2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When there done I'd be a buyer I think. Need something that won't fall/ break off and this looks like a winner to me! Waiting for a price and eta.

GO R/E..GO,!...
  2. Tweber

Tweber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quote: I welded some strap across the back for the Rotopax mount.

Like the design....looks like a great handle to pull bike around also

Well done:clap
  3. Icy Roads

Icy Roads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a friend looking to replace his worn out KLR. He has done serious long distance touring on his KLR 80000 kilometers and counting. If the Terra has crappy fuel range he won't buy it plain and simple. Combine that with all the other short comings and you have a pretty bad platform to dual sport on........ Is that the consensus of the owners or an isolated opinion?
  4. hasenpfeffer

hasenpfeffer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say that's a common opinion of someone who hasn't ridden one. Ride it, buy it, have fun. :D
  5. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    Not at all. I wouldn't have attempted this on anything else: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872817
  6. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Really, there is no comparison to the KLR. Just ride it and see. The suspension on the TR650 is far superior, the TR is lighter, and the center of gravity is significantly lower.

The only two issues I see are the rear rack and the fuel capacity, not the fuel economy. For me, the fuel capacity is just fine. If you want more, there are options to add a bigger tank. However, if I need more, I'll just pack a rotopax so I can keep the weight down low. It is more effective, and much better than a huge tank up top.

As for the rear rack, aftermarket solutions are coming. They are also way cheaper than upgrading the suspension on a KLR. :evil
  7. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Donkey's pretty much covered it all here :thumb Just a few comments ...

Icy Roads ... I'm not sure what your friend's experience is, but from everything I've read about the new Terra, I'd say give it a try. I've only done a SHORT test ride on one ... I was very impressed. But I'm not an owner and certainly only have limited experience on board the bike.
    I have followed both of the big threads here on ADV Rider and am aware of owner feed back, which has been amazingly POSITIVE! :clap

So far ... there are very few "issues". So I don't know what you're talking about there. So far the Terra and Strada seem to be remarkably ISSUE FREE. Donkey mentioned that solutions for a rack will come ... and the FACT IS ... the Terra Fuel Economy is much better than the KLR. As a former KLR owner (having done significant multi-country tours) there is significant difference between these two machines.

Will the Terra be as Inexpensive, Robust and Versatile as the KLR over the long haul? Will it really be capable as a RTW type bike? Too early to tell. But with some careful mods, IMHO, it could be. Several Terra riders are currently on long tours on the bike. Check in with their ride reports to learn more.

The Terra certainly runs better, has better suspension, power, handling and brakes than the KLR. More significantly, it's going to be easier to ride off road carrying a load than any KLR could ever hope to be. YES ... I've ridden world class modded out KLR's over the CO passes and all around Baja and Mexico. :deal Loaded up, the KLR is a handful.

If you're doing 85% riding ON ROAD ... then may as well just buy another KLR ... or a road bike. I'm a Suzuki DR650 rider, but would certainly consider the Terra as a replacement in the near future. The real (and most relevant) question here is "... what is the future of the Husqvarna Terra 650?" At this point, no one can be certain of that.
  8. Icy Roads

Icy Roads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, that's what I love about ADV-rider you generally get quick concise feedback to questions. I just wanted to make sure this bike wasn't all internet hype with no real world credentials. Thank you all for taking the time to provide feedback. On the surface this bike looks great and what a bargain price!
  9. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own both and the only downside is fuel range, I hit reserve at 180 on the TR and 220 on the KLR. Everywhere else the Terra kicks ass. Oh BTW the fuel range is being addressed bt the aftermarket. Nomad is planning a tank with an additional 10-12 liters giving the Husky a 400+ mile range
  10. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Plastics are off, and I'm armed with Plasti Dip. This could be fun. Pics to follow.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  11. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I had more nerve. I'd be on a STrada now. Certainly cheap enuff at the current price. Just... can't do it while it's in limbo. The need for the BMW reflash 'n such has put me off. So...

I just bought an early DRZ400E for cheap. It'll do 'til more is known about reliability and to give the after market time to catch up.

I'll keep reading...
  12. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've said this a couple times but one more time won't hurt. I'm so glad I bought a week or ten days before the BMW/KTM change up. I'd probably have chickened out and missed one of the best singles around. I've owned three KLRs and still have a old "Barbie" bike. Sorry to say since the TR came home the KLR has sit too long and needs the carb cleaned to start up. The F/I on the H is so much better. The KLR is kinda like a farm all tractor in comparison.

At the prices the TR is selling for now..(if you can snag one) is a GREAT DEAL!
    I paid near retail back early on and turned over 6k miles today. (looking & waiting for valve adjustment video) I don't have money to waste...but I've wasted more on farkles for other bikes in the past than a new TR sells for. If I could stay off the DR Phill Show I'd buy another just as a back up. I really believe this will be one of those bikes that we sit around and brag that we had one "back in the day" and wish we'd never got rid of it.

The TR is way better than the spec sheet says...almost everyone that rides it buys it or wants to. The guys who have had problems found the fix to be a reflash with the Moss and/or a Booster Plug or one of the several other like gizmos on the market. The worst mileage I've gotten has been in the high 40s low 50s running slab mostly WFO with weekend luggage. She does much better if ridden a bit slower...but not nearly as fun! I wonder if the next batch will be the last of them in its current form....? No regrets here.
  13. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
  14. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Just put 300 miles of dreaded superslab under my belt on the TR. It really is an amazing machine on the road. I ran it hard, and no matter how fast I was going, there was always more juice left for passing. Stock seat, no windshield, and I had to remind myself to stop for gas. I didn't even want to stop in the downpours. :clap
  15. Hafte

Hafte Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my TR in the shop for the same thing, but mine came clear off. The guy at the dealer had another one in where the owner looped the bike. The mechanic showed me that bike and a pretty good fix.

He ran a strut from the exhaust mount to the turn signal mount on the fender. One on each side. It was just a simple tube ~3/8" - 1/2" dia. that was pinched at each end with a hole for the bolt drilled in the pinched end. It felt pretty stout and releived a lot of stress on the plastic mount.

Hafte
  16. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    TCI Racks are in the making. This is the prototype being built. I've seen enough already. I'm IN!

This solves the rear rack problem, while providing sturdy pannier racks too. :clap

No word on cost or production date yet. TCI has only had the loaner bike for two weeks now. They finish the racks and start prototyping the skid plate and crash bars tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  17. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:

Pic wont load here... :cry
  18. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    How about if I host it. Tell me if this works.

[​IMG]
  19. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:

It works.

Man that looks like a pain in the butt to build.
  20. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Their racks are notoriously strong. Perhaps overbuilt.