New OSSA Explorer 2012

Discussion in 'Trials' started by vander, Oct 7, 2011.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I started riding Trials with the Puget Sound Trialers back in the 90s. I rode my Gas Gas Pampera. It worked fine in the Intermediate class.
  2. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Sherco 2.9 for a brief time and foolishly sold it. I'm looking again for a trials bike but the Explorer seems like it would work better being able to travel short distances to prime riding areas. My use would be to work on my riding skills and have fun on some technical trails. Curious about the real world price on the Explorer and how close to a real trials bike it really is? Any regrets on getting the Explorer vs. a real trials bike?
  3. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I paid $8k for it. I was ready to buy and got the first 2014, so full price. I doubt there is a lot of room to move. 2013 bikes are avaliable at a good price, but I wanted the upgrades of the 14.

It is the same bike as the TR280 trials bike with the following differences
    Another fuel tank (2 gal capacity total, tied together)
    Sub frame, bigger rear fender, plate holder
    Seat
    Turn signals, lights etc.
    A bit firmer suspension, but lower grade (seems to work pretty well)
    I was going to order it with the Ohlins, but I just didn't wan to wait!
    Tube type wheels
    Different brake pedal. (Buy the trials one!)
    Pirelli tyres rather than Michelin (Michelin are better)

There may be a few other smaller differences I missed (brake master or something) but the engine, trans, frame, swingarm etc are the same.

I understand one was used at the Scottish 6 days to quite good results.from what I'm told, it works darn well as a trials bike.
    Obviously it is a bit heavier and you can't move around quite as much- but geometry, engine, clutch, brakes all work really well.
    I'm no trials rider, I'm just learning a little about it. But those who are good have said good things.

You could give Adrian at Lewisport a call, he could give you the best info.

I had a regular trials bike before (GasGas TXT 280pro) and like the OSSA More in every way.
    I ride it on 4 hour rides with no problems at all, I use the seat if I get out of shape, or for hills with ruts too deep to keep feet on the pegs.
    It has all the street gear, so I plated it and can legally ride FS roads, roads to the riding areas and could make a road ride back if something happens.
    It also carries enough fuel for a 40-50 mile ride of single track, runs super clean and will easily cruise at 50mph.

The gearbox is a trials box, so the first three are really close, a bit of a gap to fourth, then a large gap to 5th and 6th. No big problems so far with it. Sometimes 4th is a little high and 3rd a little low, but it has so much torque that it is no big deal.

Great fun when the trails deteriorate- I'm slowly learning how to make better use of its easy weight transfer and excellent power delivery.

As you can tell I'm very excited about the bike, just plain so much fun!
    Yeah, on the rough trails I could go faster on my 300, but I don't care about going as fast as I can anymore. I go about 60% of max anyway.
    I try for total control and making the bike do what I want it to- and just have fun riding mountain trails! I don't get to ride those all year, or eve as much as I would like, but it is really fun on everything I've done so far.
    I doubt I'd like it in the desert very much...

Wow, that was a lot longer reply than I meant to do.

Mark

4. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark/Lotus:

What size are you? I am 58, 6-foot 225lbs, big feet. Can I really fit on this Explorer?

I am fixated on getting back to single track. I loved my KTM 200 XC-W. But I thought I was a hero and kept crashing or getting spit off on slippery rocks and stuff. Broke a leg and stuff.

Then a had knee replacement a year ago and am now feeling confident enuf to do technical trails.

The Sherco X-Ride is attractive too though I am spooked by the bad build quality some have tagged it with.

I hear the Beta 300 RR could be an old man's trail bike. But that's a race bike.

I want to be in control not racing on the edge with a bike that's too highly strung for plonking.

Do you fit okay on the Explorer?

Thanks for your time.

Ted
  5. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I'm 58, 5'10" and about 180. Size 12 boots.

No issues with foot size, it is typical trials, take your foot off the peg to shift. Stock brake pedal is way to far out, but the TR280 one is perfect.
    I don't see where you would have any issue- as long as you ride standing. The bike really rewards standing anyway, but for your size it may seem a little cramped when sitting.
    I put 2" bar risers on it so I could stand more upright to rest on long rides. I have a 34" inseam and the transition form sitting to standing is fine- I rarely sit, bit when I do I look for a bump to help pop me back up later int he ride to save energy.

One of the other guys on the last ride had a Beta enduro, very nice bike. He used to be an expert trials rider, he rode around on my OSSA a bit- he could really make it do stuff! Even though he said he was really rusty.
    It will really teach you to ride better.

