Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. FJR4me

FJR4me n00b

Oddometer:
    I finished the install last night of the BT Transmitter and it works perfectly with the Zumo 550. I'm able to receive navigation, XM and play MP3's off the Zumo into the Sena SMH10R.
    The IPhone goes through the Zumo and is paired with the Sena headset and works as expected.

Thanks again for all the help.
  2. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Be sure to check whether the BT transmitter can still be used whilst recharging it. I went thru a couple of (cheap) BT devices before I found one that could.
  3. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    As I have neither the time nor the patience to scroll through all 3,387 posts, let me throw up a question or two here, if I may ...
    I'm definitely considering getting the SMH10 Dual Pack for my wife and me aboard my FJR. Actually being able to converse as opposed to helmet slaps and thigh bruises sounds promising since we'll be taking a trip or two this summer.
    We both have iPhone5's. I also have a Garmin 2495.
    So I have a couple of questions:
    1) Can we each listen to our individual iPhone's music/podcasts or will I be subjected to her horrible taste in homogenized country music?
    2) I seem to be picking up that unless one has the motorcycle-specific Zumo Garmin GPS system, for some mysterious reason unbeknownst to me, you can't hear directions from the GPS? Does this mean I won't be able to listen to Bluetooth directions from my 2495?
    I'm certain I'll think of more questions but this should suffice for now. :D
  4. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:

1) You can each listen to your own music

2) Your 2495 does NOT support transmitting its "voice" over bluetooth. Rather, it is set up to BE a bluetooth headset (acting as a speakerphone for your iphone).

If your Nuvi has a headphone jack, you could buy an inexpensive bluetooth transmitter to plug into it..
  5. Rider

Oddometer:
    A-HA.
    Thanks for the scoop. :thumb
  6. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need to throw up .... ;-)

1) yes, but see #2.

2) no mystery: Garmin only makes a few GPS units that talk to Bluetooth helmet setups; I don't think the 2495 is one of them. If the 2495 has an audio-out jack, you could plug in a cheap BT dongle that will pair with your Sena, BUT, that dongle will "use up" the slot which your iPhone needs to send music, so it would have to be one or the other.

Be aware that if you buy a zumo, it should work, but not all iPhones are compatible with all zumos. I had some luck with an iPhone 4 and a zumo 660, but it was not reliable enough and I went to a different setup with my Sena gear. My iPhone 5s is also not playing nice with the 660.

-dan
  7. Rider

Oddometer:
    Dan,
    Thanks for the info.
    I won't be investing in a Zumo anytime soon.
    Sounds like I won't be able to hear my Nuvi talking to me. I was hoping the Sena would rectify the problem easily but apparently not. :scratch
    Anyway, at least the intercom and music features should still make the unit worthwhile for us. I'll just have to squint harder at the GPS. :lol3
  8. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    What's the problem, maybe we can help? My iPhone 5s works well with the pairing to the Zumo 660.
  9. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Sena gear is top shelf. Any irritating aspects of Bluetooth are pretty much Garmin's fault in this case, sorry to say.

-dan
  10. Rider

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm figuring out, Dan.
    Hey, thanks for the quick answers. I should be ordering the Sena soon. Thanks for the input. :thumb
    Cheers,
    The Other Dan
  11. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me more about your setup? I tried changing mine when I updated to firmware 5.0.1 today and my 5s pairs just fine with the zumo 660, but as soon as you try to make a call it opens the connection (you can hear hissing in the speakers) and it stays open and does nothing. At that point, the phone shows the zumo as "Disconnected" under BT settings.

Thanks,

-dan
  12. GAVic

GAVic Largely unnoticed

Oddometer:
    You can buy a Garmin app for the IPhone. It's interface is just basically the same as the Nuvi. There are some issues with using the phone. Hard to see in bright sunlight, I bought a carrier and put a hood on it. Not glove friendly, cut the finger tip of my glove off. Also they can get hot if out in the sun. I added a metal heat sink to my carrier.
  13. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    :baldy

NOT a SENA problem.

Your GPS (Nuvi) was meant for use in a car. As such, one feature of it is that it presents itself to a BT phone as a 'headset', and, as previously mentioned, works as a hands-free speakerphone in the car. In a car, you would also just hear the GPS prompts coming out of the built-in speaker, though some may provide an AUX out to plug into the car stereo (and in cases where this exists, the GPS may also have a MP3 player 'feature'), but this setup doesn't work well on a bike.

A Zumo, on the other hand, was meant for use on a motorcycle. Garmin assumes that you will be using some type of a headset with these devices, and the BT setup on these is configured not to act as a headset, but to act as a BT transmitter to a headset (the headset will see the Zumo as a phone and/or hi-fi audio device). The Zumo is also configured to act as a control unit for your phone (both calls and music). Now, there are some quirks with Garmin's BT implementation, but this is the general gist of what the Zumo should be doing.

2 different devices. 2 different purposes. Neither of which has anything to do with a 'problem' with the SENA (or any other brand) headsets.
  14. Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm not blaming Sena. It is what it is.
    Not the end of the world. My Nuvi's screen can be hard to see in bright sun and I was just hoping to be able to hear an occasional voice prompt. But, as I said, not a dealbreaker for the Sena.
  15. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Let's see: Sena SMH10 setup. Have the 660 synced to it. Phone syncs to 660. MP3s played from the 660. Wife has other headset behind me when riding.

I'll have to see which version of firmware I have, but it's at least the 5 upgrade. Maybe the newest I do not have yet, and there's the problem. Just know that this past weekend I was on my phone a lot while riding (wife kept calling me while out shopping).

Hopefully somebody else can quickly report whether they have issues with their 5.0.1 firmware and their 5s and 660 setup.
  16. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I did it using Sena SR-10.
    By using the SR10 you don't need to use your single A2DP profile that the SR10 allows as its sends the GPS audio over a different bluetooth profile.

GPS -> wired -> SR10 -> bluetooth -> SMH10 head set

Phone -> bluetooth -> SR10

plus the SR-10 gives me the ability to use 2 way radios.

I replaced Autocom with the SMH 10 and never looked back. Love it.
    I have also used the SMH10 bike to bike with my Brother. As long as I could see him it worked.
  17. x3n05

x3n05 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all I just received a pair of SMH10 headsets and a SM10 bluetooth adapter.

Headsets are paired.
    Headsets are paired with SM10
    VOX enabled for intercom

The only way I seem to be able to switch between music and intercom is to tap the jog dial.

Is it possible to use VOX to stop music playing through the headsets (via the SM10) and then resume music after conversation has ended?

The only way I seem to be able to switch between music and intercom is to tap the jog dial
  18. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can control the music player via the SM10 to pause it.

Are you saying VOX doesn't work (you can't initiate a conversation via VOX)? What if the SM10 is off, does VOX work then?
  19. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I don't have the SM10, I have the SR10. when I played with VOX I found you need to yell at the mic, or blow on it to trigger vox to come on. Now the intercom should have priority over the bluetooth connecton the SM10 is using.

After using it for a while, we tried every combination and settled on just press the jog dial when you want to open a connection, than press it again when you want to return to music. Most times the wife and I are chatting on the intercom anyway, but on longer rides the music gets turned on.

Thinking about it, its been a long winter, but I think I still hear the SR10 audio (GPS talking) under the intercom (if she is not talking).
  20. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but what's the advantage of a dedicated gps (and the associated headache) as opposed to just using the turn by turn map functions on the iPhone?

My iPhone gives me phone, gps, music, pandora, and Siri will read and respond to texts if I'm able...

Why complicate it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk