Christini AWD 450 DS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bike Nomad, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting to see something like this for awhile.

http://http://christini.com/christiniawd450ds.php

The link below is for news of their military version. Does anyone know for sure the engine they are using for that one? I remember reading awhile back there is a military requirement to move towards all engines running on diesel? They refer to it as a 450, so I'm inclined to believe it is their regular gasoline engine?

http://http://christini.com/news.php?ID=136&s=news&off=0

Now if they just put a 650 Rotax engine in it and make an Adventure model--I'd dance a jig!:clap
  2. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard it's a Chinese made Honda engine, hence the price.
  3. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it is a Korean made Honda engine (Kymco or Hyosung?)? I am waiting for my dirt version and am trying to be patient!? :clap
  4. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So anybody out there got their bike yet or even seen one?? I am supposed to see mine today or the next couple days depending on how long it takes the truck to get across the country. :D

[​IMG]
  5. rudyunknown

rudyunknown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just saw the website, its based out of philly, first time ever something is close to home :)
  6. Matified

Matified been there done that

Oddometer:
    Not Korean, China, been there seen that

.http://www.asiawing.com/english/lx450x.html
  7. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    The two I've seen had Honda motors.
  8. Matified

Oddometer:
    Christini does conversions on almost and bike, but the bike shown above is the "Christini" bike and the base bike is made in China. Based on a reproduction of the 2006-08 CRF450x
  9. Bike Nomad

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new bike! I've been waiting for someone to post up that they had pulled the trigger on one. I'm looking forward to hearing your first impressions once you've had a spin on it. :ricky
  10. Bike Nomad

Oddometer:
    You're right about it being one of the new Christini branded bikes. I wish you were correct that they convert almost any bike. Christini offers the frame kits for the following...

Conversions are currently available for the following:
    KTM off-road 250/300 XC and XCW
    KTM 450/530 XCRW and EXCR
    Honda CRF250X
    Honda CRF250R
    Honda CRF450X

That's it. :cry

Plus there is an inmate on here that is a machinist and managed to convert a frame kit to work on a KTM Adventure 950--although he has only made one, even though people are lined up to buy if he started production. Personally I'd give an awful lot to get a Chrisitni conversion on a KTM 690 Enduro R or a BMW X-Challenge. I'm hoping Chrisitini will eventually offer a 650 class dual sport. It could be the best dirt biased dual sport bike/adventure bike ever made if it is designed right.
  11. Matified

Oddometer:
    Yeah your correct, I also would love to have one, maybe on my RMZ450? would also like to ride one, even the Christini 450!
  12. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, picked it up yesterday. Here is a crappy phone pic.

[​IMG]

I haven't ridden it yet, but am pretty impressed so far. A lot of CRF450X parts will fit, such as the Rekluse clutch and hand brake I will be installing, brake pads, bodywork, and the Supermoto wheels, although I need to get another front hub with the one way clutch and drive mechanism laced up to my wheel.

I was pleasently surprised that the suspension doesn't have the usual 150lb rider settings?! In fact, it seems about right for my 200+lb weight. The Paioli forks are also very cool, with a pre-load adjuster normally only found on street bikes. It also came with tapered pars and adjustable bar mounts similar to KTMs. I will report back after a ride.
  13. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    So? The two I saw were at the TN Knockout Enduro last year. They were brought there by the Christini factory team. And they had Honda motors.

Are you saying that somehow the bikes I've seen with my own two eyes didn't have Honda motors? :rofl
  14. Bike Nomad

Oddometer:
    No. I'm sure you saw 2 bikes with Honda motors with Christini in big letters on them if you say so. The fine distinction is were they Honda manufactured motorcycles that were then converted to the Christini AWD system? Or were they the newly introduced (offered up on the website I'm thinking sometime 4th quarter in 2011--but it seems people are just receiving the bikes they ordered now in the first production run?)--Chrisitni branded bikes that use a mostly Chinese (?) produced chassis/motor that is then finished off with the addition of the AWD parts at the Christini factory? I'm trying to clear up any misunderstanding people might be having here. I'm not privy to the inner workings of how Christini manufactures their stuff, just whatever I've been able to gleen on-line so if anyone knows better, please educate us further.:ear
  15. boduke

boduke Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey PeteN95,
    I was in Taskys Saturday picking up a fan kit for my 570. Jeff was prepping your bike while I was there.
    Nice looking machine! Hope to see it dual sporting around the Muk.
    Guess you picking it up yesterday is the reason for all the snow and freezing rain the last couple of days;-)
  16. Matified

Oddometer:
    Nice , I want one of those in a more offroad version, would like to see how MX tracks would be in awd.
  17. Bike Nomad

Oddometer:
  18. Trail Ryder

Trail Ryder Your Hero

Oddometer:
    Wow!!! An AWD bike with a auto clutch and electric start should be like a tank.

A few years back, I was at a Christini demo day. They had a bunch of AWD Honda CRF250R and CRF250X's on hand, 3 woods loops, each progressively harder, and a MX course.

I grabbed an X and headed for the woods. On the easier loop, there was no advantage, maybe even a disadvantage due to the added weight. On the intermediate loop, there was a few technical log crossings and this is where the Christini started to shine. On the AA loop is where the Christini really blew me away (lot of steep and sudden hill climbs). I would have struggled to complete 1 loop on my mono-drive woods bike; I did 2 AA loops on the Christini and was as fresh as a daisy.

The engagement of the front drive was seamless.

The MX guys said that the air born inertia of the front drive unit put it at a disadvantage on the MX track.

The Christini the ultimate steep and snotty day bike. This thing was built for events like Erzberg.
  19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a reason the AMA outlawed AWD in MX and flat track!! :evil Also, the never ending gyro effect of the front wheel in the air during wheelies means they go forever.......... :lol3
  20. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet it could hydroplane pretty good! :ear