Poll: what 990 Adventure model would you go for..?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dog'meat, Oct 6, 2011.

?

Poll: If you have the chance to buy a brand new adventure, what would that be..?

1. 990 Adventure

2. 990 Adventure R

3. 990 Adventure Dakar

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dog'meat

dog'meat Presidient

Oddometer:
    If you have the chance to buy a brand new 990 adventure, what would that be..? And .. why..?
  2. Helajames

Helajames Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got an Adventure R chose it for the suspension and no ABS crap
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Dakar 30th Anniversary, cause the Super Combat colors makes me weak in the knees.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    me too + 3 NO NEED FOR VIRGRA LOOKING AT THIS
  5. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently had to make this decision myself. I ended up purchasing the Dakar. I wanted the extra HP and realistically speaking did not need the extra suspension mm's. I occasionally do long distance rides with my wife and the extra height coupled with my Russel Day Long Seat (which adds over an inch) makes it difficult to mount\dismount. I had an 05.5 standard and got as gnarly as I wanted to get with the standard suspension, so I asked myself "do I really need the extra clearance?". The answer was no. . I have a 530 for the really crazy stuff. And to me, the Dakar is a better looking bike. The ABS is a nice bonus as well, although I've never had a bike with ABS I'm hoping it will save my life some day.

[​IMG]
  6. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. Clrblu22

Clrblu22 Flyn' Floatn' Ridn'

Oddometer:
    I don't have it yet either, but that decision is quickly approaching me.

Based strictly on looks - the R takes the cake in my book. Yo can't beat the black and white with orange R accents.

However, I tend to agree with the gentlemen above about the suspension. I'd much rather have ABS - which has saved my life at least once already - than a few millimeters of suspension travel. I think for me, the Dakar is definitely the better value.
  8. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    How cool is it that we have the choice to make? :freaky
  9. kirkwells62

kirkwells62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with the Dakar because I wanted the ABS with the extra power.

Attached Files:

10. Biker Buzz

Biker Buzz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I like the standard Adventure and the Dakar Edition. Call it old age, or whatever, but I find myself lusting for a KTM...even thinking about trading in the Harley. Love the HD's but can't go off-road. :D BTW. Love this site!
  11. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am exactly in this position, as I'm excitedly about to purchase my first 990. While I'm sure the stock Adventure will suffice for most, and certainly for me, my riding is more off-road focused (I stand for nearly the entire ride), I dont ride 2 up, hence I want the lightest, most off road capable model. I also want something I can grow into, as I expect to keep this bike for many years.

The Dakar is an interesting blend, with its "fusion" of standard and "R" model specs, but its a little loud for me visually. While the standard finishes are appealing, I do prefer the (stark) simplicity of the "R" look.

Still teetering back and forth, will see which way the fates pull me...
  12. ThunderStrom

ThunderStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My history in ADV comes from the BMW R1200GS. I felt like I was abusing the big 'ol beemer, sliding the rear end and feeling it clank around and bottom out. Add on the fragility of cylinder covers and I felt like I was one bad move away from spending a few hundred in replacement parts. Plus, I felt like I was abusing a work of art and engineering with the single swing arm, telelever front end, etc.

For the above reasons, I wanted something that was purpose-built and would take a bit more beating. My decision to look at the KTM Adventure snowballed into a purchase and I haven't looked back. I discovered the "R" is the extreme end of that 990 Adv spectrum. Adding the "R" features later would be more expensive, so that's the route I went.

Have I recognized the suspension difference? No, not really. Is the power increase over the standard awesome? It's amazing. I've missed ABS twice in total, but haven't miss it hundreds of times. I feel that self-managing the braking has made me a more aware, capable rider.

The models are just a few details, dollars and a decal scheme apart. The truth is, the core of the bike, the heart, the balance and "soul," for lack of a better term is the biggest difference over other bikes out there.
  13. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dakar-- regular height, R tune, ABS, comfy seat, killer color combo.
  14. warp9man

warp9man Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer:
    I was in the same boat a few months ago and really wanted the R model but after riding my 950 standard for years doing some pretty gnarly offroad without need of more travel I went with the Dakar and couldnt be happer, ABS, R Motor, Suede Seat and orange Acerbis Hand guards.

im 5'10" with a 34" inseam and the R model was a bit tall to swing the leg over if that helps.

I wasnt sure of the Dakar colors and planned on painting the crash bars black when I got the bike but changed my mind after I got it. they Dakar looks tons better in person and I really like the blue/orange color now.

You do loose some under seat storage due to the ABS motor but theres an inmate that makes an underseat pan that allows you to get that storage space back http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636239

good luck on the choice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also dont forget you can tune any standard model 09-current Adventure to R tune on the motor by using ECUtune and purchasing a cable from CJ Designs, its realy easy to plug the bike in and change the setting on the ECU, I have modded my stock R settings on my Dakar to allow it to go past redline by another 600-700 rpms and smooth out the throttle some more.
  15. ata

ata expat in the jungle

Oddometer:
    could depend in how tall you are, where you´re gonna ride (OFF road) and how rough you are

if the answer is always "very"--------------- the R one without any doubt

but you must know that SE run faster:D
  16. ALLAWYN

ALLAWYN Letsitle

Oddometer:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>I also came from a GS background but there was a designer/engineering philosophy change when the 1200 replaced the 1150.<o:p></o:p>
    I started with KTM riding a 950 SE, and sold it, and I am very very very sorry I did, I really am sorry:tough<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 37.5pt; HEIGHT: 27pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/musicboohoo.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Alwyn\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I ride bike because of dirt roads, try to stay away from tar as far as possible, to dangerous in RSA and my wife is not to exited about riding with me.<o:p></o:p>
    Before I joined KTM I never would have considered a bike looking like the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Dakar</st1:place></st1:City>, that is really in your face visually, but now I find it very desirable :hmmmmm
    But, the R is the business for me, a big dirt bike with real suspension, sub frame for luggage if needed and a larger fuel tank than the SE.<o:p></o:p>
    KTM is definitely going to upgrade the standard Adventure, to be able to compete in the big wide world out there, even if they do, the R will always have a market for the more dirt orientated biker<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    </o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
  17. Masa

Masa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going through these thoughts few weeks ago, when I suddenly got this urge need to upgrade from my 650GS. I always thought that KTM's are ugly, but then I found myself going deeper into this things and after a while I was talking to a dealer about the Adventure. Mind you, haven't ever even seen one of these beast in point blank range. So I was a bit scared about the seat height and chose the standard, which I eventually ordered.. I'm not even sure what I've got myself into, but hopefully it starts to clear up for me on Monday, if I get a change to pick up the brand new Orange wonder that's waiting for me at the dealers garage..

So I chose the Orange simply because I was scared. Your choice may differ..
  18. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    While I voted for the R, I have to say I presonally love the blue/orange color scheme on the Dakar. Since I have a 990 ADV, and the question was "if I could get another one" I therefore had to conclude that I needed the extra suspention of the R. I've been tinkering with spending he dough to upgrade the legs of my 990 and bridging that gap between the two.

As for ABS, it has its purpose on the road, I just wish it could be easier to switch on/off on the fly without having to stop and hold the button (for off) or stop and key off the machine (for on). In the dirt/gravel ABS only stands for "A Bit Spooky."
  19. Alejo

Alejo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I sold my 990 2007 and waiting for the dealer to bring my new 2012 990 R. :D

This is the bike I have been dreaming for since it came out and this is the bike I pretend to keep for too many years.

:freaky
  20. Bootsy

Bootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]