Light-weight battery for big ADV Bikes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gqelements, Dec 21, 2014.

1. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, after coming to terms that I'm probably not going to get into a 2-bike scenario I'm trying to shed weight from my Tiger 800 and the battery is the first target.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions of what light(er) weight battery is most suitable and reliable for 'adv' off-road use / scenarios?
  2. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using Li Iron for a few years in several different bikes. I don't know if you ride in cold weather but if you do, buy the largest Li Iron that will fit in your particular bike. Even if the Li Iron battery is as large physically as your lead acid, it'll still weigh a lot less.

IMO, most manufacturer's over estimate their battery's cranking ability, especially when cold as Li Iron batteries are affected more by the cold than lead acid.

Also, do your best not to ever run the battery down dead. Most lead acid bike batteries don't like that anyway but Li Iron batteries especially and when run down dead,,,,, they tend to stay dead. :cry

As for particular picks,,,, I really don't think it matters as long as they are fairly reputable. I have killed shrink wrapped home brew, Shorai, Anti-gravity and Ballistic. Most haven't lasted more than a year or two. I have had two different Shorais last quite awhile, one in my DL650 and one in my old FJR. In both cases I ignored the manufacturer's recommendations and bought the largest that would physically fit.
  3. youkiddin

youkiddin Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've experimented with both Shorai and Braille batteries in my Ducati Monster. I intentionally purchased the largest Shorai I could fit.

After 16 months I've concluded the experiment: I'm done with LithIron. Just plain way too sensitive for my riding. I do ride in the cold, the wet and the inclement and the LithIron just isn't ready for primetime. Yes, it saves weight - significantly so (almost 5# in my bike).

If I wanted a track only bike, or a true fair-weather bike I'd be happy with he LithIron.

Back to AGM to me.
  5. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    The battery ?
    You need to electric start an engine, and you want to save weight on a BATTERY ? That is the LAST place an EFI Triumph needs to lose weight.
    I would put as much LEAD as will fit in the battery compartment, and be GLAD to have it there.
    When you are at the gas pump, buy one fewer GALLON than would fit in the tank..... there's 6 pounds saved.
    Skip lunch every day for a week......
  6. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    1) Take the time to read through _cy_'s thread. It's mind-numbing for a non-EE but it's pretty much the final word on LiFePO4 batteries for mo'sickles.

2) Get your charging system in shape first. LiFePO4 batteries are picky about their charging voltage range and charging voltages that are too high or too low will shorten their life spans. It's worth doing even if you stay w/ an AGM battery for your Turnip and there's lots already published about Triumph R/R upgrades.

3) Install the largest AH battery that you can fit into your battery compartment if you decide to go w/ LiFePO4.
  7. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    We ride our snowbikes in sub zero weather all winter using Li batteries on electric start only bikes, so far in 3 years with 5 of us having them ... 0 problems.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IMO after you get above 250-450 dirtbike weight, I doubt it will have any affect that you will notice. Your wallet will be the lightest thing however.
    I'm a huge fan of US produced Deka/Big Crank AGM batteries for the price vrs performance. http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/
    When Lipo gets down to AGM price then I'll switch for sure.

Now having an Anti-gravity http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-B...8&qid=1420705602&sr=8-3&keywords=anti-gravity with you on tour or in the garage, that's a no brainer.