Lincoln Nebraska to Blackhills and back June 19 2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Trail bandit, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Just brought a Suzuki Bandit 98 model off a nice Paraguan guy in Lincoln.

Planning a trip up to SD to see Mount Rushmore, the Blackhills and visit Sturgis. Research so far says to head out in I80 then turn right at Grand Island and head up through the Sandhills.

Gear.... 1 man tent and light weight camping gear.

Modifications to bike... Just a waterproof charger to mount under seat. I was looking at waterproof USB from Burns but now leaning toward a marine lighter socket and fuse in line.

Navigation..... Thinking the iPad can sit inside tank bag under transparent cover. Only concern is sun could power it down if it overheats. Maybe it won't. I suspect airflow on bike is different to iPad or iPhone sitting inside car on a hot day in sun and overheating.

Questions. :scratch

Anyone experience iPad or similar and how it worked sitting in top of bag in sun?

Is 3 days enough for this trip?

Camp grounds on the way?

Would you take a gallon of gas stowed in luggage? I don't have a rack of any sort or it would be strapped on. I think the 1200 engine could be a little thirsty.

Anyone else got a similar trip in mind with similar timing and can understand Australian English without an interpreter?

Should my wifie be worried?

Mike
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    3 days seems pretty short. You will spend 1 day getting to the BH, and another getting home. That leaves all your hills riding and sightseeing for the middle day; you will likely have to compromise one or the other in the interests of time.

Don't worry about gas. It's everywhere, even on Hwy 2 in the Sandhills. Just fill up when you have the chance.

iPad under plastic will work okay but can be hard to read in direct sunlight.

Many of the towns have campgrounds or similar facilities; even city parks can be used in many circumstances. Once you get into the BH the campgrounds become well-populated this time of year.

Don't worry about the language barrier. Just say what they expect to hear, like, "g'day mite" and "throw another shrimp on the barbie" and you'll be okay. Get used to the folks out that way talking a little more slowly; it's not due to relative intelligence, but rather the local dialect.

Lastly; have fun! :clap
  3. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. I'll add another day or two. Might even have to get a shorter trip done first just to warm up.

Notice you have a triumph 800. I rode Iceland last year with a group of about 10. Most of us on these. Bit heavy in the dirt but loved the seat comfort, perfect dial on power and fairing while minimal worked great. I have a triumph tiger 1050 in Australia and suspect it vibrates more up through the pegs. Probably need to test side by side to confirm. Tiger 800 is probably on the wish list!
  4. autolycos

autolycos True vulgarian

Oddometer:
    I've got a few spare NE maps and a gazetteer we can look at to get you some good roads and keep you off the super slab, and even not on NE 2 as much as a direct route, if that's what you wish. I grew up in the southeast end of the sandhills on NE 2, so I have a few secret-ish roads that are great to recommend, if you wish. Yossarian is right, though. Lots of fuel to be had. Depending on your route, there are plenty of campgrounds and good places to eat.

Figure a strong riding day each way. That won't leave a lot of riding in the Blackhills, but you can see a lot of great things on the way there. It just depends on what your priorities are.

Wife should not be worried. Your biggest worry will probably be the mosquitoes.
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Since you are headed through the Sandhills, I'm sure I won't be the only person here to suggest you try Brownlee Road.

To get to it, take U.S. 83 north from Thedford for about 21 miles, then turn west (left) onto a single-lane blacktop that goes through Brownlee. The single lane road will last about 25 miles through some great scenery until it put you onto NE 97. Go north on NE 97 until Merritt Reservoir, then take 16F west and north to Nenzel to hook up with U.S. 20.

Beautiful route, little traffic.
  6. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Will do. I've got the iPad 4g so will put pics up as the trip progresses including Brownlee Road.
  7. crashman44b

crashman44b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck Bandit. Ride safe. Take lots of pictures
  8. autolycos

autolycos True vulgarian

Oddometer:
    I met with Bandit1958 yesterday morning and hooked him up with a paper map in case the heat is too much for the iPad. Route highlighted includes Brownlee road and Arnold-Dunning road where they run the Sandhills Road Rally. Shouldn't be too bad regarding location of gas, but the stretch between Thedford and Chadron could use someone telling us where gas is available.
  9. crashman44b

crashman44b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pics or report?