I am sure you can buy the chin bars as an accessory, all you need is the part number and a dealer with a Givi account. I will include a few pics as the visor doesn't completely seal, but this wouldn't be a problem in a dry climate. If you don't have the pinlock studs, then they need to send you a new visor as you shouldn't be expected to drill the holes yourself. I have found a UK supplier for the visor insert for £23 on ebay, thanks.

[​IMG]Images here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/23892420@N06/9471355719/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23892420@N06/9471357935/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23892420@N06/9471360103/

[​IMG]
  6. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Your photos are marked as "private", I can't see them.
  7. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Irish. Couldn't get pics,though.
  8. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks, fixed now.
  9. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looks like the US DOT version is different.
  10. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to let you know this has got the chin bar from my Givi X.01 helmet in the picture, just to show that other chin bars fit.
  11. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that setup. Lots of air but still SOME protection. I have too many scraped up helmets to feel good about chinless. :)
  12. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    I took the vent cover pieces off and much to my surprise (see pics), there are no vents that go through to the interior of the helmet. What were they thinking?

I have emailed Pietro Ambrosioni, Givi USA rep whom I bought it from at the MOA rally. Stay tuned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Steve, Can you show us some pics of the vents you carved and how you went about it?

14. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To my surprise mine is exactly the same as yours. Can you see black mesh material through those holes or just polystyrene?
  15. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rather ashamed to. Very ugly. I first took off vent covers and inner cloth liner. I drilled a bunch of holes through the plastic and foam on top and a few holes at different angles through the rear vent hole from the outside. On the inside I used a grinder on a Dremel to grind a bunch of passages in the foam, sort of connecting the dots. I have in the past used a soldering iron to melt extra passages into foam. Scrape with spoon or knife to smooth edges.
    Disclaimer: DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR HELMET! DO NOT MODIFY YOUR SAFETY GEAR IN ANY WAY! YOU COULD DIE OR WORSE.
    The Givi foam has a sort of coarse fiberglass layer over the top that looks like a good idea for keeping the foam in one piece.
    Steve
  16. Irishrover63

Irishrover63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steve, I can understand you making those alterations. In my case this country never gets hot enough to justify the extra ventilation. If anything there is a hint of Autumn in the air here, so I will be looking for as much draft exclusion as I can manage. I do still think that Givi are experimenting with this helmet.
  17. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in southern California. It easily tops 100F at times and my hopes were for this to be an airy summer helmet. A helmet with no ventilation in this country could get you hurt. I was interested to see one of their headquarters is in Reno Nevada. They must not wear their own stuff. Like Blue said, "what were they thinking". They probably figure nobody really goes to the desert. Obviously never heard of ADVrider. :)
  18. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    When I emailed my contact at Givi USA that sold me the helmet, I included the daily email digest of yesterday's postings. I'm reasonably confident that Givi will make good on this issue and end up sending us replacements that actually have vents. If not, I think we would have recourse via our credit card company in contesting the charge.

More anon...

19. shwurr

shwurr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "GIVI continues to be driven by the motivation and determination experienced on the very first day. This philosophy has brought to life the project HPS (Head Protection System) which has allowed the company to enter into the helmet market with a "mission" founded in protection. True diligence and care that have translated into the introduction of technological solutions that are extremely functional, detailed and offer maximum reliability.
    At the root of all GIVI products, from the smallest accessory to the top of the range helmet, there are always two inseparable elements: the most innovative technology and the recognized quality of being hand made in Italy."

I took that from Givi's website. Funny, my helmet says MADE IN TAIWAN.
    Steve.
  20. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Pietro at Givi USA, whom I bought my helmet from, responded to my email with this reply:

Hey Reid, thank you for your email.
    We recently became aware of the problem and I was trying my best to clarify the situation with Italy before taking any further step.
    Unfortunately August is vacation month in Italy and I haven't received any reply back, yet.
    I'll contact you back as soon as they give me indications on how to fix the situation, but I'm afraid it won't be before a couple of weeks.
    Thank you for your patience.

Pietro Ambrosioni