1972 Yamaha 350 2-stroke twin

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by n2omike, Jan 8, 2011.

1. n2omike

n2omike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found this while surfing Craigslist. It's a 1972 350 twin that looks REALLY nice for $1200. It is not mine, and I have zero first hand knowledge of it. Located in Ohio.

Ad says...
    Great all original bike, 5800 original miles. not running needs carbs cleaned and some new hoses. Has great compression, needs minor attention to get running. Paint is excellent, and seat is perfect. All original, even tires. Been in storage and has been stored correctly.<!-- START CLTAGS -->

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2149481359.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will almost for sure need crank seals. sellers always say they just need carb cleaning/tuning but regardless of how many times you clean and sync them you will never get it to run well until it has fresh crank seals. they dry out over time and will eventually hole the pistons if you don't replace them. the bike in question is an r5, they are basically a rd350 without reed valves. ignition timing is crucial with these bikes and you will need a dial indicater to time it correctly. Looks like a clean unmolested example. great bikes
  3. jaredyates

jaredyates Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's also a drum front brake, another slight difference when compared to my RD. I've been quite pleased with the availability of parts and places like http://www.hvccycle.com/. When a bike is popular there is a much better market for reproduction rubber parts and the like.
  4. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a '72 R5 and a '75 RD350. RD's came out in '73, R5 had drum brake in front, no reed valves and a 5 speed transmission. The RD had a 6 speed, reed valves, front disc and there's probably a ton of other differences since it was a major makeover. I recall the R5 being less peaky than the RD, which is a relative comparison, and the RD at least felt much faster, better handling, etc. The R5 is still a pretty nice bike and if its rust free you are doing well.