Buying a New 2014 V Strom 650 ABS

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by thoko, Sep 5, 2014.

1. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    They are even cheaper up here new, suprisingly
  2. thoko

thoko n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    Sorry for being MIA on this thread the past 2 days. After reading everyone's comments I went back and started looking on CL again. Lo and behold someone had just posted a 2013 650 ABS Adventure model for a little under $7k. 240 miles plus some minor scratches from being dropped once. Practically a brand new engine for not having been ridden much at all. Heck, it has yet to make to the first service. I just got the paperwork done this morning and here we are :) Wish us both luck!!

Attached Files:

3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    awesome!! they are wonderful bikes that you will NOT outgrow. I've got half a million miles on bmws, picked up a 2012 adv strom last year, and haven't ridden any of the beemers since!! I simply love the machine, it's got a great little engine that will have you asking yourself if it's really a 650.
    Enjoy your new bike, and welcome to the world of motorcycling!
  4. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Excellent find!

Enjoy!
  5. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great bike . . . Here is a heads up: If you notice a 4,700 RPM harmonic vibration from the OEM crash bars (which mount to the engine mount bolt), adding rubber washers to the front two mounting bolts has helped many riders.

Also, mounting a skid guard to the front of the crash bars changes the harmonic. Some riders choose to replace the crash bars with frame sliders to stop the tuning fork-type vibration.

Many riders have not had any issues. Enjoy your bike!

[​IMG]
  6. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    outstanding! and you got the highly coveted gray model. Grays are known to be substantially faster than the lesser colors.

I tossed my crash bars and added frame sliders from SVRacing. You should check them out, as well as Adventuretech.com. Great supporters of the V-Strom.

heres's a couple of websites you may also be interested in
    stromtroopers.com
    vsari.com

Congrats on the new ride - and be careful out there....
  7. New2dualsport

New2dualsport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This

Skip the 650 and go for the 2014 1000:evil
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also started on the vstrom 650 back in 2008. It was a bit much at first, but after a few weeks I started to get the hang of it. Definitely a good one to learn on because you won't outgrow it for a few years.

I have to also respect those saying start smaller, the xt225 is perfect for beginners and beyond as well. I definitely wouldn't start out above 650! Welcome to the asylum!
  9. thoko

thoko n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip buddy!
  10. thoko

thoko n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you all! Looking forward to learning from you all :)
  11. slugsmasher

slugsmasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a vstrom also. Still riding it after 4 years and still alive and lovin it. Stay focused, don't be stupid you'll be fine too.
  12. thoko

thoko n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey mrbreeze,
    Do you have the adventure model as well? Did you go with just the frame sliders or have another after market crash bar as well?