The sherco is a lot heavier I believe. So,far I have not seen any build quality issues with the OSSA or problems with it being too fragile or anything . BUT I very, very rarely crash.
    Some of the things I saw earlier models had issues with have been fixed. Except he brake pedal, I have no idea why they don't ship with those. Maybe it is some rule in Europe for Streep legality or something. At least is is no big dealt I fit the trails version.

Oh yeah, the air filter is LOT higher than most trials bikes and higher than my KTM for that matter.
    Easy to service, tends to stay clean and intake is right at the headstock. Deep water crossings are good with this bike.

Where are you located? I'm happy to show the bike.

Mark
  6. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL.....Must be you get to a certain age and having something to sit on once and awhile becomes important. I'm 55, 6'1" and 230 lbs. Risers for sure. Cables ok with 2" risers?
    I appreciate your insights on the bike Mark. There's not a whole lot of info out there on it and I've never actually seen one in person. Closest dealer is 2 hours away and I don't believe he's getting one unless someone orders one. It's a lot of money to spend on something you've never laid a hand on.
    That said, it seems like the perfect bike for what I want. The trials bike was fun, but being limited to riding around the yard and my neighborhood was frustrating. Just being able to travel a few miles gets me to some places I could spend all day at.
    Thanks!
  7. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    A bike with a seat works better for rough trail riding anyway. Unlike in a Trials section that has been cleared and pre ridden, sometimes you have to duck under brush and limbs or paddle up a hill. Having a seat lets you weight the rear wheel with your feet off the pegs, there's no observer anyway.
  8. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago on ride we came across some guys going the other way.

Someone saw me coming and hollered out 'Don't sit down!'
    I guess we get 'observers' one way or the other.

Yeah, sometimes it isn't pretty but I still make it.

Mark
  9. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Louts54, My buddy and I just bought a pair of explorers. We are across the water from you in Victoria. Mine is a 2012 old stock (#129) should be here in a week, my buddy already has his (I think his was the first one in N.A.). We went riding with it yesterday and had lots of fun. We both have KTM EXCFs, so this will be fine as a play bike and for the wifey to ride.

I gotta few questions:

(1) What is your gearing? We use the bikes for technical trail riding and junior events, which does not require such low gearing.

(2) Neutral was a bit of a pain to find while the engine was running - do you have the same issue?

(3) Do you have a map switch? Can you tell any difference?

thanks!
  10. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    Gearing has actually worked ok. Low is alright for picking through places with no trail at all. I use 3 or 4 th for most of the trials, on connector roads it is nice having the higher 5/6. It would be. Bit better with a more even, but it works just fine.

Neutral is about the same as my 300, rocking the bike a little or put it in neutral when moving bolt work. The gearbox as supposed to be upgraded for 14.

I don't have a map switch- I think it would be nice to try.

Buzz over on the ferry some time!

Mark
  11. NechakoRiver

NechakoRiver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the TR280i but they are very similar bikes so I'll chime in.

Neutral being hard to find is normal. Try at a slow roll and you should be able to find it with a little less trouble. Fresh oil is needed to keep it shifting smoothly. I use PJ1 Clutch Tuner Ultralight oil.

My bike has 11/42 gearing and I find it to be a good range for what I do. I'm purely a trail rider and it will go from putting at a crawl to 60km/h on logging roads. It will probably go faster than that but I'll need a smoother and straighter logging road to find out. It starts to feel a little floaty at that speed with only 4 psi in the tires.

Enjoy the new bikes!
  12. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    Lotus54, I have seen a few of your postings on TT and Trials Central - is there a forum specific to the Explorer or is all lumped into the trials stuff? It be nice to connect directly with a bunch of other Explorer owners.
  13. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I suggest using this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23023629#post23023629

That way there might more than three of you.
  14. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    God, last thing I want is another mega thread on ADVRider...

Plus I want to talk specifically with other Explorer owners, about their Explorers, and not a bunch of armchair blustering about why the freeride is better than the X Ride... blah de blah. Isn't there already too many threads on this topic - why start another?
  15. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    There is a OSSA only forum (website) but I think almost no members.
    http://ossaforum.com

While I think the thread lamo started has lots of merit, but I also can see a specific only would be nice - although currently not that many around.
    I personally think the more people that actually try one will increase the numbers a lot. Of course it depends if you live fairly near a dealer of if you don't mine being a distance from one.
    Heck, I guess the closest one to me is really only about 20 miles away- but a boat ride and boarder crossing...

Maybe along with the one lamo started one that is Explorer specific?

Mark
  16. OneEffinName

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark - thanks, this is good. I have a list of 10-15 guys with Explorers from around the world, I will get them to sign up.
  17. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: