Weak heated grips - GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TrailCruiser, Dec 15, 2014.

1. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that we all have our heated grips turned up on "high" this time of year I've confirmed what I've suspected for a while now... the heated grips on my '14 GSW are very weak, so much so that I'm not sure they are normal. I wanted to check with others here...
    1. Anyone else having trouble with heated grips on a GSW or GSAW?
    2. My grips are far weaker than any other motorcycle that I've owned or ridden, what are other owners experiencing?
    I took an hour ride out for breakfast on Sunday where the outside air temp was in the low 30s and when I got to my destination I took off my gloves and grabbed the grips with them still on and engine running and they were warm at best, no issue holding them with my bare hands at all. Any other bike I can remember you can't hold your bare hands on them in the "high" position, too hot.
    My dealer is 150 miles away over a mountain pass, not sure if I should take it in for warranty service only to have them pronounce them "normal".
  2. Gary Stofer

Gary Stofer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They all do that. Or at least mine operate as you described.
  3. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 14 GSW grips are weaker than my old 2007 Hexhead GS, that's for sure.
  4. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine are not as weak as yours. After an hour ride with them on high they are hot to the bare hand but not so much I can't hold on.
    Through gloves the heated grips are basically useless.
  5. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So that's three so far that are weak like mine, likely normal then, darn.
  6. bobcowin

bobcowin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2013 1200GS grips were nothing like as effective as my 800GS was. My new 2015 1200GS seems much better. Even at 32 degrees I only needed the low setting around town.
  7. calfroper

calfroper In it to win it.

Oddometer:
    So do you ride in cold weather with heated grips on and no gloves? That seems odd to me. My 14 has great heat. After about 20 minutes I turn them down to low......with gloves on. Something wrong with yours.
  8. TTucker

TTucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have only 500 miles on my new 2015 GSW and have heated grips for the first time. Mine seem to be pretty warm but I have nothing to compare them to. One day I was messing with all the new controls and had turned them on, on high. I put my hand on the grip not knowing that they were even on and went, Wow! I then discovered that they were on. It was funny, the first day that I rode it in cold weather, I had forgotten that I had them at first and then turned them on.:clap
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know when I pick my 2015 up on Saturday. It should be somewhat crisp that day!
  10. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Especially if you are riding b****. :rofl :rofl :rofl
  11. Mtbcoach

Mtbcoach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't find mine weak, work well into the 40's for me. I think they are very warm to the touch, better with thinner gloves for sure. I'd get them checked out next visit to the dealership, at least give them a call...
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :fyyff
  13. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thwak :thwak :thwak
  14. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy with mine, 3 bars (of 5) is good down to the mid-30's at freeway speeds. Heated seat not so much (I have a '15 RT). Or maybe I have too much insulation down there...
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I should be good if I hope to enlist your assistance to pick up my bike from Mortons on Saturday! :shog
  16. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I never run them on high. On high, they are uncomfortably hot, with gloves on. '15 GSAW
  17. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '13 GSW had weak heated grips. I complained to the dealer with no results. Some guy in the UK said there was a firware update to fix the weak grips but I never could get any traction with my dealer.

I bought a '14 RT that I had until I sold it back after the shock recall. Those grips were nice and hot. So much so that I did a test of the grips on my GSW vs. my RTW. See this post linked below for the results.

The grips on my '15 GSAW are much better than the '13 GSW but not as good as the RTW. I'll do the same test on them next chance I get.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934808
  18. Byrdguy

Byrdguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the ones on my 08 hexhead were warmer than my 14 GSA. I know the handguards were better (larger) and that may also be a factor. I've seen some nice Givi extensions for the GSW factory guards I may go for.
  19. Ravedigger

Ravedigger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine are terrible on my 2014. I had Oxfords on my old Kawasaki that would literally leave burn marks on my hands at 75% even with gloves on. I'm really disappointed in the heat output of the stock GSW grips.
  20. Hutchison

Hutchison RTR

Oddometer:
    14 GSA, weak, especially the left one. I thought it may have something to do with me needing to adjust the left hand guard (bad angle too much air hitting it when riding). Will take the bike in to have it checked first chance I getÂ….