Hi Viz or Regular color on jacket?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by guiri, Dec 31, 2012.

1. guiri

guiri Guest

Oh, I definitely think it helps but still, the best way to make a decision is to ask people with experience.

The web is awesome for that :)
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    did I see somewhere your looking for 5xl ? Kilmanjaros are sized up to 4xl, I know that JR Ballistic has larger sizes and maybe they've improved but they still get no recomendation from me, I had JR ballistic about 9 years ago, never agian, stitching pulled apart, they were replaced under warranty, but the replacements did the same thing and the replacements did the same thing again, I gave up and turned to First Gear, but I'm only a 3xl jacket (2xl pant)

I'd call Aerostitch, see if they can custom something for you
  3. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    This. (See avatar.)
  4. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I went with a hi-viz vest, instead of jacket. That way I can take it off when not on the bike, such as being in stores or restaurants etc.. I don't want to be as noticeable off the bike as I am on. To each their own.
  5. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black and grey are hard to see because they blend in with shadows, and cages too much. There are large numbers of gray/silver/black vehicles of all types out there. Pavement is gray concrete or black asphalt. Lot's of us like black/gray but I think it is one more thing that makes us less visible on our already hard to see bikes. Hi-Viz it is for me. It's all personal preference of course but I prefer the cards be stacked a little more in my favor. When you drive your car, which is easier for you to see even given our hightened awareness of bikes on the road?
  6. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or these:

[​IMG]
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

They probably can't see you coming because they're covering their eyes to prevent blindness.
  8. guiri

guiri Guest

Yeah, I saw their sizing and I can't really afford a custom jacket either. I got tipped off about a special at cyclegear and they did come in 5x so I'll find out on Friday.

If I can't find something reasonably, I'll just get some rain gear to go on top of a jacket I have right now that's nice and thick.
  9. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. guiri

guiri Guest

Really? YOu have to register to see the price?

By the way, thanks. Didn't want you thinking I'm a dickhead :D

Yeah, I'm putting lights on there somewhere but haven't decided what to do.
    More than likely I'll pimp my own solution for a lot of light but we'll see.
    Something's going up there though :)
  11. roostar

roostar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If given a choice, I would always opt for Hi-Viz. Having said that, my last two jacket purchases from Olympia didn't have Hi-Viz in my size. Plan "B" was to purchase a light weight Hi-Viz vest and wear it over the top. When I do group rides and looking for my buddies way up ahead of me, my eyes are always drawn to those who where Hi-Viz pretty quickly. I think it makes a huge difference. FWIW
  12. navi

navi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, nice and bright !

Will certainly assist in reducing the amount of folks turning left in front of you

A large number if close calls come from the side, I'm surprised how many times I've had someone change lanes into me, seems like they give a quick check at start changing lanes

I yes ..... Never ride in the blind spot
  13. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    To be fair, that was probably 25% or so. This would be blinding: :rofl

[​IMG]
  14. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

Would worry the front turn signals would be completely washed out by the extra lights????????
  15. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Not to hijack, but the leds are mounted lower than the oem fogs, and don't interfere with turn signals (unless you crank everything up, then it is just a uber white blob). :D
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The last Hi Viz jacket I had faded pretty quick,an Olympia. Once they are faded and then stained and dirty from bugs,
    They are then ugly and some how weak looking.I didnt want to be seen in it and sold it.
    I will just do my usual wheelies and stoppies in traffic to be seen..........
  17. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear a high vis helmet now... my co workers say they can see me from quite a distance, and I have noticed that cars seem to notice me more now. I am planning on buying a high vis vest to go over my black coat. It is much cheaper to replace the vest vs a coat when it starts to dull.
  18. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi viz jacket and white helmet,
    REI sells some rain repellant spray that works well. After a long trip throw my jacket and pants in wash, leaving armor in wash with woolite and double rinse. Hang dry
    Respray water repellant on before rainy season
    Yes hi viz fades, think it gives it character
    Everything to been noticed while riding helps
  19. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I found this Tourmaster Epic jacket online for 159.00. The day after it arrived I took off on a long tour that included snow, rain, and high winds. The jacket stayed warm and dry no matter what the weather.
    It weighs a ton, so that needs to be lived with. I substituted the liner with a lightweight down jacket. That worked really well and I didn't need to carry an extra jacket for evenings.
  20. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

4 years, about 100k miles and washed/treated twice a year with Nikwax or Scotchgard. It doesn't even soak my crotch when properly treated. :lol3. Head had a Scorpion EXO-900 on top.