Sticking forks on a TLR

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Irish John, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Irish John

Irish John Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lawrence, KS but I'd rather be in Ireland
    Well lots of good info and opinions shared in TLR jetting thread. However, I have now run into a new problem unrelated to the jetting issue.

Last night, I pulled the forks to install new seals and wipers. Left fork, came apart easily. Right fork took a fair bit of persuasion to get the tube our of the lower. The tube will only slide smoothly into the lower about 3" then it starts to stick and wedge itself in place. First thought the tube is bent, checked it with a straight edge and on a glass top table, it's good to go. I can not see anything inside the lower, no obvious our of round or dimple. Check it with the other tube same thing. So I'm thinking it is out of round or there is a slight dimple on the inside. The exterior does have a fairly good gouge where it looks like it hit a rock.

So I suppose I will need to find a new lower fork leg or a maybe a cylinder hone with a long shaft to reach down inside and see if I can round it out. Anyone experience something like this?
  2. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not take the fork leg to a good engineering shop, ask them to check the internal bore, and if its damaged see if they can rectify the problem?
  3. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
    I built a new one from oil in impregnated brass for fellow inmate ADVCoop send me dimension s and I can make you one if you are unable to find one
    Larrydawg
  4. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Larry does great work! That bushing was a perfect fit and got me riding again.
  5. Irish John

Oddometer:
    I don't think it needs a bushing, it seems like the fork tube encounters some type of interference down inside the tube which wedges the tube and does not allow it to slide down further.
  6. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Well I borrowed a dail gauge and there is dimple inside the lower fork tube caused by a ding on the exterior. No all I have to do is figure out how to reduce it.
  7. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
  8. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Thanks Larry!
  9. Irish John

Oddometer: