Which LED replacement bulb?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by arnoldus, Nov 27, 2014.

1. arnoldus

arnoldus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed that there are several vendors here selling LED bulbs or even entire units for headlight replacement. (I.e. Cyclops adventures, Advmonster, etc).
    Some have a fan, other are passively cooled.

Is there a consensus as to which ones have the best fit and quality for the money?
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a search regarding the ADVMonster H7 replacement...so far have not found any negative stuff........ not a lot of details either...hopefully someone will chime in...I just put the fourth standard H7 in my GS...I buy the cheap ones because I'm really cheap...:1drink
  3. advrider76

advrider76 WTF!!! Why not?

Oddometer:
    I have the ADVmonster H4 LED bulb, the new model. So far pretty good but it has been so cold here at night i have not had much of a chance to ride at night. It is brighter then the stock halogen, and i like the beam pattern from it, when you hit the high beam it lights the top of the trees.
  4. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    I've got the Cyclops H4 replacement. FWIW it's 600 extra lumens than the ADVmonster v2. I don't think it would make much of a difference. Definitely brighter than stock low beam. The throw of the high beam is a little disappointing honestly, but that's probably because I'm using the shitty stock reflector rather than an effect of the bulb.

All in all I'm happy with it. Make sure you adjust the headlight angle after installing whatever bulb.

If you really want to throw good light, get a projector kit.
  5. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say the throw is worse than the filament, but it's not as much of an improvement as what is closer.
  6. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I have one of the new style ADVmonster H4 LEDs, and this is my experience as well.

Same lighting pattern (which in my case was sort of crappy; OK low beam, high lights the tree tops), but holy damn is it brighter. You can definitely see the pattern better, whatever it is.

I chose this one specifically because there are no fans or moving parts, because ADVmonster has a good reputation, and because it's been tested for fit in many different bikes. When it arrived, I was a little taken aback to find that it was the new style (for some reason, they didn't tell anyone they changed the design) but I was pleased to find that the new design was even more compact, enabling it to fit in my smallest headlight shell.