New BMW Scooters

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by oldhippie1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    The link doesn't work. It wants me to sign into Cox email.
  3. Moto Mark

Moto Mark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are in the US now, there's about two dozen in Baltimore at the BMW dealer meeting. They should hit the showroom floor by mid-November.
  4. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw three of em yesterday at the dealer - 2 lux ones and a sport. They look pretty substantial... Like a mini K1600GTL :D
  5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just don't understand the appeal of a scooter as big as a large motorcycle. I got into scooters to go smaller, and to avoid shifting (medical issues) I would like a freeway capable scooter that is still physically small. I don't understand why a 600cc scooter has to be so much bigger and heavier than a 600cc motorcycle. Maybe something along the lines of an automatic Pacific Coast is what I need.
  6. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda Pacific Coast 57HP, 631lbs with oil and gas, Wheelbase 60.1 in, top speed 107 mph
    BMW C650GT, 59HP, 575lbs with oil and gas, wheelbase 61.2, top speed 115 mph.

Source. www.bikez.com

This supports the argument that a modern, freeway-capable scooter is not necessarily heavier than your chosen comparable motorcycle with a similar luggage and passenger carrying capacity and weather protection.
  7. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    I worried about the weight of the Silver Wing too (550 lbs. or so). I got rid of a KLR that was 441 pounds because it was too hard to ride. BUT the weight in the Wing is down low and once underway is not noticeable. It handles well even in the twisites and the weight helps when riding on the freeway or in wind... My main problem with the KLR was it was SO high I had to mount it like a horse (most people do) and off-road the weight became a serious factor. The Wing is NOT a dual-sport so that problem does not present! :rofl Don't misunderstand the KLR is a fine motorcycle but was not a good fit for the riding I do...
  8. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple of KLRs, their main problem was seat height. But that was back when I was in better condition. An automatic PC would be easy for me to ride, due to it's lower seat height and narrowness. The biggest issue I have found with maxi scooters is how wide they are, due to the floorboards. The Silverwing is a decent fit, because it has cutouts in the floorboards for your legs.

Yes, the PC is about as big and heavy as a maxi scooter, but in an entirely different way. Though the seat is higher, it is not too high. The main thing is how narrow it is by the pegs. Width causes a problem for me. When I first got my Goldwing 1500, also when I was in better condition, it came with floorboards and a heel and toe shifter. It was almost unrideable, because of the floorboards. They stuck out so far they prevented me from being able to reach the ground with my feet. I almosy dropped it a couple of times on the way home from buying it. After removing the floorboards and going back to the stock pegs, it was 1000% better. It is still a large heavy bike, but at least I can get my feet firmly on the ground now.

What about a bike like the Suzuki S40? It is a VERY small bike, not much bigger than a Honda Rebel, yet has 650cc. Their should be a way to put that engine, or the engine from a 650cc or 400cc dual sport into a small scooter. The Suzuki DRZ400 engine seems ideal. You could design a 400cc scooter no bigger than the Honda Reflex 250. Or at least it seems like you could.
  9. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just took delivery of mine. It runs stronger than my R80RT and about equal to my R100RS, except that it has ABS brakes,,, and heated seats,,, and heated grips,,, and a power adjustable windshield... basically all the amenities of my R1100RT. That's what it most reminds me of, a mid-sized version of the R1100RT.

[​IMG]
  10. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:

Congratulations on the new scooter. I like it, and will be going that route within a year or two.:wink:
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Ah. Finally an actual picture of one. Looks good. Doesn't look as long as the Japanese maxis, but that may be due to the angle of the picture. The floorboards look much narrower too, and the set looks higher. In fact, it looks a lot more like a motorcycle than a scooter.
  12. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I said to my salesperson when sitting on one at the dealer yesterday, it definitely took some cues from it. :deal. As for the scooter itself, it's pure BMW from a design and fit/finish standpoint. Dual disc, abs brakes up front, nice sized wheels (bmw car-like in form), a huge headlight, heated seats, and an electric adjustable windscreen...wow! The seat when lifted is supported by a nice hydraulic and which uncovers a massive storage area (I hope they will offer a top box though). It's very comfortable but it's also a bit tall and heavy (it dwarfed my Vespa when next to it), I suppose those are the give-ups if you want such a bike. I personally don't view it as a scooter but rather a smaller motorcycle that offers a step-thru. It should make for a great commuter, and a long distance one at that. :clap

Enjoy!
  13. Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro boon

Oddometer:
    Congratulations - that looks like an awesome machine. It makes the Yamaha Majesty parked next to you look tiny.
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's hope it runs stronger than a R80. Otherwise it would be a very expensive pig.
  15. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It's definitely nice. I like the layout much better than the Japanese maxis. I take it that is the GT model, which looks a lot better than the sport. All the information I could find said the price would be around $10,000, which is surprisingly low for a BMW anything, comparable to their smaller single cylinder adventure bikes. I have to admit I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I was expecting a Silverwing with a BMW emblem. And if the price is around $10K, it is very little more expensive than the Silverwing.
  16. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    In just the first 50 miles I put on it last night It is more of a step through motorcycle with an automatic transmission than what one would traditionally consider a scooter. It is about 20-25% larger than the Yamaha Majesty I have been happily commuting on for the last 2 years. It has tremendous brakes with great feel and yes I have engaged the ABS once already. Acceleration is light years ahead of the Majesty. You sit much higher and I have yet to find a graceful way of getting on and off the bike without scuffing my shoe across the tunnel's painted surface. On the positive side, ther is TONS of legroom. The headlights are on par with the Majesty's (which are very good) but since I do so much of my riding at night and pre-dawn in areas of heavy deer population, I'll be fitting a set of Rigid Industry's SRM2 driving lights. I would rather have this bike than a F800ST as it fits my riding style and conditions better. Think of a K1600GTL sized for those who don't want to ride a super fast Winnebago.
  17. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    First cold weather commute and I'm impressed with the storage space: 1 XXXL helmet, 3 jackets, 1pair of ski pants, 1 polar-fleece pullover, 1 pair of winter gloves and still have a little room leftover.

[​IMG]
  18. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here the basic one is selling for the same kind of money as a F800GS...

No thanks.

It's an automatic battleship. I really don't have use for that kind of thing, the magnitude of the thing makes it too cumbersome.

I just don't get maxiscooters at all.
  19. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank goodness for a marketplace full of choices....something for everyone.
  20. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    Not a problem, nobody is forcing you to buy one.