Gaerne Balance Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DirtyOldMan, May 6, 2010.

1. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting a pair of these for a while and am about to pull the trigger.
    Gaerne MX boots have served me very well so I figure to stay with the brand. Plus they're brown. No fashion hound here but I've sworn off buying black M/C gear as much as possible.

So my question: Are the oiled boots worth the extra 90 or so clams they would cost ?
    Would the regular ones be just fine? I've had a pretty good run here lately and I got the dough, it's just that due to my frugal nature I hate to just piss money away unnecessarily.
  2. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel....no. I am particular in that I think waterproof boots are a liability on more days than an asset....breathability, cost, etc. But I also do not ride in the rain, really.

And my Balances are black.

BP
  3. xrmattaz

xrmattaz Has an TV

Oddometer:
    90% of the trials riders in the world wear 'em.

I would too, if they made 'em big enough.
  4. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing the oiled Gaerne's for years for both trials and dual sport/adventure riding. Love them. I'll wear my SG-10's for more 'racing' conditions. The waterproofing really does work, and I really don't think you are going to notice them being any hotter than any other boot. Plus it's very nice to not get soakers every time you walk or splash through a stream. Considering how long the boots will last you, $90 spread over that time is nothing.

If it's a factor for you, they are also comfy enough to walk around in all day and never get blisters or feel like you're in ski boots. For bopping around town , pull you jeans over the tops and no one will even notice that you have boots on.
  5. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:

That's pretty much what I've been thinking. If they last like these SG10's they could be the last pair I ever buy. My buddy gets all choked up about my $300 boots but I bet I've spent 1/4 of what he has running through the cheap ones every year or so.
  6. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    For those of you with these boots have you found they are true to size? I'm a 9 1/2 Nike guy and see they come in whole sizes so goingiwth 10, ???

Thanks for you help

Cheers!
  7. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They run large.....I normally wear a 12 shoe and I am an 11 in these. If your alternate size to a 9.5 is a 10, you should be OK. If it is a 9, then go with the 9.

BP
  8. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Strangely, I had the opposite experience re: fitting. However I do need very large "toe boxes" usually. I typically wear a wide 11.5-12, the 11's were definitely too small in the SG10's. 12's fit me perfectly.

dc
  9. ManitouMike

ManitouMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My balanced oiled boots are the best I have ever had in 40 yrs of riding. IMHO they are worth the money and then some. Super comfortable, can be resoled, waterproof, super comfortable. Pull the trigger, you'll be glad you did. Folks that have them swear by them, folks that don't usually dis them--just saying.
  10. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    I found their Euro sizing exact on other euro-sized boots and shoes that I wore.

Been wearing them for three years: trail riding, street riding, etc.

They have given great protection through some spectacular trail riding biffs.

The comfort level is incredible, especially appreciated when helping others bump-start their bikes on the trail rides.

The Gortex has held up wonderfully, too, and I wouldn't ride without it.

-Janet