What is it with these Urals

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by High Octane, Nov 22, 2014.

1. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one for a couple of months, decided it wasn't for me. But I just can't get the itch to quit. Leave me alone and let me be!
    Starting to plan for hack #2.....
  2. seekeronsaltspring

seekeronsaltspring Crazy David

Oddometer:
    Good question I keep spending more money for more things to add to it, going more in the hole and using the card more and more. Must be something like salt on chips. Just can not stop. :ricky
  3. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Italy we call it the "Simpatico factor (= charming/nice)..."

Vespas, Lambrettas, certain Moto Guzzi models, etc. all have it. VW buses and Urals too.

These are the vehicles that promote a feeling of empathy in bystanders... Break down in a Honda Accord and you are on your own, but coast to the side of the road in a VW Bus and watch what happens.

Urals take the "Simpa Factor" to the limit: there is something about its history, shape, ability to perform in a number of different roles and conditions that proves irresistible to many. I toured in Central America on a Vespa 150 two stroke a few years back and wherever I went people wanted to talk, offer assistance and befriend me. I suspect that a Ural would elicit an even stronger response. Place your furry best friend wearing gogggles in the hack and the Simpa Factor index reaches Defcon 5...

I guess that you meet the nicest people on a Ural! :norton
  4. High Octane

Oddometer:
    I think that's it. Simpatico, I kinda like it.
  5. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Agree wholeheartedly
    Im on my second kick at the can with these beasties... Once the Russian snake bites- the venom runs deep:wink:
  6. Steppy

Steppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always been a bit of a loner. Rode my Sporty around Oz last year and no one came near me...Nirvana. :D Rode my Ural to Tassie this year and people wouldn't leave me alone. :huh Might need to work on my people skills.
  7. Ivan Rider

Ivan Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a sickness. Some of us get it worse the others. In the past 15 yrs. I've owned 15 Urals and some of the more then once.:evil
  8. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope... it's that stupid grin that gets stuck on your face. There's no logic to it but damn it feels good!
  9. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:

All of this.

Urals make absolutely no sense, and simultaneously more sense than anything else on wheels.
  10. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I tested a Ural Gear Up last summer. Every few months, I think about that test ride. I think about how fun it'll be to give my daughter rides in it. I think about how fun it would be to roll through Death Valley with it, as well as many other great trails around here.

But then I think about the "constant" maintenance, and I'm unsure of the overall reliability and if it'll handle the summer heat out here. So that's when I think of getting the Super Tenere.

Damn you, Ural! It's just one of those bikes that keeps coming back up in my "must have" list.
  11. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer:

They all do that.
  12. High Octane

Oddometer:
    You got it bad.
    I have a few things to do on my current rig, if that doesn't settle things I'll have to get serious about buying something next spring. Maybe one of those used carb models that get listed every once in a while.
  13. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    It's been over two years since i sold my Patrol, I still have "Ural" saved on ebay, and Soviet Steeds on my bookmarks, and I've almost bought one a few times. They're just too friggin slow for Texas highways, it's all friggin day to get somewhere to play in the dirt with it. On the other hand, I seldom have had as much fun just putzing around. The Grandkids loved it, the dog loves it, I loved it, and my wife tolerated it about as well as she tolerates any of my toys. Someday, I'll have another, in spite of all the, wait, what?
  14. redtails

redtails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I first bought mine, I had buyers remorse something awful, wondering what in the hell did I do! Now I couldn't imagine not having it, it has earned a permanent spot in my garage.

No real explanation as to why its so fun.
  15. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    On my second Ural and not regretting a bit. As noted by all the others, a Ural purchase makes no sense but it is unavoidable once the "forbidden fruit" has been sampled.
    Also riding a Ural chages ones outlook to traffic. On any other bike it is "mingling" with traffic. On a Ural, it is who cares what traffic does; avoid it or just let it flow around; no reason to "engage". Also noted that any quick trip on a Ural takes twice as long; it takes time to find the grin producing back roads.
    :clap
  16. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure I know what you are talking about, I don't have one.....YET....
    But have been drooling, dreaming, wanting for a very long time...
    I am thinking soon, very soon.....:deal

:freaky
  17. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Heck, if I sold mine the dog would hop in the sidecar and leave me!
    Smart dog.
  18. mysticbus

mysticbus Mysticbus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am on my second. For me it happened fast. I bought a used 96 from Holowpaw, loved it so much that I figured I needed one that could be ridden reliably every day. So I sold it and bought a used 2011. I have since then sold my 2 wheeled bike, and exclusively ride the Ural, every day, rain or shine.
    I just wish I knew about these earlier.
  19. backdaddy

backdaddy FDNY never forget

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I look at the low tech and wonder why I like it so much. I guess it takes me back to when riding was just riding. Like when as a kid I would ride my mini-bike up and down the driveway, just to be riding, didn't need to go anywhere.
  20. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Question for those that have owned one in flat-finish paint,
    How do you like the flat finish, has it been ok to maintain, have you ever wished you had gone glossy instead?
    I see them in the winter motorcycle show here and I really like the flat finish bikes, specially the Ural set ups, but I wonder if the novelty of "flat" wears off?

Is the flat finish boring to detail, no wax? Or do you see it as an advantage?
    Or, if you were repainting your rig, would you opt for flat or satin clear in the final part of two stage paint to go "satin"?

Thanks, I value your opinions.
    Or should I say "pinions" in the case of the Ural? :evil

[​IMG]