Garmin City Navigator V8 NT....thinks you can ride on water

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by freeflow, Jan 11, 2007.

1. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    just and interesting note...I have been playing with my 60CX and City Navigtor NT V8....cool stuff...

I live in Wisconsin and had to go to the UP of Michigan yesterday....a stretch of hwy M35 north of menominee michigan to Escanaba is about 50-60 miles and no gas...the road goes along the shoreline of the upper portion of Lake Michigan/Bay of Green Bay

I select nearest gas stations to see what it does....the first 20 places come up at 20+ miles away ACROSS 20 MILES OF LAKE over into door county wisconsin....easily over 150 miles away by road....:loco ...(PS NO the bay is not frozen:lol3 )

I said before...I am new to road GPS units...and I have been using GPS ofr boating and flying for years...interesting that it goes as a crow flies, not driveable route....:ear
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't do that as far as I know. Check your routing preferences. May be set to "direct".
  3. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    My 2720 just tells me the nearest gas stations as the bird flies. That's how they all do it, I imagine, regardless of the settings.

Not ideal, but if it wanted to tell me the on-road distance to each one, it would have to calculate a route to each one. Calculating a route takes 6 seconds or so ... and maybe it checks out the ten nearest gas stations ... so then it would take a full minute to make that list. Or it could just ignore routing and give you an instant answer. Granted, that means a wrong answer in some rare circumstances like yours, but it's a trade off of 99.9% correct and fast vs. 100% correct and sloooow.
  4. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    nope...preferences is set to "follow roads"

justa pita to read where each one is and scroll thru the list of 20 +.....

in my airplane GPS, I like the nearest airport mode when flying ...LOL>..
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    OK, I misunderstood. I thought it was giving him a direct route after he chose to navigate to one. Sabasilo is of course correct.