where to buy sheet aluminum locally?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fiep, Jan 11, 2011.

1. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    only need a few small pieces for a motor mount
    and have no idea where to start lokking

thanks
    fiep
  2. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowes and Home Depot carry some in the hardware depts. Any scrap dealers around your area? Check there too. Good luck.
  3. fxstbiluigi

fxstbiluigi Long timer

Oddometer:
    What size pieces,how many of each and what thickness do you need?
    Are there any local fab shops? local welding shops? metal or industrial supply dealers? scrap metal dealers?
  4. changingground

changingground Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy the aluminum that big box stores sell. It's low grade cheap soft gummy crap that I wouldn't trust for anything that is under any kind of stress.

McMaster Carr sells various material on their website and shipping is usually quite fast. That's where I get small quantities of various metal -- they stock an amazing array of alloys too.
  6. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    do a search for "metals supermarket" they usually have a very good assortment and sell over the counter ( if they don't have what youre looking for, they'll have it shiped in within a day or three)- i think they will cut to size too. very crafty of you not to let out just where you are
  7. fxstbiluigi

fxstbiluigi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to break it to ya DNJ but 5356 or 6061 alum. is the same no matter where ya get it. btw this isn't intended as a hi- jack but did anyone hear about what Home Depot did to Smith&Wesson?
  8. fxstbiluigi

fxstbiluigi Long timer

Oddometer:
    No? OK just a minor hi-jak an heads up about Home-Depot. Smith & Wesson wanted to be the general contractor and do some remodeling so they applied for credit at home depot, the app. was approved. The next day the credit application was DENIED because Home depot refuses to do business with anyone connected with firearms. Yup,cops, military. I'll look for the article tomorrow an start a thread. Hi-jak over. now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
  9. lanceputnam

lanceputnam Hayden's Dad

Oddometer:
    Careful there hero... Home Depot is actually VERY Military friendly. They offer a no questions asked 10% discount to all service members and veterans. The also have veteran re-intergration programs for employment. I can also vouch for them first hand as I have had many successful contracts fulfilled with them for the United States Army.
  10. Jonex

Jonex Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/aluminum.html

The aluminum at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. is FECES. Please do not ever use it for anything. The steel they sell is low grade crap, too. Don't use it, either.

I try to buy locally but in this time of mouse click today front porch tomorrow, why mess around?

For an engine mount, you're going to want to use at least 6061-T6, but 7075 might be a better bet. Personally, I'd use 304 stainless if it isn't going to be welded - almost as strong as 4130 but it won't rust (welding reduces its strength and makes it more brittle).
  11. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I'll concur with DevilNinjaDog on HD's quality. Just because that sticker says 6061 or 7075, well, it's just a sticker. Try welding, bending, or cutting it alongside real metals-a kid can tell the difference. It's shit.

I started dealing with a local fab/sheetmetal shop for bits and pieces, and their attitude is usually "Aw, give me five bucks for it..." They're also more than willing to weld my aluminum bits together after I manipulate them into sizes and shapes, at worthwhile costs to me.

It pays to develop a relationship with a local shop-you get free advice and engineering know-how, good prices, and a willingness to help on their part. You WON'T get this from a click-and-ship website.

Plus, the owner there rides more miles per year than I've ridden in my life.
  12. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    There is a company called Thyssen-Krupp, they have distribution centers all over the world. I know for a fact they are in Ga because I worked in a few of them. What I don't know is if they sell to the public, but they do own a company that sells small quantities online, here is the link.
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/tkmnabuy.cfm
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Do you have an aluminium boat builder anywhere local? They are a great source of cheap scraps of alu & usually have a big range of thicknesses & sizes.

Cheers
    Clint
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Local recycler may also have what you need ..

the hardware stores round here only carry aluminum sheet in sizes way too thin to act as motormounts -- number plates, mebbe, but not motormounts
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
  16. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
  17. fxstbiluigi

fxstbiluigi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aluminum and stainless are about the same price pre pound. and all metal is sold by the lb. As far a strenght and durability is concerened stainless is far superiour to alum. Where 1/4" alum. is recommended 10/ga (1/8") stainless can be used with a longer life span because stainless is more resistant to corrosion than the alum. ( type 304 ss is good for most applications but if salt water is envolved type 316 ss is a better choice).
  18. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me guess, you saw this in an email.........?

19. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    whow guys
    did not mean to stir such a discussion
    but great information, keep going

a friendly fellow over in Alabama promised to send the scarps I need
    for my motor mount, so I can continue with my weirdo project bike
    thank you

but who knows
    the poor thing will need a skid plate
    if it ever does get road ready
  20. fxstbiluigi

fxstbiluigi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna get drawn and quartered for messin the orig. up so bad..... But here is what happened. ( It was an article ina magazine). It was Home Depot credit services, Citibank (south Dakota) and Warne Mounts ( they make scope mounts ) If you want to read the article it's in the Feb issue of Handguns magazine, bottom of page 10. Or I could fax it to you.