Honda vt500 Ascot

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by baybueller, Jan 21, 2011.

1. baybueller

baybueller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to check out an 84 tomorrow for a project bike. Owner says it runs well but lately has problems starting. The bike looks in decent shape and has 30k miles;
    I have been around bikes a long time but know little about Honda. Was wondering if the braintrust has any experience with these and if there are any issues I should watch for.
    Always liked the look of these and would like to add one to the stable.
    Thanks for any input. Cheers, Robert.
  2. ExTex

ExTex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Bikes and even better engines.
    Only common problem is the spark coils go bad from the heat (They are loated directly above the front cylinder). Even so, the coils make it for 20 years before they go bad.
    Bad coils mean the engines are hard to restart after getting hot. New coils are available... same as VT500 Shadow.

Give it a good home,
  3. crash007

crash007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure the gas tank is in good working condition. A replacement will be about 600.

It a bike that likes to run stock, so look for any fuel/air/pipe changes.

Check out the ascot yahoo group great info.

Lot of us VT500 peeps at

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/

Crash
  4. baybueller

Oddometer:
    Well for better or worse I now own an Ascot. Rough around the edges and truly a project bike. The PO mentioned poor running when hot so it looks like you called it about the coils.
    Oil leakage and sputtering of oil out the supertrapp exh. Looks like I will know Hondas soon.
    thanks for the input.
    Cheers. Robert.
  5. ExTex

ExTex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the buy. It sounds like a project, but I think you will enjoy it. Get a used Service manual from Ebay.

Honda still makes coils, they are a bit pricey, but they do bolt on. Dynatek coils will work, but you will have to make a bracket to hold them. http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/coils/

Used coils are on Ebay all the time, but it is hard to buy something as old as what quit.

Ride Safely,
  6. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    My first street bike and still the only one I've ever purchased new. Not one problem. Ever.

Well, except for that Vista Cruiser. :bluduh
  7. baybueller

Oddometer:
    I have been doing homework and the plus is its a rather rare bike. The minus is its a rather rare bike.
    The previous owners were hacks and the bike lived near the coast (SF). I was hoping to do a full stock resto. but I cant see putting 5k into a 2k at best bike. Looks like it will be a modified bike.
  8. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make it the way you want it! There's alot of ugly stuff that can be replaced.

[​IMG]
  9. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heres another version.

[​IMG]
    Johann likes this.
  10. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a 84 for the wife and she loves it. As a mater of fact so do I . I ride it to work every time she is not looking:) Fun scooot. I echo agreament with the rest about the small problems they have already mentioned.
  11. newride

newride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    was my road first bike. It was such a solid, fun little machine. As a remember, pretty quick too. Congrats!
  12. nedc

nedc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably the best bike I ever owned. If it was just a little bigger i would probably still have it. If you are around 5'10" or under, it is perfect.
  13. baybueller

Oddometer:
    It is on the lift now and ready for teardown. Thanks for the input and pictures.
    If this ends well I will post pictures.
  14. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Sweet.
  15. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Kind of makes me think I should have hung on to the Ascot and not trade it for a KLR 250!
  16. sharps5090

sharps5090 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got one new in 84, sold it 11 or 12 years later. Never had any problems with it, changed the oil and tires and that was it. Good bike, wish I had still had it. Good Luck with your find.
  17. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jehu, you got any details on this bike? Subtle changes, but it does look sharp!
  19. page62

page62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an '83 Ascot...but I'm 6'2", and despite even having a custom tall seat made, I still looked like a bear at the circus on a minibike when I rode that thing. So, regrettably, I sold it. The engines don't even hit the powerband until 5K rpm, so don't be a afraid to rev it! An amazingly quick bike considering the little 500cc v-twin!

BTW: If anyone is interested in the custom tall seat, I still have it. PM me... :evil
  20. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    another tall guy here. other than the hump in the seat being right where I wanted to sit, I loved the one I had. I never realized how small it was untill I saw a photo of me standing next to it. looked like a merry-go-round bike. I've often thought about calling the lady I sold it to and trying to buy it back. I've got a gixxer 600 front end that would really look good on it.