R100GSPD, bent frame

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Cpt. Ron, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    My crash in February not only broke my arm, but bent my frame a wee bit. I found out when I tried reassembling the bike, only to find out I have to offset the swingarm to the right in order for the driveshaft u-joint to clear the swingarm. Besides that, there is no noticeable distortion in the frame, even after looking for cracked/checked paint or broken welds.

I have the option of The Frame Man and a GMD Computrack in Sacramento. I could also go the HPN route, but that's pricey ($1,100 US just for frame reinforcing). The Frame Man could also do th welding necessary for reinforcing, but the local GMD won't weld on the frame.

Any opinions?
  2. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Frame Man

I had him straighten my R80 frame and will be sending the swingarm down to them this summer.
    As far as reinforcement goes....leave it alone. Maybe reinforce the gussets at the head tube. The frame stiffening kits tend to transfer the load to the top tube which eventually cracks right in the middle.

I think Wudo sells the frame tabs so that you can have the welding done by anyone you trust.

Calfornia BMW also has a welder nearby who's experienced in the art of airhead from reinforcement.

That's my $.02

Let the rubber cow be rubber

PS A coworker just launched himself off of his Harley this past weekend.....he was awarded with two, yes two, broken wrists!
  3. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    If I was to do frame reinforcing, it would be like the HPN bikes, not a frame strengthing kit.

Were you happy with the workmanship and turnaround of the work they did for you? Do you know how they measure and adjust the frame? I may just truck the bike over there tomorrow morning to go over it with them before committing.
  4. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was okay with it. They dont let you watch what they do or even let you into the room where they have the flat table.
    But there were no visible over-stressed points. I strung up the frame and checked that there was symetry side to side with a digital caliper. Just like we used to do with bicycles and it checked out okay.
    The R80 g/s frame they did for me had been hit by another BMW....a 630i...
    It was much better after The Frame Man did his thing.
    Have them check your swingarm while they're at it....I don't think that they can do anything about it but they can tell you if it's toast.
    Cheers,
    Jorge

PS-
    Have you talked to Mike Byers lately?
  5. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

No, I haven't. But I should talk to him about his last issue with his PD frame. The gussets on the headstalk started to crack. It was listed somewhere here on Advrider.