Mounting Big Blocks help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ducs2Dirt, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ducs2Dirt

Ducs2Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in the midst of "trying" to spoon on some Kenda Big Blocks on my R1100 rims. I got the old tourance off the rear rim in under 5 minutes....easy as pie.

I got the Big Block and got it halfway on with very little effort. But im completely stuck trying to get the last half of the tire on the rim. Initially I tried it yesterday in the garage, but it was cold here yet. So i brought the tires in for the night to warm up. I just gave it another go (indoors) and it is impossible. I dont have a tire changer, just the ole blood, spoons, sweat and tears method. It just seems that tire has NO give at all and is almost too small. ( yeah its the right size :lol3) If i get the tire say 3/4's of the way on, the last bit of tire has like a solid inch and a half to go yet before it can even attempt to hop over the rim.

At this point, im thinking the tire is shot. It started to tear even from just trying to spoon it over the rim before. (not bad....ill get a pic) THe last attempt before i gave up just now i thought i heard tearing/stretching ( or maybe that was some muscle tearing in my arms).

I got the rim and tire lubed up with tire gobs of tire mounting lube, so it should just slip right on, like when i did my Anakee 3's on the 1200 GSA a few weeks back.

Any tips or should I just throw in the towel and bring em in someplace?
  2. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure the back side of the tire is in the valley before proceeding. I use wedges of plastic to force the backside into the valley. This allows the "topside" to easily mount. You can see them on the right. At this point I would still try the tire out as long as the bead isn't destroyed.

[​IMG]

Trust me, putting these 185/55 x 17s are a big pain and I swear I'll bring them in next time and let a pro do it.
  3. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    Here's the little tear. Its not hard bead itself, but the softer excess rubber around the inner bead. well a pics right here so why the hell am I describing it even. :lol3

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I havent tried that shim idea yet. I've been trying to keep it in the valley, but this rubber on the big blocks is hard as hell. Id try that out if i didnt have any fear of screwing up the tire anymore. But at this point....i might throw towel in. Hoping that tire isn't shot now.....Ive never had a fight this big with a tire ever. Its noon here and saint patty's day.....time for a beer. :freaky
  4. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd run that tire. Leave it in the sun (we have plenty where I live.:lol3) to soften. Makes life easier. Good luck, I've been there.
  5. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe try using the zip tie method....if that tire is really stiff it make take 8 + ties or in the original thread here cargo straps were used...anyway the beads are forced together, both are mounted at the same time, and it is fairly easy to keep both in the well while mounting. I have done two in that size (150/70) but nothing bigger, a front tire is shown in the photo. If you try it there is no need to cut the ties once the tire is on, the lock tabs can be released w/ a small screwdriver

[​IMG]
  6. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I have a BigBlock on the back of my 1150, don't remember anything out of the norm when I put it on. Like mentioned, you have to make sure the tire stays in the center opposite of the side you're trying to get on right now. I put a wooden block under that side and my knee on the top, keeps the tire pinched into the center as you spoon on the last section.

That little booger you tore won't hurt a tubeless tire, it might pop a tube, but you don't have tubes.
  7. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 -2x4's
    2-spoons
    some use windex- I use paste.
    2 good knees- which I dont have but I kneel on the edges of the tire with the a 2x4s under the areas of where I kneel as I work it around. The 2x keeps he bottom up in the relief and my poor old knees keep the top down. I lubricate the tire and rim, and once over that tight spot it pops right on. Kendas are tough but for a good side wall it is worth a bloody knuckle or two.
  8. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Ohhh! Me likey zipties.:clap

No stiff sidewall can resist 1hr in 80 degree sunshine:deal
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the tube in there?
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    use plenty of dish soap all over the rim bead area, and tire bead.

I mounded a big block on the back of my 1100gs, using only little 6 inch tusk tire irons.

It wasnt easy, but certainly not unpossible.
    your technique has to be good, make sure the opposite side from where you are stretching is as far into the rim as it will go, thats the only way.
  11. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    ZIPTIES TO SAVE THE DAY!:clap:freaky

After I last posted I had to run out to lowes for some stuff. So when I was there I picked up some of those huge HVAC zipties. 10 bucks for 25 of those 1/2" wide X 36" long ties.

I popped the rear tire completely off again and put eight ties on the big block. I kept working my way around until i pretty much got both beads touching.

Then.....it was THE easiest tire change ever. I literally had the big block on the rim in under a minute, after it was a ziptied up. Using my travel 6 inch irons.
    [​IMG]

With the same method...I had the front done in under a half hour. Including taking off the rotors/abs ring and putting it all back on afterwards.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help guys. Have a cold one on me. :freakySpeaking of which it's time i had a cold one myself. :lol3
  12. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, you inflate it just enough to round the tube out and it is nearly impossible to pinch it when mounting the tire...also very easy to get the valve stem through the rim hole

[​IMG]
  13. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ever used the zip ties when trying to mount a tire with rim locks?
  14. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not me, have used them on all three of my bikes successfully but none have rimlocks...
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    glad it worked for you. truth is, you just needed to warm those BB tires up a little, check that, you needed to warm them up alot.

the method i've always used when the shop is cool is to put them on the front seat of the pickup, turn the heat up to fry your butt, fan to helo high speed, walk away and do something else for awhile. the rear tire needs to be darn warm to the touch, if not hot. that and plenty of lube, and it mounts right up.

the fronts aren't anywhere near as stiff, but it still helps to warm them too.

even in summer temps, i'll let the BBs sit in the sun before mounting.

once you mount them all heated up, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
  16. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I totally agree with that. By now in my neck of the woods, it's "supposed" to be the start of spring right about now, with temperatures in the high 40s or 50's even. Not great tire mounting weather , but still. This past weekend however, when I wanted to get the job done, it was a wonderful 29 degrees.....and snowing. Hell its snowing again right now. :huh

Could I of waited until a better day? Probably. But I'm an idiot. The tires came in friday night and I wanted em on saturday morning. :lol3 I'm so bad, if i see a part come in, sitting on the doorstep when I get home from work, it goes in the same night no matter how tired I am.

The rubber on the BB's is a VERY hard rubber. I'll give it that. When I spooned on Anakee 3's on the GSA, it was the end of februrary in a freezing cold garage..... and it was totally doable. But the compound is alot softer than compared to the BB's . (Which makes me wonder how long they're gonna last).

While I headed out to lowes to pickup the zipties, I left the BB's next to boiler to warm up. Which definitely helped a little.

Hopefully next tire change is gonna be in the dead of summer when I can leave em out in the sun on a 90 degree day.
  17. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    Im going to warn you this thing is a total PITA to get off, I ended up cutting it in half after 8,000 miles.
    [​IMG]
  18. motoOzarks

motoOzarks motoMonstor

Oddometer:
    I ordered Kenda Big Block 784 off the net.
    Front and rear for my f650gs.
    I removed the stock rear tire with my 2 cheapo spoons I've had since the 80's with no issues. I could influence the sidewalls of the tire with my knees and wrists while spooning and worked it off.

Then came the Kenda. I stored it inside for a month or so before I jumped in and man....The sidewalls are so stiff you can stand on em. I ripped far more rubber off than you show in the pics and I hope it's ok. I heard lots of ripping noises when I also applied a tractor spoon some two feet long and I had every clamp and vise grip and I'm wondering...how do I do this on the side of the road?

I still don't know...I took it to a motorcycle tire shop.

I'm going to try the zipties for the front and see how it goes. Easy enough to carry some on the bike.

If it works for the front I'll dismount the rear and put it back on myself before any long trips.

Thanks for posting.