Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    with my 40000km almost upon me i got wondering if there are many up that high and how are your valve clearances :ear
  2. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    opps fixed

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-mmlTM8PIxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Awesome, for a couple of guys that talk funny, you sure seemed to have a good trip. Nice video work...and somersault at the end :D:D
  4. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Wow. What a mix of terrain!
    I may need to do a work transfer to Australia. I wonder if I can bring my WR. I can't even imagine being able to ride more than 5 months of the year.
  5. Fitty

Fitty Shopping cart rider

Oddometer:
    VERY nice video! Thanks!
  6. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    I'm at 35K km, so I will be checking soon - as soon as peak riding season is over in my area. The valves were close to middle of spec. when I last checked them at 15K km. Checking them is quite easy, as opposed to actually adjusting. One hour for the check should be more than enough time. On my first check, I re-used the gasket. On my next, I will replace it due to distance and time.
  7. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    Yes its a great place to ride ....stay away from the citys and its a great place to live ...

A rundown on how the wr250r went on a 8,000 km ride or 5,000 miles if you prefer

The bike ran flawlessly ,,oil change at just over half way to the end
    new chain and sprockets b4 we left ,,13/47
    bike carried the weight well....performed well in the sand
    draw back was pwr on the long sections ,,and head wind
    bike cruised at 60mph all day long
    bike averaged 22 kms per ltr over the trip
    tires used were Dunlop 606 rear
    Dunlop mx-71f front

rear could have made the whole 8,000 trip but changed out at 5,000 because we planned it that way and I didn't want a flat
    front tire made the full ride and is 90% gone

all in all it was a great ride with a good bike that I wouldn't hesitate on riding further for longer

:clap
  8. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Your English is great and thanks for the info! I'm ordering a Felco as a backup to take on long trips now.
  9. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I got about a third of that mileage so can't answer the Valve check, but curious on what maintenance you have done along the way and what has broken in that time (Besides the normal stuff). I.e. Have you done forks, regreased swingarm/wheel bearings etc. I hope to have this bike for that many miles and want to get the most out of it...within reason.
  10. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    I have both the x and the r wheel sets, and would like to make swapping between both as painless as possible. That being said, I find running 13/47 on the r wheels about right for off road, and figure I would be happy with 14/46 on road w/ the x wheels. This saves having to adjust the chain tensioners too much, I would think. (I'm speculating at this point).
    I don't want to deal with the peening of the collar on the retaining nut, so was wondering if anybody had replaced the retaining washer with a narrower one and stacked two of the nuts (without peening collars) on top of one another, using one as a locknut (along with ample amounts of Loctite blue.) Is this crazy talk? I just don't feel like unbending the tabs on the retaining nut, and replacing it multiple times per season as I plan on changing wheels fairly often.
  11. west bound

west bound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Went out and played in the dirt today. Love this bike

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
  12. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ Wow...good play ground. :clap
  13. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I have used the same cs nut and peened the collar for at least 5 sprocket changes. I have a new nut in reserve. So far so good.
  14. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :clap
  15. RACINGTHESUN

RACINGTHESUN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where were these taken at? Gotta ride that, will most likely kill myself doing it, but I gotta ride that!
  16. RACINGTHESUN

RACINGTHESUN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was skeptical at first when I read on Yamaha's website that the WR gets 78 mpg. Well, the first tank I ran I got 71.4 and this one 77.1 mpg. I am still breaking it in, and doing riding at very high altitudes. Just taking it easy not ringing its neck. I always thought at :claphigher altitudes the gas mileage gets worse. That sure is the case on my truck. Anyway, I am very happy with the gas mileage.
  17. ryguy83

ryguy83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good job dad!very cool going out with your son like that.:clap.
    My dad is the best father I could ask for also,I just gotta get him off the big Harley and on some/any kind of dual sport and go out with me!:ddog maybe someday.for now I'm having a ball on my WR.

-ry
  18. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my WR250X new and haven't had anything near that, though my WR250R that I used to own would get better mileage. I think city riding reduces it significantly, if you sit on 80km/h with no traffic lights and no headwind then you get those results.
  19. west bound

west bound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Western slope of Colorado, just outside grand junction.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
  20. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    Superb Photos! I suppose one could do riding there as well as hit Moab with a weeks vacation? Any particular trail?