Center Stand for XR650L and XT225

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Cigar Mike, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rocky,

Thank you for the kind words. It was nice meeting you. No problems here with schedule. I wish you would have had more time to visit. It must have been a fun drive the rest of the way back to SLC.

Where's the picture? I would like to add it to my collection.

Thanks,

Mike
  2. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Since the TA is so heavy it is apparent that more leverage is needed to help get the bike on the stand. wdeTA had made a suggestion early on about making a fold down leg to increase the leverage. This is the first attempt at that.

Th problem is keeping it away from the passenger peg and make it possible to get a foot on it to use it. Also when the leg is too long it will keep the bike from rocking back on the rear wheel. Which in my opinion is necessary to help remove the front wheel for tire repairs if needed.

I am hoping that this idea will make it much easier to get up on the stand and provide more control in doing so. If this works out well I will make this option available for other models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The design of this stand is more complicated then I thought it would be. But this is the part I like doing.

Mike
  3. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I received part of an NX650 frame today. How great is that? I will start working on a stand for the bike next week. It will be more of a challenge than I thought. Should be fun.

I have not got the final height yet but that should not be to big of a problem.

Thank you Mike for the frame.

Cigar Mike
  4. DevildogLt

DevildogLt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CM-

Do you ship to FPO APs?

I am a Marine stationed on Okinawa, Japan. I keep my XR650L in my house due to weather and will be able to keep it in a better spot of my living room with it standing straight up.
  5. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    International shipments are by USPS Priority Mail. Not cheap but the least expensive. Have not shipped to Japan yet. $60.00 to Australia is the highest cost so far.

Cigar Mike
  6. DevildogLt

DevildogLt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well if you are willing to ship international then you can ship to FPO AP since it is only to California (yeah, a whole different world but cheap shipping) 96606 is my zip code.

When I get back to Oki I will hopefully place an order... just found out I will be a dad soon so I gotta make sure I cover all those bases first.

Looks like an awesome product.

DDLT
  7. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  8. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I got a start on the stand today. I believe I have it figured out and made some parts for it today. I should have the first one done by early next week.

So this puts me to where I need to get a dimension for the height of the stand. If some one could raise the rear wheel off the ground 1 1/4" with the front wheel touching the ground. Then get the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the frame right under the footpeg bracket. I should be able to make it.

Thanks,

Mike
  9. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    May I presume that you mean the rear wheel 1.25" off the ground with the rear suspension at full extension?

And I presume a bone-stock suspension and standard tire sizes would help? That's what I have.
  10. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Yes, taking the measurement as though it was sitting on the centerstand is what I am looking for.

I do make custom heights at no extra charge. Not many of us can keep from modifying our bikes. Since I am such a small operation it is not a big deal.

Thanks,

Mike
  11. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Hello Mike, Just checking in to see if you are ready to start taking funds for the Alp stand yet? Finally back above freezing here so I can start getting after some wrenching in the garage. Let me know when I can pull the trigger on Pay Pal.:ear
  12. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Not there yet. I need to do more testing. I think it is real close but I am not 100% sure it is right. I have three stands sitting here 99% complete. I am just not sure that I won't have to make some adjustments. I am waiting to see if Steve can break his and fit another one on Dale's bike

Sorry for the delay. But I hate having stands returned because they are not right. Been there, done that. It is not pleasant. It makes me feel ill when people have to return something I have made because it is not right.

I will let you know when they are ready to go.

Mike
  13. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    b3h is the type of person that makes ADV a good place to be. Without providing specifics, he puts others before himself. :clap Awesome!

Mike
  14. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    I apologize for the delay. Today is the first beautiful day we've had, and I got out this evening and took measurements. The measurements weren't as difficult as moving around all my bikes to get a place to do this. :lol3

Again, my '89 NX650 is bone stock with standard-size tires.

With the bike straight upright on a completely level surface, the rear lifted by the frame so that with rear suspension unloaded and front on the ground with compression as if it were on a centerstand, and with the rear wheel exactly 1.25" off the ground, I measured 11.25" to the bottom of the frame directly below the front bolt for the right footpeg bracket, and 11.375" to the bottom of the frame directly below the rear bolt for the right footpeg bracket.

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand and these measurements are what you're looking for.

Edit: I should mention I have Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires, which are pretty much street tires. They are brand-new, but aren't knobbies. I have no idea how these tires compare to knobbies or e.g. TrailWings for inflated circumference. If knobbies are massively larger in circumference then the 1.25" measurement I took will be off accordingly.
  15. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brad, that is perfect. The rear tire circumference does not matter as much as the front tire. Because of the pivot point location when the bike is on the stand this seems to make a bigger difference on rear wheel clearance. It takes a couple of stands to find a happy medium.

Looking at the frame I have. I see that the frame is not symmetrical. The frame is much wider on the left compared to center line on the right. This is not unusual except for how much difference there is. I may have to ask you a few more questions when I get close.

Thanks for taking the time to check that out for me.

Mike
  16. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I did get the stand bolted to the frame I was sent. I will put the legs on it tomorrow. There is an owner not far from me in Denver that will let me try this on his bike. Hopefully I will find out if it works or not soon.

The legs in the picture are for a D#1 XR650L centerstand. The NX legs will be about 3 inches shorter but will look very similar. I think the cross brace between the legs will need to be relocated so it does not hit the lower shock linkage. But I am not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike
  17. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Completed the prototype today. Norby101 has been nice enough to let me test the fit on his bike this coming Tuesday. We will see what I have missed and I will make the adjustments. It should be good to go by the end of next week. This stand requires tightening one bolt to install.

Cost of the stand will be the same as all of the Honda stands. $160.00 less 10% for inmates. If any would like a stand for their NX650 let me know. I will start making parts that I know are right on Monday.

Custom heights are available at no charge for all stands. Send me an email to order and be sure to mention you are an inmate. cigarmikes@gmail.com

Mike
  18. Bug R

Bug R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a stand for an 84 XL600R, Do you have one which fits?
    Chris
  19. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Sorry Chris, I don't have one for that model. I did post in the Rockies asking to borrow a bike. But no one responded to my request. If you want to make a tracing for me I will give it a try. Send me a PM and I will tell you what is needed.

Mike
  20. Bug R

Bug R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually have a spare frame, PM on it's way.
    Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.