Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. canadianstrom

canadianstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you need to use the bike asap and it holds air what about a large volume of airsoft pellets to act like dynabeads?
    probably a stupid idea
    nevermind
  2. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:

I don't suppose a tube would help? :D
  3. Sideout

Sideout Noob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn. That must have propelled your motorcycle insurance cost to the moon.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:

I haven't broken anything that wasn't from dumping it over. It sounds like its about to rattle itself to death, though, and I suspect that over time the fit and finish of the many body panels would suffer. I think the suspension is up to the task. If you take the bike off road, my experience is that you will eventually dump it over. I tend to keep going almost until I do, then stop to think that maybe that was stupid. That being said, there are some parts that are really fragile in low to no speed tip overs - the blinker/handguards, the shift lever, and the hard bags (more specifically the plastic piece that the hard bags mount into) So to rectify that you need barkbusters, some sort of protection, and more sturdy or soft bags.

Dr. Gregs damage total estimate seems high. I hit a deer and basically destroyed the front end, including the magnesium bit that mounts all the stuff up front, the oil cooler and radiator as well as the fender and numerous bady panels. It came to around 5000 us dollars. I didn't fall, and pieced it back enough to keep riding so I called that a win for me. :huh

Attached Files:

5. Cacciatore3

Cacciatore3 xxx

Oddometer:

Thankyou very much for your advice, I`m tryng to atach the photo....
    Yes I loss all the air in 10 seconds...80MPH+-...

Attached Files:

6. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Glad you are OK!

Do you need the bike right away, as in do you live there, or are you on holiday? That really needs to be fixed by one of the places I suggested in my last post. They can fix it, likely for <$200US (which is much less than a new wheel at $1300US :eek1 , not sure how much it will cost to ship it), but it will take weeks to ship to/from their shop and a few days for them to repair it, assuming they aren't swamped with work. Calling them first is recommended.

If you need the bike right away, you can try to use a rubber mallet and hammer it back into shape enough that it will hold air, but it may crack and you will need to go slow and get it professionally repaired (or replaced) as soon as practical. Absolute worst case, you can look for a 17/18" tube and use that until you can get the wheel fixed. A tube will at least allow you to ride, but again you will need to slow down to avoid overheating the tube.

The other thing is the tire is toast. Notice the cut near the bead where you hit the rock. That will need to be replaced as well, but if you use a tube in it, you should be OK for slow travel until you can get everything properly replaced/repaired.

Best of luck!

-SM
  7. BikeSDP

BikeSDP On a last chance power drive

Oddometer:
    So you put a nylon 1/4" spacer in there and a longer M5x12 or 15 bolt with a fender washer at the bottom? How tall are 'ya? I've been running with the CalSci shorty the last few weeks and it's marginally better.

I haven't broken anything on mine yet, but it's not seen dirt as I have a 990 for that.
  8. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Y'know, it hasn't done a thing. No surcharge, as they say. Maybe it was the two Buells I totaled (one a severe tankslapper and the other a deer) before the Multis that made State Farm give me that special "no surcharge" policy on the Duc :lol3.

--Doc

PS. Having totaled 3.5 bikes in the last five years (along w/11 fractures) Mrs. Greg has been dropping hints about alternative hobbies...:eek1
  9. Dr. Greg

Oddometer:
    Yep, I bent/broke all the parts you mentioned. I'm going to try and fit some "single-point mount" Barkbusters, and attach the turn signals to those somehow...likely won't look too pretty, but it'll work for me. I'd think about changing side cases, but availability seems iffy right now.

Quote seemed high to me as well, but I wasn't doing the counting...maybe parts are more dear here in the People's Republic of New Mexico.

In addition, I think I'm going to be a little more cognizant of road conditions. Every crash I've had in the last five years has been due to some kind of unexpected road condition...

As my high school buddy's ole sarge used to say, "...be careful out there..."

--Doc
  10. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use Zeta handguards with integrated LED turn signals... will look good and dirt cheap. I had them on my Ducati Hypermotard to replace the fragile stockers. Weighed less, looked better, and much stronger than the stock Ducati plastic garbage.They will withstand a fall too.
    http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard/xc_flasher/index.html

Random pic of MTS1100 with them:

[​IMG]
  11. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't remember the name (but Google is your friend) an Eyetalian guy did a world trip by way of deserts, mountains and mud on MT1200, Try motoblog.it(English version) or Ducati web site for a search.
  12. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Barkbusters around my stock, brittle, junk. Totally worth it. OZ Tim on the Duc.ms board had a good thread on attaching the stockers to the barkbusters for protection and keeping the signal lights.

The suspension is very nice on these bike, I am very impressed. I also book marked the rim repair places Sock mentioned, just in case. :(.

[​IMG]

I am trying to run about 20% dirt, to 80% pavement. Boreas pass today.
  13. Dr. Greg

Oddometer:
    Um, where was that? I just did exactly that and I might as well see how badly I screwed it up...

--Doc
  14. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have about 11,000 miles on my '10 MTS 1200. The only broken thing I've had from riding offroad is that one of the bolts holding the stock license plate fell off. It vibrated off due to about a 60 mile gravel road with real washboard.

It's no dirtbike, the 17 in front tire is too jittery, but fully capable if one chooses and is aware of the consequences, $$$$. My biggest problem with it offroad not on pavement is the DTC cutting in too much.

I agree wonderfull bike, but the potential repair bill keeps me from pushingthe bike to any where nears it's potential, there's a reason I still have chicken strips, I don't want to face a multi thousand$ repair bill even if its a minor drop.
  15. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
  16. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    So turn the DTC off. Menu > DTC > On/Off. Done. :dunno

-SM
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound like much fun riding a bike around with all that running through your head. I like ripping around fire roads and trails on my DR650 because I never worry about dropping it, and it's been dropped quite a few times. I'm afraid I would probably be more like Dr Greg and try using the bike to it's potential, which would far outweigh my skill and then as you say, end up with a large $$$$ repair bill. For me that's just the price of admission though, to me there's no point riding around scared I might break something.
  18. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will admit I never completely turned it off. I did play with the various TC levels, even at it's lowest setting it still kicked in too much on washboards.
  19. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I wasn't very clear. I'm only really concerned with dropping in the dirt. On the pavement it isn't so much of a worry, and doesn't keep me from opening it up. I just don't ride like a jackass with it.
    I have a track bike so I can pretend to ne a fat collin rewards or ben spies.
    For some reason the layout of the bike really allows you to hang off. It is very easy to get your but off the seat head and chest moved over and further ahead all of which keep the bike more upright.
  20. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    As long as you're having fun. :norton