WWII German Motorcycle Tank

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by themenz, May 13, 2009.

1. themenz

themenz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if some of these still exist?

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/fd5_1242227945"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/fd5_1242227945" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Der musik ist auch gut?
  2. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I used to belong to the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA) and subscribed to their magazine, as well as another magazine called Military Vehicles.

There are big MV shows in Europe (makes sense, there's a lot of hardware there.) And I do recall seeing some restored Kettenkaftenrads there.

I also seem to recall seeing one at a Military Vehicle museum in Lexington (or maybe it was Arlington?), NE, in 2002.

I wonder if they were hard to drive? It would seem to me that if you have two big tracks pushing you forward and only a little tiny wheel trying to turn you, the tracks are going to win.

EDITED TO ADD: We had a similar type of vehicle in the US military, it was called the M29 Weasel and was very similar except that it used a skid-steer system so it didn't need the motorcycle front end. Every Winter in CO there is a Weasel gathering at Camp Hale, where the 10th Mountain Division trained.

Here's a photo of an M29 that someone added a home-built "cab" to. Location was in Silver Plume, CO and as far as I know it's still there:

[​IMG]
  3. themenz

themenz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on the video, looks like the treads did win. Some of those guys were working the bars and the little buggers seemed to go where they wanted. Especially climbing over a rise or crossing along a ditch.

Got to be more stable than just two wheels tho. I love the guys in their crisp uniforms casually being hauled across a fast moving river.
  4. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Had the good fortune to see this NSU Kettenkrad, not only in several musea in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Ardennes</st1:place> and <st1:country-region><st1:place>Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region>, but also several times in real life, riding through the snow and mud on several sidecar winter events.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This is just an example: <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

<OBJECT height=364 width=445>
    &ampampampampnbsp
    &ampampampampnbsp
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M4orywPfl10&hl=nl&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></OBJECT>

So, to answer your question, they still exist. For your information, when you steer just a littlebit, only the front wheel moves, when you steer hard, the brakes on the tracks are applied. :deal <o:p></o:p>
    They’re heavy and slow, but very impressive. And the music "ist Scheisse" :evil
    Richard-NL :bmwrider <o:p></o:p>
  5. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Nitron Racing Shocks USA

Oddometer:
  6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. themenz

themenz Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the function of that doohickey sticking up from the front fender?

Looks like some sort of advanced radar modeled on a German Helmet?
  8. JesperXT

JesperXT XT 550 Rider!

Oddometer:
    It's a black-out headlight...
    [​IMG]
  9. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the grey one has a light there, I'd imagine that the hood is a black out cover allowing the driver to see the ground immediately around him with out shining upwards.

As far as hard to drive, they steer with the wheel but also have individual track brakes. Much like the early tractor/crawlers.

You can accomplish straight line or small amounts of steering with the wheel, and if the wheel leaves the ground or a tighter turn needs to be accomplished the brakes can be individually applied. You could easily out power the steering using a track brake if its at all like any of the old traction engine tractors, the wheel becomes a bit of a plow it you turn it hard and don't assist with a brake.

They seem to be slooooowwww
  10. themenz

themenz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ADVRIDERS are amazing!!:thumb
  11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer:
    The Sonderkraftwagen (meaning 'Special Vehicle') or abbreviated as SdKfz 2 kleines Kettenrad (meaning 'half-track') was developed for the German Army and Luftwaffe airborne units as a light utility tractor (Model HK101) for towing the Pak 35/36 anti-aircraft gun.

The HK101 system was designed for one driver, positioned in a well just between the two tracks and the engine placed squarely behind him. Two passengers could be carried on the removable rear seat port or resupply items could be carried instead.

Upon incurring huge losses on the island of Crete, the Luftwaffe troops now found themselves fighting as a regular army, with little use for their light artillery/ Thusly, the Kettenrad lost its primary role of transporting artillery for the paratroopers and was now instead relegated to be used strictly as a supply tractor.

Towing capacity was limited to 992 lbs, but the little system could navigate mud, rock and sand in areas where larger machines could not. Few Kettenrads were eventually built, and most were held in reserve for the most difficult of resupply missions.

Eventually, the success of the smaller Kettenrad brought along the proposal of a larger version known as the Model HK102, which would feature a larger engine and the capability to carry 5 men. Unfortunately, the Kettenrad system as a whole was deemed an inessential part of the German war machine - a luxury it could do without - and thusly the HK102 never went past the design stage.

Kettenrads, though produced in low numbers, saw action through the end of the war. Several variants were modified including a cable-laying system operated by a driver and cable signaller. Two of these cable-laying variants existed as the SdKfz 2/1 and the SdKfz 2/2.

The SdKfz 2 kleines Kettenrad can be seen in action at the climax of the World War 2 motion picture Saving Private Ryan.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1jfr19iIuVY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1jfr19iIuVY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  12. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Exactly one of the sidecar winterevents I was talking about. In the end you see a french THREEWHEELDRIVE Sidecar outfit. To be honoust, I found that more interesting.

Richard-NL :bmwrider