WIthumper - WI twisties and hills between Milton and Neillsville

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by WIthumper, Aug 25, 2008.

1. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Well, I wanted to contribute to this awesome site so I created and validated a loop to share as sporty ADV/Dual Sport ride between Milton and Neillsville, WI which can be run by most any bike, but the sandy sections are better suited to ADV and smaller Dual Sport bikes. This is what I ended up with...

The file includes 700 + miles of the twistiest, hilliest and scenic back country roads I could muster between the two locations. There are also some sandy sections to keep it mixed up a bit. The sandy sections are around the Warrens area on the East loop and between Black River Falls and Millston on the West Loop. There are more gravel sections on the East loop and most of them are west of the Wisconsin Dells, between there and Elroy. There is another stretch on the East loop west of Necedah to Hatfield (sandy sections mixed in there as well).

The ride began at the Fins restraurant/bar in Newville and then took the East loop to Neillsville in day 1. On day 2, I started at Neillsville and ended back at Fins restrauant again via the West loop.

In addition I wanted to link southern WI to the Jackson Co and Clark Co ATV and single track trail systems for an added bonus for those who want to jump on those as well.

For those who what to ride it in smaller sections, there are ways to shorten it since it includes easy options to make smaller loops out of the bigger one.

This was pulled together by using numerous WI DOT bike route maps and Garmin TOPO and City Navigator maps. Most of the roads are back country roads that are not heavily traveled. There are no freeway sections and the roads navigate through areas of WI that will show off some of the best views that part of WI has to offer.

It was done on a Husky TE610. My moving average for both days ended up around the 35 - 40 mph and it took me about 10 - 12 hours to complete 1/2 of the loop. I was not in a big hurry, but kept it moving most of the day. Also, there are plenty of gas stops to accommodate smaller tanks normally used on DS bikes.

Some of the insteresting spots the route/tracks pass by include (not in order):

Fins bar and grill restrauant - Good food and on the Rock River.
    Sauk City - Eagle watching/WI river
    Merrimac Ferry - Ride it across the river
    Devils Lake State Park
    North Freedom historical train museum and train rides
    Lake Delton - emptied out into Wisconsin River
    Omish country
    Necenah National Wildlife Preserve
    Cranberry bogs
    Optional ATV and single track trails
    House on the Rock
    Tower Hill State Park
    Frank Lloyd Wright Hillside Home
    Natural Bridge State Park
    Wildcat Moutain State Park
    Buckhorn State Park
    Wisconsin Dells
    Badger Army Ammunition Plant
    Blue Mound State Park
    New Glarus

Unfortunaty, my camera died so I don't have pics to really give it a good flavor of what the ride was like, but I will post the few that I have when I get a chance (and learn how to post them).

Enjoy!
    WIthumper
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looks like some nice roads!
  3. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot - Thanks for taking the numerous tracks and creating a route out of it!
  4. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Route narrative updated to include some road conditions.
  5. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Updates to new GPX file:

1. Updated the track names so that tracks will not overlay previous track names due to GPS track name truncating. :doh

2. Since there are GPS devices that cannot route if it has more than 50 points, I split the route into multiple routes.

Note: If you are going to ride the section between Black River Falls and Millston using a route, review the section first before riding it. There is a short section from the end of one route and the beginning of the next route which are not completely tied together, but can be easily figured out. :deal

Enjoy!
  6. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great route! Can't wait to give it a spin, thanks for posting!
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    +1 thanks. I need to exercise that area of Wisconsin next season!
  8. The Other Allan

The Other Allan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First Post!

Nice Tracks!
    I'm here in Milwaukee and I explored western Wisconsin for the first time last year. It's pretty fun once you get around Richfield.

Once the weather gets warm again, I head out.
  9. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    The Other Alan - Welcome!

Just to put the length of the ride into perspective... I headed out from Milton to Sauk City along the eastern loop and had some lunch. From there, located some interesting roads that hooked me onto the western loop and road back to Milton. No hurry, and stopped from time to time to take in the views. Round trip took from 9:00 AM to about 4:00 PM.

Be prepared for a lot of sporty turns! :wink:
  10. Gary B.

Gary B. Older than dirt...

Oddometer:
    OK, ya got me sold. I finally got around to looking this up. I may not ride the whole thing, but even parts of it look fun!
  11. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    There is an issue downloading the .gpx file. If you want it, just send me a PM and send it off to you.
  12. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    :clap
  13. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thank you for putting this together.
  14. onefastrph

onefastrph Shut up and ride.

Oddometer:
    Hi, can I get the .gpx file for the Milton/Neillsville route? It wouldn't download. You can email it to cbarron@wi.rr.com if you like. I just got a 60CSx GPS so I'm itching to put some routes on it.

I'm originally from Milton (went to highschool with Zigman). You don't live out by Mike Ellis do you?

15. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    onefastrph - gpx file sent. Yep... I know Mike. We are almost neighbors. :lol3

Small world. :norton
  16. dsm_rally

dsm_rally The Lorax

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...Seems like the download link no worky.
  17. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    The site is still experiencing download file issues. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll fire it off to you.
  18. Coffeedude56

Coffeedude56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got a Zumo and looking for tracks and whaddaya know. Here's one close by. Please email it to me too.
  19. avarliew

avarliew n00b

Oddometer:
    Would you pls email me the file? sliew@yahoo.com

Thanks!
  20. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Email sent. Enjoy!