What first mod for an XR650R?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by hezekiahmunson, May 31, 2008.

1. hezekiahmunson

hezekiahmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have a new XR650R that I am going to use for offroad trail riding and also street supermoto. I have a second set of 17" wheels and tires coming for the supermoto action. What would be a best first modification(I already uncorked it)? Is a fork brace a worthwhile addition? Thanks
  2. pilate74

pilate74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get some money tree seeds. It will help:lol3
  3. Johnny KLR

Johnny KLR Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer:
    I'd think a DS kit if you're planning on streeting it.

Beyond that... a new rear tire, and another new rear tire, and another new rear tire...
  4. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    Oversized front rotor............so you can stop.:deal
  5. BDKW1

BDKW1 KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer:
    If your planning on street rides of any length, a new seat will be in order.
  6. Mythic

Mythic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can deal with the ergonomics of the cockpit as delivered from Honda... Then I say the best "1st mod" is getting the right springs for your weight (& re-valving the forks & shock if that's in the budget).

If you aren't comfy on the bike as delivered from Honda, then IMO, the best 1st mod is still the right springs for your weight. :evil Followed by moving the bars, re-working the seat, etc...
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Have you got it plated and titled yet? If not, as Johnny KLR says, get a DS Kit - I used the Baja Designs one - simple to fit, it all works well, although the DoT headlight is a bit ugly (once it's registered you can fit the original or something else though of course). btw. DRC do a neat LED brake/tail light insert so you can retain the original fender mounted rear lamp (not have to use an add on).

Braking Wave 260mm front disc (and caliper mount) is a good idea.

I fitted Renthal Fatbars (plus a GPR steering damper kit - although you could just use fatbar adapters on the standard yoke to get a bit more height).

I built mine as a Rallye bike, so there are 101 different bits on it, but as a play bike, with the above fitted you'd be pretty much set to go?

xxx

ps. I flushed my original fork oil out and filled up with 2.5wt as recommended by Thumpertalk - plushes up the front end no end...