NC700X: Some Questions and Advice?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by High Hope, Nov 18, 2012.

1. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold my '02 1150 GS Adv several years ago following a skiing accident that destroyed my left leg. Man, I'm missing it!

The Honda NC700x with auto dual clutch looks like an appealing way to get back into riding, and I've been doing some surfing to learn more. Low CG, auto, and Honda reliability/value are all pluses. Limited dirt road capability are minuses, esp in slippery New England, though I likely won't be doing any single-track or tough stuff.

Q: The gripe about 17" f/r tires. It looks like you can get TKCs in stock size 120/70-17 for the front. In back the closest options to replace the 160/60-17 are either a 150/70-17 (too narrow?) or 180/55-17 (too wide, will it fit?) Does anyone have ideas about these fitments, or other good on/off tire suggestions?

Q: I'm 6'-1", 225. Will the bike cramp my style? In a perfect world I'd probably look at lower pegs and better shocks (my BMW had Ohlins and I loved them.) Any experience with these types of mods?
  2. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Old Git.

Oddometer:
  3. High Hope

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr Grumpy. Cyberspace is a wonderful thing, who would've figured a Uly web site in the UK featuring an NC700 write-up? Anyway, Lars' conditions in Olde England look like fall in New England, but I'd still be nervous with street tires on slippery muck like that...
  4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Old Git.

Oddometer:
    Actually Badweb is a US based site with members worldwide like this place, many of the Uly guys on here go to Badweb too,

You meet the nicest people on a Buell.:D
  5. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 150/70 TKC will fit, but Pirelli MT60R's ought to be enough for simple muck. Mine has lowered pegs and an Ohlins shock. In my opinion, the front suspension needs help even more than the rear. I went with Race Tech cartrigde emulators and new springs. It is limited on ground clearance and the exhaust header is vunerable until someone builds a bash plate for it. The low CG makes it feel much lighter than it is.
  6. High Hope

Oddometer:
    Beemerphile, thanks. Can you post pics? Where did you find lower pegs (I like to stretch out, cramp easily)? What did the suspension work cost you?

And lastly, do you want to sell your bike? :lol3
  7. High Hope

Oddometer:
    I always thought the Buell was a cool cool bike. Sorta thought of buying one in the olden days, but the GSA took precedence, and after that the Buell HD drama scared me off. Thanks for your input mon ami. :lol3
  8. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    You can find reports of all my NC700 efforts (and those of many others) at nc700-forum dot com. It wold be too much work to try to maintain the information in two places and forum owners don't seem to have much of a sense of humor about cross-posting. The lowered pegs were from Thurn Motorsports eBay store. They are from Germany and quite well made. The Race Tech front with them doing the installation was $483 and the Ohlins rear was $617. You can find all of this and more (including many pictures) by searching "extreme farkling" at the site listed above.
  9. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sat on this one the other day, other than needing a wider seat I think I could ride it without much ergo modification at all. Haven't actually ridden one yet though.

[​IMG]

I'm a fairly big guy as well....:D

Disappointed about having to get the auto tranny to get ABS, maybe they'll offer it next year on the manual.
  10. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    I'm pleased that at least the first year they offered the manual without the ABS because that is the combo that I wanted. I installed an ABS front caliper on mine to get better front braking by plumbing all three pistons to the front master cylinder. This combo has a stronger front brake than even the ABS model which powers the center front brake pistons through the rear pedal, a proportioning valve, and a delay valve.

People who have the ABS though are generally quite pleased with it. I only dislike it because I do not like linked brakes (not that I want to start that discussion here.) If it had been independent ABS, I would have been interested, and thus disappointed by its unavailability.
  11. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the way I felt in '05 when I bought my GS, the idea of ABS has grown on me considerably since then though. :D

I wonder how good of a seat can be made for the 700? It's the one thing that I would definitely have to change.
  12. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Know nothing about the Honda but do know you're missed around the campfire, Chris.

Glad to see you're exploring options.:clap

Whatever it takes to get you back on a bike and to the campouts.:deal

:lurk
  13. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Going to be in the 50's next weekend. We should do it again. He can show off that new hardware...a week is plenty of time to get fitted.
  14. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    I have a Russell seat being built for mine now. It is supposed to finish up next week. BMS (Rocky Meyer) has done a couple as well that have been well regarded.

The seat is truly miserable. How ever bad you think it is, it is much worse than that. I rode mine from Georgia to New York and back over back roads and I was standing up through every town I went through.
  15. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

:clap
  16. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please post up a pic, and write up of the Russell once it's broke in if you don't mind. I'm thinking bout the 700 for our RV trips, need something a little easier for me to get in and out of the back of the pickup without sacrificing too much of the fun factor..:D

[​IMG]
  17. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    High Hope!

Can you get that Honda by Black Friday? I mean maybe we can have a repeat "White Friday (and Saturday)" like we did 5 years ago. You were there!

I must say, after just going back and looking for this post, that was a good thread from about this point on. Check it out everyone, it gets interesting.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5687726#post5687726

Glad you're getting back on two wheels! As mentioned, you've been missed.

Hugs,

Liz

PS: Speaking of among the missing, anyone know what's up with Cordless, or hear from him?

18. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it will be quite a while before I can do this. I should have the seat by the end of next week, however, I am going to have to have surgery to repair a torn biceps tendon (distal) and the doc expects that I would not even be driving a car until mid-January. But I will definitely do so when I can get some time on it. It gripes me that it will finally be here and I won't be able to give it a test.

As far as the NC, since I have got it properly outfitted, this thing is growing on me every day. I wanted to build a lightweight long-distance machine since my 2012 trip to Alaska, the Yukon, and NWT on my R1150. I fought the weight of that bike the entire trip. But I believe that this bike is going to replace the BMW as my LD ride. I will re-purpose the R1150 for a BMW rally bike, If you can get over hauling ass, and upgrade a few of the budget items (suspension, seat, horn, lights) then this thing is a hoot. I get a kick out of what we consider a "slow" motorcycle though. It will do mid-13 second quarter miles. I remember when that would have been a hot car in high school.

It is also an advantage that it is made to run on regular gas which is often the only thing available and a 1 gallon RotoPax jug can get you an additional 70 miles down the road instead of 38 with one of the liter bikes.
  19. High Hope

Oddometer:
    Wow, this is so good to hear from the group from up north. Man, we've had some fun, and I can't believe the White Terror occurred five years ago...my son was 11, now he's driving :cry. I'm not sure if I've ever been colder than that run over to Ms Liz's house at 8:00 am :lol3.

So, I've not even sat on an NC700X, but it is looking sweeter and sweeter. 2tallnwide, Bimmerphile, thanks for help too. Now you've gone and done it, right over the top. :lol3

The options list is appealing, hard bags, rack, 12v outlet, center stand, heated grips...so there's another $1k, on top of decent multi tires and maybe some suspension work.

But, this is less expensive than the Lamborghini I had my eye on, so it might just be the way to go. :lol3
  20. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chris, Looking forward to seeing your smiling face at a campfire.
    Huck