Rowe Electronics Power Distribution Module PDM60: anybody try one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 17, 2010.

1. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    That is correct. It wasn't originally thought to be this way, but the new hardware USB cable will necessitate a firmware update in the PDM60 for previously purchased units.
  2. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer...
  3. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    Talked with the folks at Rowe the other day. Sounds like early April on the USB programming cables. Give us a call if you'd like to pre-order one.

AND... the dashboard software that will be used with the cable will permit *one circuit* to be programmed for 20Amps for devices like Stebel air horns. No change needed to the PDM60, it's all in the software.

Remember - you heard it here first. :deal
  4. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a big improvement. It's nice to hear that they are listening to their customers (or at least their horns)! Now we need Stebel to design another loud-ass horn that works fine on 10 amps.

Next step: Integrate a Clearwater CVS single-LED battery voltage monitor.
  5. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is just a shout out for Adam at RocketMoto. I recently purchased a couple of PDM60's from him - he was a BIG help. Very patient and willing to work with me to help me decide programming options and wiring. A great vendor.:clap

Duncan
  6. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    I remember reading about PDM60 when it was first released and I was thinking about buying it, but after I found out that I cannot modify amps (w/o paying the dealer for it), I decided not to get one...

Is this still the case?
  7. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go back a page or two and read the latest in this thread....no it is not the case.
  8. ngng

ngng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll be able to do it yourself at home shortly
  9. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up! I did read the last page or two, but I was confused after reading RocketMoto's website:

"For a nominal fee, Rocket Moto's technicians will custom program the current capacity of each circuit, up to a maximum of 15Amps/circuit (60Amps total for the entire unit), enable delayed on/off timers per circuit, program circuits that are switched or always 'hot'."

I probably should have read the FAQ at the bottom of the page:

"I heard that there's a new version of the PDM60 that is end-user programmable. What's the story?
    Rowe is planning to offer an accessory USB programming cable in the first calendar quarter of 2013. This cable, along with friendly Windows dashboard software, will afford a rider the ability to easily program the PDM60 to his or her preferences. All PDM60 V2's are dealer programmable, but units shipped prior to late February 2013 would require the unit to be returned to Rocket Moto for a firmware update to enable the end-user USB cable programming option. Rocket Moto will offer the firmware update at no cost to riders that have previously purchased units. Shipping costs to and from Rocket Moto are not included."

Guess I'm waiting till end of Q1 :D
  10. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    We hope to have the USB cables in a few weeks. :clap
  11. jscottyk

jscottyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, can you comment on why this was eliminated?
  12. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    There are a few reasons. This was intended as an *input* only for a low current battery tender, while it could be used as an output of up to 2 Amps, that wasn't the intended use.

Well, folks didn't read directions, would connect this to their heated gear or other high current draw item, and cook the PDM60. Secondly, it seems most riders didn't use it, anyway, so it was removed.
  13. jscottyk

jscottyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Adam.
  14. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I DESPISE it when those of us that know how to read and follow instructions lose a capability because of those who can't or won't. :kboom

And how the heck would Rowe know whether folks are/were using the pigtail?

GRRRR!!:baldy
  15. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I rallied to keep that connector many times - and even make the pigtail cable longer. I was overridden. :huh
  16. tbsingleton73

tbsingleton73 The Drunken Crow

Oddometer:
    Installed a PDM60 on my F800GS. Install went well. Took my time over two-three days. Love it. Can't wait for the USB cable to program the unit myself.
    I keep hearing the cable will be available in a few weeks but that's been for a while. Any more current info on when it will be available?
  17. ngng

ngng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Random question...I have my PDM installed on my 09 GSA with one xenon ballast hooked up to an output. At high RPM, I notice the xenon flickering. Any idea why?
  18. ady-uk

ady-uk n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all.
    Ive just joined.

Basically I am in the UK and have received an email from a trusted UK supplier who is obviously selling these units.

I am interested but have a few questions.

Firstly I would prefer the ones pictures on the first few pages. The one with the push in connector so I could crimp / solder the terminals directly to the end of the cables I have and click them into the block. Also using earths into the block for a neater installation.

I hate the thought of splicing wires together mid way.

I just want the originat accessory cables terminated (+ & -) into the connector block.

Looking at the pictures I believe now the whole unit is set in a resin with the wires coming out of the resin. Can you confirm if this is correct?

If so I'll stick to my fuse box with screw down + - terminals

Ideally I'd love a PDM60
    Must have push in connector block (dual row for + & -)
    Must be programmable by myself.

Currently I have:~
    Zumo 660 Sat Nav - 2amp - ignition on
    Autocom - 3amp - Ignition on
    Kenwood Radio - 3 amp - Ignition on
    USB socket - 5amp - ignition on
    Scott Oiler e system - 2 amp - Always on
    2 pin optimate plug - 15 amp - Always on for pluging in tyre inflator or other accessory

The main power feed from battery to fusebox also has a 2 pin optimate connector, so in winter I can just unplug my the fusebox from the battery and plug in the optimate instead.

The PDM60 unit is smaller than what I have at the momeht.
    I'd like to tidy my wiring up, make it neat but can't upgrade unless it suits the purposed as outlined above,

Thank you again
    Ady
  19. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing against what you've outlined to work for you, but the PDM60 is best utilised IMO in a butt splice/solder/heat shrink wire connection or watertight connectors.

Aside from not having fuses to deal with and being completely programmable (coming soon to your computer), its best feature is that it is water/shock/almost everything proof. If you go the screw down terminal route, I think you give up some of what you're paying for.

For me, the waterproof feature was the highest on my list and primarily why I chose this over the Fuzeblock or similar products. The biggest PITA for me on a trip is trying to hunt an electrical gnome with minimal equipment. Then, if you find it, repair is another issue.

Whatever you do, the PDM is a great unit even if you only take advantage of some if its features. I hate fuses.

p3
  20. ady-uk

ady-uk n00b

Oddometer:
    What if one of your items goes wrong or you just simply like upgrading and installing new products as they become available.

You have to chop the wires and resolder a new connection every time.
    (sorry but no thank you, no way) I don't like excess wire so a few cuts and the cable is soon going to run out leaving be with a solid lump of resin and no wires left.

Besides every connector on a motorcycle has plugs / sockets.
    At 12 volts / low amps, water splashes just don't cause that much of a problem.
    My Fuzeblock, I currently use, has got throughly soaked and never caused a problem.
    Too much emphasis is put on water and auto electrics. :(

I was trying to get clarification wether my findings were correct.
    Have they really removed the plug in style wires.
    It seems they have so I wouldn't buy a box that'll rapidly lose its useful lifespan, everytime the wires got cut!#

Sorry I'm really not interested in this anymore.
    I was, still would be if it was what I saw in an early brochure (abeilt home programmable) but not now. not with non replacable fixed length wires that you can't affort to cut down or remove till required later and not without the corrosponding earth terminal option.

Shame that a product has moved backwards instead of forwards IMO

Sorry