2011 bmw g 650 gs fork failure

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by antiquewidow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Well.... part of me thinks that there hasn't been enough time for BMW to work through her particular issue but on the other hand, the OP has been conspicuously absent since late July.
  2. robbepp

robbepp Why not?

Oddometer:
    This particular failure has been cross posted all over the planet. Does anyone know of any other similar failures in 2011 models?
  3. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    No we have not heard of any other failures in 2011 models

I understand VOSA UK has asked BMW for information as a result of the failure so they are aware of it
  4. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I will relate my experience with my original left fork leg on my Dakar. When I bought the bike I was having lots of fork seal problems in both sides. Bike was used with 6k miles and records Indicated that the previous owner had service done several times also. Repeated fixes were not helping, nor was gaiters for the forks. I finally found a good sized stone ding in the right stanchion, so I sanded that down and solved it. The left remained problem...every few thousand km I would have another dead seal.

Finally, in desperation, I took it to a friends garage. He's a machinist and among other things puts together frames for choppers, among other work. When we took off the left fork, he commented that you could see the inside was visibly out of true based on reflection of light inside. Reflection of light along the shaft showed a distinct crease in the fork, just above where the brake would mount. When we put it back together, he ran it along it's range and noted considerable side to side play in the fork leg...significantly more than in the other fork leg, which also passed visual inspection. I would say that at certain places along its travel, the fork could be twisted in the slider up to several millimeters, which produced the better part of a centimeter of movement at the end cap. The other side had maybe one third of that. The play was worst when the stanchion was pushed in to about the location of the "kink" or "crease" we could see in the visual.

He decided to tell me that I should buy a new fork leg. I did and immediately all my problems with recurrent seals disappeared. It is clear to me that at least the out of true leg was contributing to my seal problems.

A few observations arise from this:

first, it's clear that the tendency to allow twisting of the stanchion within the leg is highly undesirable. The parts are not designed for that. My fork leg had a manufacturing defect.

Second, the location my imperfection is at a very similar location to those forks which have failed.

Third, Discontinuities are locations of stress concentration. If in fact I was having these issues, I would think that the aluminum of the leg was experiencing stress concentrations here which would not be according to design.

I am not claiming that this is an answer...but I find the coincidence rather odd. The fork leg still sits in my garage. After having a few folks over at f650 belittle me for relating this story and telling me that I was an idiot, it was just bugs on the stanchion, and what not, I dropped it.

Edit: my bike is a 2002 Dakar.
  5. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    To me this is just another bit of evidence that there was/is a process problem with the castings.

Whether or not you're an idiot is an unrelated question. :lol3
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your experience. Very interesting discovery and your observations are helpful.
    Also, you have proved you are not an idiot like those who minimize the danger of riding with an obvious defective fork.
    An idiot would be the one who ignores the possible danger and pays the penalty by NOT replacing the fork leg.
    Good on you mate! :clap

p.s. I do not mean that everyone should replace their forks as this is a very rare occurrence, just that if you have evidence of a problem it would be wise to check it out.
  7. antiquewidow

antiquewidow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, everyone.

I am still around and breathing. Healed up finally except for the weakness and slight pain in my wrist. Meanwhile I have been doing some self - physical therapy on it so I can roll the throttle on and off.

I have put BMW behind me - it ROYALLY SUCKS that it happened. But I will not let it or them knock me down from enjoying the ride.

I have been
    Checking out the new bikes available on line. Waiting for springtime to venture to the sales rooms to try em out.
    And no BMW will not be one of them.
  8. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    It's just great to hear from you AW!

I'm glad you are recovering and are still up for some moto adventuring. Winter is a great time to buy a bike! If you post what you are thinking of getting you will be buried by lots of advice, some of it may even be useful.

Good luck!
  9. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Qbi2C5FDrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:evil
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear this one bad experience hasn't put you off bikes forever.

Another potential candidate for your shopping expedition: 2012 DL 650. Really nice bike with a long term "Low grief" reputation.

Pete
  11. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it always the right fork leg that breaks first?

For anyone concerned about their fork leg breaking, I'd contact a local metallurgical testing lab. Ask them about how they'd test the cast aluminum fork leg if you disassemble it and bring in only the clean casting, and ask the cost. Let them know that it appears to start cracking from the inside around the lug, but really nothing is known for sure. Bring along some photos of others that have broken as well as a printout of the findings of FinlandThumper.

Here's an example of what a testing lab can look at:
    http://www.nwlabs1896.com/metallurgy.html

If you get any info, please let us all know.
  12. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Metallurgy tests have been done on a number of failed fork legs, results are mixed

There are metallurgists with many years of experience who have posted into the various threads and we all
    thank them for their work. Look at the failure analysis page

The information which is public on it all can be read here

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/FFIntro.html
  13. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    AW,

Good to hear that the experience hasn't spooked you on riding in general.
  14. antiquewidow

antiquewidow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to sure yet.. As I do live in a rural area I would like something that can handle rough roads, since some roads around here are dirt an stone. I know definately I am going to go check out the triumph tiger 800xc and kawasaki KLR 650. Triump street triple might be one too I check out. You know how it goes - start looking and anything is possible once you sit on em and see if you melt in that seat.

15. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Aw-

Kwak Versys also a fine candidate.
  16. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're on the mend! I have a set of Yamaha forks sitting in my garage, right next to my 2001 Dakar, and plan to make the swap once things warm up out in my garage a bit - in part due to concerns of a catastrophic failure like yours.

While you're considering new bikes, depending on the street/dirt bias of your riding, you might consider the Husaberg FE570

[​IMG]

It's very much a dirt-oriented enduro, with street capabilities. I just bought an FE390 myself, but am keeping my Dakar (and my R1200GS).
  17. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    AW, thanks for the follow-up. :wave
  18. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
  19. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    AW: Glad to hear you are out and about, looking for your next bike, and with the attitude to keep going. That's great!

Some people suggested the Tiger 800 and some other, fairly big bikes. Not to discourage you, but I would recommend something smaller, especially if you plan to go off the beaten path. The Tiger is a beast compared to your G650GS, and too heavy to wrestle with if it starts slipping, especially after an injury.

Someone suggested the WR250R, which I thing would be a great choice. capable on road, capable off road, light, fuel injected...

Anyway, the final decision rests with you of course, just don't rule out smaller bikes.
  20. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ^^^^^