Riding boots that can pass as dress shoes

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Holden, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any reccomendations on a decent pair of riding boots that can be used with a business suit. Or should I say not look like I am wearing riding boots under a suit. ??
  2. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I've gotten away with wearing my Aerostitch Combat Lites to court a couple of times. As long as I'm standing (and I've cleaned them up the night before) they look ok. A few years ago I had some Hein-Gerike (sp?) boots that were really good for wearing with a suit but I didn't feel they offered much protection.

Usually I just carry a pair of loafers and stuff my boots in one of my Jesse bags.
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    guess it all depends on what your idea of looking good in a suit is :D

[​IMG]

As for real and protective riding boots, I can't think of any that won't look like well riding boots.
  4. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:
  5. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
  6. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    Three Sidi boots I'd consider because they are plain black, have no toe plates or other external protective parts, and have minimal graphics. They all have shifter pads on the instep.

Way Rain - I had these, small logo on the side of sole at heel, 100% waterproof, very comfortable, mildly trekkie-looking sole, zippers on the inner ankles
    Traffic - similar sole, not as tall as Ways, no zipper cover, lorica sides instead of fabric
    Sport Rain - also mid-height, zippers on outer ankles, lug sole is more normal-looking

I also have a pair of BMW Santiagos (same as TCX Infinity, I think), and they look like normal boots with lug soles. Depending on your setting, they might be a little beefy-looking for business wear, but they don't scream "motorcycle boots!"

I'm considering getting another pair of Ways for reasons of plain looks, or maybe one of the Air series. The B2s I have now are a little more flashy than I'd like on the road sometimes, but they see double duty as my track boots.
  7. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work on a military base, so boots are mandatory to ride on/off. They're also hot and uncomforatble to wear all day... What I did to remedy that is to leave a pair of comfortable slip-on shoes at work. I ride in, change my shoes, and change back to boots to ride home.
  8. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    BMW "City Boots":
    [​IMG]
  9. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    Hey now--pretty nice! Hadn't seen those. Best-looking yet.
  10. MotoandCo

MotoandCo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Denver, part of Stylmartin Urban Series.

Fabrice.

Attached Files:

11. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Winner - exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.
  12. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have to get me a pair of these. Although the protection is not up to everyday riding snuff (IMHO), they should be sufficient for the occassional ride to court. Thanks! :thumb
  13. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Theirs a company in Lakewood California called bates leather, I have a pair of their boots could where them anywhere jeans or tux. Super quality
  14. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt the advantage of the "City Boots" over your dress shoes. Do the words "motorcycle boots" magically make unprotective boots more protective?

Just sayin'.
  15. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Belstaff makes a pair sold through British motorcycle gear. I have them and I think they are just about the right compromise between looks and safety. They are passable as dress shoes. The best idea is probable to ride in boots and change at work.
  16. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    They're certainly not up to the level of a good pair of motocross boots, or even regular touring boots. I would not wear them for an extended trip or offroading, for instance. But they do apparently have some measure of ankle protection built in. BMW calls it 'lightweight' protection:

-Lightweight ankle protection
    -Lightweight reinforcements to shaft

I think for someone who needs to present a certain appearance and doesn't crash on anything like a regular basis, these can be an acceptable compromise. Of course everyone has their own comfort level with that sort of thing, and I'd never try to convince you to wear something in which you don't feel safe.
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

Plus, there's also the sole of the boot. All of my dress shoes have slick bottoms, sometimes a rubber heel cap. But no traction. The only time I've ever ridden in dress shoes, I dropped my bike at a light because my foot slippped out from under me. The City Boots at least have traction on the sole.
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    what's everyone think about Bates boots?
    they custom make the boot for you. $250
    supporting American workers counts extra...
  19. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bates. LEATHER boots are great yes made here in USA they also make leather suits racing and touring, a large percentage of police jackets come from them. Quality product the gal that makes the boots one pair at a time has been doing it for a long time. They look better than most dress shoes and padded where necessary
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, the company is Bates Leathers, not just Bates. :deal

Here's a link to their boot webpage: LINK

I had a pair of Bates leathers like 20 years ago and they were great. I might look into these...