Electrical accessory outlets at cockpit

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Tim Graichen, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Tim Graichen

Tim Graichen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm putting together a list of needed items and ideas regarding the running of accessory outlets, indicators and such to the cockpit area of my R12GS.

Currently the bike is stock, with only the one CANBUS BMW outlet on the left side of the bike behind the rider's leg. From what I gather, this is a fairly useless outlet. I also have one Battery Tender pigtail at the same location, attached direct to the battery. I know this pigtail has a lot more value.

I'm planning on doing a major electric upgrade over the winter, and was really hoping to get input from those that have added specialty plugs, indicators, switches, etc. to the cockpit area of their bike OR ELSEWHERE, and what changes they would make if doing it over? I understand that everything could be run direct to the battery or to the switched fuse block, but I'm looking for slick convenience ideas.

Some ideas:

1) TT or similar sheet metal instrument surround with two 12v outlets with enough space to mount other switches, outlets, indicators etc.
    2) Aux. fuse block, relay activated.
    3) Clearwater lights
    4) Ability to run full heated clothing (powered from cockpit location or mid-bike location? Controllers rheostats on belt or hard mounted somewhere?)
    5) Garmin in locking TT mount (TT mount wired direct to switched fuse block?)
    6) Inside tank bag charging for portable devices. (power from where to make bag removal easy?)
    7) Any convenience rocker or toggle switches needed?)
    8) Voltage readout or indicator of some sort?
    9) Specialty high amp. plug of some sort, located somewhere on the bike for convenient jumper cable use?
    10) Radar detector specific connection? (is this a coaxial plug)
    11) Charging for USB devices? Plan on charging in tank bag.
    12) SPOT (plug in?)
    13) GoPro (plug in?)
    14) Take the existing stock mid-bike BMW plug off of the CAMBUS and use with direct 12V?
    15) 12V electric inside TT ZIGA Pro panniers, or too much trouble for nothing?

Other cool, slick ideas appreciated! PLEASE POST PICTURES!
  2. wadenelson

wadenelson Rider/Writer

Oddometer:
    Be sure and consider rain/spray getting in all your outlets, etc.

[​IMG]
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I have these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use them for my GPS and charging my phone.

By the way, and all day rain does not make a difference. These drain out excess water and work fine.
  4. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry for the GoPro as while it's in the case mounted for recording you won't be charging it..

I would place the USB charger near the wind reflector close to the windshield base so you can still connect a cable and be charging while it rains.. very convenient when you live in a County where it rains 7 months a year :D

There's a Touratech cockpit that comes with a USB plug and a CANBUS extension I believe.. it will be better if it had more USB plugs in my opinion..
  5. Perkio

Perkio Just "Perk" Please.

Oddometer:
    I have this also, the add on eBay or amazon (can't remember) read 2 amp USB port, it didn't say that it was 2 one amp ports.
    Try to find one with at least one 2 amp port for high speed phone charging.
    Mine will barely charge my phone if I'm using Waze or a similar mapping program

6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I wonder if yours and mine are the same? I can run/charge my GPS and charge my Samsung S4 or iPhone 4S while using them with no issues.

Here is mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151222658337?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

[​IMG]
  7. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Good thread. I'm doing some of these upgrades also.
  8. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
  9. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
  10. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    If I use these chargers for my phone which I use for music, and is hard wired too my autocom, I would still need a ground loop isolator, correct?

Does anyone have an inexpensive source for ground loop isolators?
  11. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    You will need to use an isolator if you plan on charging the phone while it is connected to the Autocom.
    Autocom has the ridiculously expensive stereo audio lead isolated 64 ML-PI 1314, the cheapest being about $50 on Ebay.
    You can also just buy the 1/8" stereo leads and solder in a GLI or you can purchase one of these cheap units and use a male/female adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5MM-HEADP...18?pt=US_Adapters&hash=item41770ac296&vxp=mtr
  12. Tim Graichen

Tim Graichen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OkAY, that covers the USB options, but how about heated clothes, in tank bag charging, voltage indicators etc. I know I've seen some pretty elaborate cockpit setups on these forums before.
  13. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you use the TT cockpit cover it needs to be wired to the battery or a fuse box (I use an Eastern Beaver) and it will easily power heated clothes (or anything else). Also, some have taken the BMW outlet on the side of the bike and rewired it directly to the battery. You can also use the battery tender pigtail as an output for items like heated clothing.

For tank bag charging, just run a separate line from the fuse box (that you will add under the seat) to the tank bag. I run my plug for my heated clothes into the small pocket on the front (back?) of my tank bag. This way it's right next to my jacket.

Between a TT cockpit cover, a side outlet wired directly to the battery, a battery tender pigtail and a line to your tank bag you should have plenty of power wherever you need it.

You can also use a couple of these for usb charging and remove them easily if you need to have a cig plug for something else. [​IMG]
  14. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I like this: Cockpit Cover 2, Cig +BMW socket R1200GS / ADV, 2008-on from Touratech. I don't have this installed, but I do like how clean it looks.

[​IMG]

Tank bag charging: I just run one or two cords from my dual USB outlet. Nothing fancy and pretty much straight forward.

Voltage indicators - I too have been considering that.

Robert has this write up on the Dispatch1 ... not sure if I'm really up for that just yet...

I've got three additional items in my dashboard compared to stock - GPS, dual USB outlet, and a lighted LED switch for my oil cooler fan.

Thoughts - I like and need all of the items that I have on the dashboard - but running wiring multiple times for each new item installed from my fuseblock under the seat seems... to be a pain... looking into a better way to do that...

As far as heated clothing sockets - I left them on the side of the bike below the seat. That way the dashboard doesn't get too cluttered. Which is easy to do.

These are wired to the fuse block under the seat... made from a scrap piece of plexiglass...
    Edit - The 'hole' or area above the sockets was left open for my battery charger plug (red/black wire in the background) and my other plug to run my air compressor. Basically for accessibility and for some protection.

[​IMG]
  15. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Belkin USB adapter in BDCW side socket ....
  16. paulgadget

paulgadget Forever Learning

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info, ordered and on the way! [emoji106]
  17. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer: