Garmin 478 users/owners thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by spidennis, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I recently saw one in the flea market with all cables, City Navigator North American DVD (2009), and standard mounts that come in the box for $550.

Seems like they are holding their value pretty well. Though I keep tossing the idea around of selling mine and getting a Montana. (but every time I read through the Montana thread I decide to hold off..)
  2. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I have a spare sitting around too. That Montana scares me as I am kind of a techno-phobe.
  3. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I'm not a technophobe by any means, I have no problem digging into something complex and figuring it out (which is why I like the 478 to begin with).

It's "buggy as shit" that scares me.
  4. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    True dat!
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If your Montana's are so buggy you should contact Garmin Product Support. The vast majority of Montana owners don't seem to be having the problems you guys are having.

Cheers,
  6. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I realize you've got a lot of time and energy invested in the product.

We're just on the outside looking in and it's what we see. :dunno
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've got about 18yrs invested in trying to get the best GPS tools for our DS and Adventure Touring needs. I tried working with other GPS manufactures but didn't get very far with them. Mainly because they didn't see a large enough market to invest.

I lobbied long and hard for Garmin to give us a good replacement for the chartplotters and they finally did - in the Montana Series. But, as with all technology, 10yrs will require the user to "adjust" a bit.

The chartplotters are great units but they can no longer be repaired and personally I cannot see the map well enough in daylight.

More to you guys comments, what you see here at Advrider.com are a small percentage of the total Montana sales. And, within that small percentage an even smaller percentage of chronic software/hardware issues. What I'm seeing are a number of user data issues that we are still trying to identify.

Anyway, sorry for the bandwidth in the 478 thread.

Cheers,
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    The chartplotters are great units but they can no longer be repaired
    Cheers,[/QUOTE]

Who told you that. Garmin told me they still repair and refurb them.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Garmin Prod Support told me last month that they were out of parts. That's all I have to go on.

Cheers,
  10. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, well not that long only about 2600 miles. I have never tried plotting that long of a track or course or what have you. What is the best way to go about that? Mapsource? Basecamp? I haven't used my 478 for such a long journey so would appreciate some direction. Thanks!
  11. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp or MapSource will work fine. I'd recommend breaking the trip up into a route or track for each day rather than one long one. Much more manageable. You can easily plan for options and just name the route accordingly. You run the risk of having too many shaping or via points and getting a truncated route with a long route.
  12. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's how I do it.

In Basecamp, sometimes I put in a proximity value for my starting waypoint, something like 250 miles. In BC, a red circle with a radius of 250 miles will appear around the waypoint. The 250 miles might be my ride limit for the day. I then search for some type of lodging just inside or outside the radius along the route or track I'm following.

daryl
  13. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

What a good idea! Thanks.
  14. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!!!
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    When you put in very large Proximity Alarms, just remember to remove them before you transfer the Waypoint to your GPS. Otherwise you will get a nearing/approaching anytime you turn on the GPS while you are within the Proximity radius and a leaving alarm as you pass thru the radius - which may not have any on-screen [map] meaning since you won't be seeing the waypoint most likely.

Cheers,
  16. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm well aware of that.

daryl
  17. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    Recently purchased a 478, upgraded the firmware to 4.40 which says it supports the GXM-40 antenna, but I've read in certain forums that it also removed support for the GXM-30. Anybody successfully running 4.40 with a GXM-30? I need to know which antenna I should be looking for in order to enable weather. Thanks!
  18. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    Good Question! keep us updated ...... I'm still using a 30 but hadn't upgraded since I got the 478.
  19. Dagwood08

Dagwood08 n00b

Oddometer:
    I too recently purchased a 478 and upgraded the firmware to 4.40. I have a GXM-30 and can receive the preview channel but have not yet subscribed to anything. Not sure if this helps much with the recent question.
  20. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    It does help, yes. But I went ahead and got the GXM-40 anyway, since it was pretty much the same price. Good to know that I have options, though!