DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. OldenSlow

OldenSlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When will you have my set finished and in the mail? :D

2. xzyragon

xzyragon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you buy that top rack or make it yourself? I've been looking to buy a simple bolt on one for my bike.
  3. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS
    That top rack was on the bike when I got it. (its steel with no tags or anything to identify who/where made it)
  4. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the standard rack that came on a number of the SE models.
  5. onurleft

onurleft OTR

Oddometer:
    The weight penalty is worth it over having the aftermarket muff droning in your head. So glad to have stock back on, and being a Sunday rider could care less about the weight.
  6. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you actually used EMT for those side racks? Or does the Greenlee have tubing OD size fits?
  7. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really. I typically see the small welded rack ass OEM. Looks like that is a bolt on affair.

Dig the side racks. Don't think I have seen a Bender like that.
  8. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sold my 350 to another forum inmate and will hopefully be moving over to the 650 soon. Notice I said "over" and not "up", because I still think the DR350 is one of the best bikes ever - it's mission is just a little bit different than the 650.
    The DR350 is the bike that got me back into motorcycling after a 20 yr layoff and I will forever remember it with fondness.
    Thanks to all of you here that have shared with me how to maintain and care for the 350. I'll see some of y'all over on the 650 thread too.
  9. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may be right - my rack is about the same size but has a different flat surface with smaller tubes in the centre, and mitred tubes where it bolts to the frame. However the one in the picture has the tool box holder and why anyone would want one on an accessory rack beats me....I hate that little thing!

Edit: MrP is right - after looking a little closer I can see the original non-rack under the bolt-on over rack; my se has the factory parcel rack and it is all one piece.....
  10. calcoast

calcoast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody,

This is my first post. (quick bio) Since I was a kid (28 now) I always wanted a dirt bike. A couple of years ago I decided to get serious about it. After finding out what a dual sport is and after a lot of research I've finally decided on a DR 350s/se for my first bike. I got my permit last week and saved up enough so I can finally start to search for one. :clap

I started reading this thread a couple of months ago. I'm up to page 349 and I've learned so much from you guys. When I first started reading up on this site I didn't even know what a petcock was. :fpalm

I still have a lot to learn but I just wanted to thank you guys for the abundance of info in this thread and on this site.

I'll now add to the discussion lol.

Am I the only one who likes the totally radical:evil graphics on the DR?
    Since I've been reading this thread and seeing all the pics it seems like the first thing everybody does is get rid of the graphics. My personal favorite are the '92 graphics, how about you guys?
  11. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soldier, If you can swing it keep both. I agree with your assessment though. The 650 definitely has longer legs.

My DR650 is set up as an adventure bike (long days, lots of miles, significant percentage of pavement). My DR350 used to be a kick-only, street legal dirt bike used mostly for day rides. Over the winter however I haved morphed it into a more adventure-worthy ride by replacing the dirt model motor with a fresh e-start motor. Even so the 650 will always have more "head-room" for the highway sections and being larger, it's a better "pack mule" for multi-day trips.

In 2 weeks I'll be taking the 650 out to Big Bend (lots of hard pack gravel roads - DS tires). Then in late summer the "new" 350 will do the southern half of the CDR (more technical with the potential for lots of mud - full knobbies). Like you said different missions.

I did the northern half of the CDR and the CO, UT, NV sections of the TAT on the 650. 90% of time it was fine but the 350 would have definitely been a better choice for that other 10%.

Three of is on big bikes on the last TAT adventure. We all wished for smaller bikes from time to time.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25594223
  12. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Welcome aboard! This is one of the better groups on ADV. Lots of great information, very helpful people, and not a lot of bitching and whining.

I ride a '94, and like the graphics fine. What I see happening a lot is that the graphics get banged up and messy looking and folks just pull them off and don't worry about it. Doesn't bother me much one way or the other.

Good luck searching for a bike! Make sure to post a pic when you get it.
  13. onurleft

onurleft OTR

Oddometer:
    46310-15D30-0NF by the fiche appears to be the offering from Suzuki but is no longer available. Mine came with the stock rack.
  14. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for a parts bike lately with not luck. I am in need of a head and some other stuff for the engine I am building. I have found I a few bikes lately for really cheap but I have been letting buddies know about them and get them to use rather than me destroy them for parts. not today however! I found one and kept her for myself. greed I tell ya. problem is I don't know if I can tear her down for parts. someone built this thing. there are quite a few things that need attention but its solid.
    I am curious if anyone knows anything about this bike or who built it.
    it is a titled 91 dirt model
    white brothers rear shock (which I didn't know existed)
    inverted forks with wp stickers on the (ktm I am guessing)
    drz400 yoshimura just like I put on my 441
    non pumper flat slide mikuni . I have seen that carb on 435 thumper racing kits and I have a feeling this is in fact a big bore.
    the forks are very interesting to me because they use the dr wheel, brake, and speedo drive
    sorry for the cruddy pic. [​IMG]
    I don't know if I can tear this beauty down for parts or not
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Those are White Power forks and shock that were built for the DR's.
  16. mattmg6

mattmg6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm new to the club, and also new to engine work in general. I picked up a '90 DR350S as my first bike and foray into mechanics. I've had it almost a year now, and I love it, but I have an issue that I thought someone here might be able to diagnose for me.

A few months ago, I managed to run some dirty gas straight into the carb. Stupid mistake. I pulled the carb, cleaned it well, put it back. Since then I had trouble starting it, so I had been messing with the Air/Fuel mixture screw. I think I finally got that dialed in, but also, say every 15 minutes of runtime, it will make a little "Psshhht" noise, and try to die. I can feel a burst of air on my right leg when it does this. If I am not actively on the throttle when it does this the bike dies. I just cant figure it out. I got a carb rebuild kit, and plan on working on that soon.

It could be the float bowl level is the only thing I can think of at this point. Maybe I bent the tab on the float during my multiple cleaning sessions. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Thanks a ton for your input.
  17. xzyragon

xzyragon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    guess the 91 s didn't come with a rack stock then. Damn.
  18. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Burst of air on your right leg??? Are the rubber boots sealed tightly on both sides of the carb? This little motor is very sensitive to changes in intake "plumbing".
  19. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's not a scenario that I've ever encountered on my DR and I've done a lot of work on it. I'd try to get it figured out asap just in case. You should try my favorite test to check if (like thump said), you have an air leak. Get a can of starter fluid, and with the bike running, spray the key areas where a leak might be. If there's a leak, it will bog down when you spray that spot because it causes the engine to suck in that "fuel" and become rich. Make sure to check both sides of the boot on the air box side, and both sides of the boot on the engine side. The choke knob is another potential failure point.
  20. redwine65

redwine65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck, I maybe following to the 650 right after I put a lot of miles on my 350.:1drink