Thinning the Vintage herd.....

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by El Duque, Nov 10, 2012.

1. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming we all love (and maybe at times hate) these old bikes, when do you decide to let one of them go....? And when there is more than one ready to leave the nest - which one goes first?

not the project...

but the one(s) you've put a lot of time, energy, $$$, and contemplation into etc. over the years. The restored runner or damn close to it.

It was a labor of love and now you have to, want to; let it go. But not really!

Its hard to do I reckon.
  2. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:
    Never gonna happen.
  3. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At gunpoint... and maybe not even then. :D
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Some guys even keep the rusted frame that was on a bike they had as a child,nothing ever leaves their hands.
    It does become a sickness at a certain point.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make a list of the bikes you have. If you forget to list one or more of them, then you don't need them. Also, consider ditching whatever's at the bottom of your list because you don't care about it as much as the rest.
  6. schneller

schneller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In order to fund a motorcycle trip, yes.
  7. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HTML:
    In order to fund a motorcycle trip
    or fix one of the other ones?
  8. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I'd like to think I could sell just 1. :evil:rofl
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never sell guns,tools or motorcycles. In hard times guns can defend and feed,tools can earn a living and motorcycles can maintain your sanity. Advice from the old man. Now that he's gone and I'm getting old he was a lot smarter than I thought.
  10. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    I've regretted almost every bike I've sold, so never gonna happen again. I seem to get very attached, most have a pretty good story, and there is pride in bringing one back from the dead. If I were given a choice to get rid of some bikes or kids,,well....
  11. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm tossing and turning on selling two of my BMW's, but it'll probably never happen. I just need a bigger shed, I think. :lol3
  12. WhatThaFrig

WhatThaFrig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great advice. :thumb
  13. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I been thinning my herd recently, If I let one go I usually do it because I 've had the bike for years and it's time for a new guardian, the best thing I've found is to give 'em to family. I gave a really nice Sears SR 125 to one of my nephews and a 250 Jawa to another nephew The boys know how tough it was for me to let the go and they both appretiate the bikes that much more and I gave a '74 YZ 125 and a real nice Puch 175 Six Day to my brother, saddly they were sold when he fell on hard times. I've found when I sell a bike I regret it almost immediatly And when I give one to a family member or close friend there is no remorse because I know how much it means the the person. No I'm not wealthy but for me it's not adout the money, I don't collect big buck motorcycles so maybe that has something to do with how I feel. I know some won't understand but thats ok that's how I work.
  14. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    Pm me if you do that. Lol.
  15. Harry Backer

Harry Backer Ran when parked!

Oddometer:
    I sell them from time to time. Life is to short for just one bike. I am going to ride as many diferent ones as I can before I die.:D
  16. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just pulled a 1979 Yamaha XS650 out of my shed and into the garage to dust off and sell.
    It took a little work but once I got it fired up and running smooth it all came back to me what I loved about this bike.I'm not so sure I can part with it now.
  17. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I have to sell bikes.
    Still never had a garage.

I can fit 3 in various parts of my house;
    so whenever I get the itch,
    something has to go.
  18. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    EXACTLY!

The ones that don't jerk my chain, move on. But the future projects, the ones I've ridden or have history with and love, that's a whole different story!

I don't see myself making much money fixing them up and selling, so the monetary aspect isn't it. But the space is. The big difficulty is there are a couple bikes I really want, but don't have the space, or the cash. Good thing is I could sell a couple bikes to make room and the cash, but can't decide which I'd be willing to let go. And then it's making the time to spiff them all up to make them saleable, at which time - I fall in love all over again...

It's a vicious cycle!
  19. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    +1
  20. Rightshiftrick

Rightshiftrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've sold a number of them over the years. Each one hurts a bit to let go at first, but was the right move in the end.

The Norton and BMW would be the hardest, and it would have to be for something major that I would let them go. My Commando was my first bike, and still a favorite to ride. The BMW I brought back after it sat for 10 years. I've had it for about 8 years now and It has taken me on many long trips. I've finally got it set up how I want it as a runner. To think I almost sold it instead of my Ducati a few years ago.