New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Well, everyone likes a fresh start, so I figured I should kick the new thread off since our old one vanished like the T-Rex:lol3 Ok, I was meaning to answer another fellow 690 owners question about weather I was giving up on the 690 and going to the roundel.

I picked up a clean used 2007 BMW G650X for my dual sport hack project, so the wife and I can enjoy some trail riding together. My legs are too long for us to both fit on anything smaller than a Goldwing. I have not given up on the 690 and I think I might have discovered the issue....

I think it's a bad fuel pump and after some deep thinking, it makes sense to me. The pump has probably been marginal since the day I bought it and has gotten progressively worse as I've ridden it. After removing the return line to the pump housing, it seems to have aggravated the issue and the pump has suffered. I do think the pump has been over heating and boiling the fuel, which creates a vapor lock situation.

I've got another pump that I'm working on stuffing in the OEM holder, so with luck I might be able to test it tomorrow if I can get out of work at a decent time. After an hour in the fumes, I had to run into the house and sit down:lol3

Dirtjack, you're correct about getting the correct fuel line for inside the tank, the hose has started to soften and break down.
  2. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    What the heck happened to the 690 megathread?????? :ear So all that great 690 info has vanished? Can't the mods go back in time and restore it?

Glad to hear that you got the problem licked Cranky.

That hack should be a ton of fun.
  3. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got some questions for the Vortex owners here...

I've spent quite a bit of time screwing around with my '08 SMC. You know, trying different maps, playing with the F-L switch in TuneECU, replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the injector, adjusting the throttle sensors, all the standard stuff. The result is that my bike always starts easily, idles well, and pulls cleanly through the rev range with good power. No complaints there.

But whatever I do, I still can't get rid of that on-off lurch at low throttle openings. Drives me crazy during my commute as there's a good section of moderately heavy surface street traffic moving about 25 mph. It's very hard to be smooth. I get a lesser version of the same issue in third and fourth steady-state cruise. I can't get rid of it.

So my question is this: with all the other benefits of the Vortex I read about in the now vanished thread, does it fix _my_ problem? More power, quicker response, all that's great, I just want to be able to ride smoothly in traffic and slow dirt sections.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    While I don't doubt that the fuel pump is probably the culprit, I'm just not so sure about all this overheating stuff. I mean I run my tank bone dry all the time, even ran out a couple times. The first pump failed at around 12K if I remember correctly and it failed because of the crappy brush wiring, not from over heating, not from clogging up, just a shitty design. The current pump has around 8K miles on it and it's running fine. I still have a wonky FI system, but I've been living with that both before and after changing pumps. I hear people talk about car fuel pumps having issue from running tanks dry on them as well, but the only fuel pump failure I've ever had was a mechanical one on a mid 70's Chevy P/U.
  5. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    At least I'm on the 1st page of the new mega threat!
    Itsposs likes this.
  6. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    Love the new name.
    I'm in.:deal
  7. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    .....I got the first 690 on a beach next to an upside down car wreck photo covered:D

[​IMG]
    bikemoto, Dvolts, Levon15 and 2 others like this.
  8. grimripper

grimripper 1pissanter

Oddometer:
    22,000km and the tanks been run dry 1/2 a dozen times without a problem.
    So far. :huh
    2010 model.
  9. .chris

.chris 690 Advenduro

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I will claim the dirtiest 690 on the frontpage.
    PeterKaa likes this.
  10. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    So....................the $6,000,000 question, will the G650X be any better:D

I'm thinking about a 690R and selling the XChallenge:ear

Whilst the chassis and suspension maybe inferior on the BMW, the motor & FI are sweeet
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  12. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you got it licked Crank. :clap

I hope to get mine retuned soon with Tune-ECU.... :D
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, found you guys! :rofl
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    OK, if you don't want this thread to become completely unmanageable, like the megathread, you guys need to post things like your pose pics in the 690 pic thread, not here.
  15. Vector Leto

Vector Leto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

Motobrant started that thread. You can't place additional links in his original thread, which kinda defeats the purpose. I asked Motobrant about updating his post, but he didn't respond. His last activity on this site was back in June. So, we could use the useful links Motobrant posted in a new thread/post that is updated more frequently and perhaps have more consistent stewardship of that thread. I started the New KTM 690 Thread Index.

Gadget Boy, it sure would be nice to have access to the megathread. What's the status?
  16. Visigothic

Visigothic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mybe KTM called and said they were tired of reading about problems they couldn't fix :bluduh and threatened action against the site. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

All hail, Long live the CARBURETOR :evil
  17. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    For the record, I'm not replacing the the 690 with the X just using it to haul a hack. The 690 is staying, better or worse. The fuel pump failure is just a theory, so dont pat me on the back just yet:D
  18. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Wow another troll from the guy without a bike.... Hey GB, vacation time?
  19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Copy and paste its contents into your new thread, if you're willing to maintain it and we can get it stickied there. PM when you're ready...

We're still looking to see if we can recover the missing megathread.

20. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    I was about to link you to SMJ but I see you just asked over there yesterday. itune seems to have the "motard" map all figured out with Vortex. It's a fair chunk of change but seems to be the best $$ spent on the 690, dirt or tard.