Fieldsheer Cyclone one piece suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Cactusman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Cactusman

Cactusman Adventuring Infidel

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Fieldsheer Cyclone riding suit. Alot of folks seem to like the Fieldsheer jackets, pants or suits. Anyone have a Cyclone one piece suit? If so how do you like it? Thanks
  2. Cactusman

Oddometer:
    Got it in the mail the other day from Motorcycle Superstore. Super fast overnight shipping! I pulled this out of the box not knowing what to expect and I am really impressed. The quality seems to be really good as to be expected from Fieldsheer products. I tried it on and was hot. I actually like the suit idea for commuting to work. It not hard to put on, quite easier than my two piece First Gear outfit. The insulation is comfy and warm and is easy to zip out of the suit. It comes with CE armor on the knees, shoulders and back and extra hip guards and shoulder padding. Somthing my First Gear stuff doesnt have. The armor in the knees is adjustable up and down which is a great feature. The vent zippers are fairly easy to get to for me anyway and I really like the neck collar the you can zip on or off. Its really nice here on the north coast of Calif this time of year (cold fog and rain). If your thinking of getting a suit to complement your riding style, this is a great option. The price was 350.00 wich is not to bad I guess for a quality suit with a 12 month warranty. Im 5' 10" and 180 lbs average build, I bought a large and it was a little two big on the bottom half, being to long and baggy. I returned it and had a Medium shipped overnight and it fits just right. I ware a 33/30 in a jean size and the medium is not to long in the leg like the Large was. It shed the wind with not a leak of cold wind sneeking through anywhere in the front and I rode for about a half hour and about 20 miles or so in 50 degree weather. So if your considering a suit, I sure like mine so far. Its got rainguard/ gortex type lining so Im waiting till it rains and Ill repost to give a review on that. For what its worth in mho, great suit for the price. :thumb
  3. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
  4. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    I have its predecessor. I like that suit also, but it did leak profusely at the crotch. Hopefully they have fixed that with this version.

Keep us updated on its performance please.
  5. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the new suit looks good, keep us updated on it's performance and how you like it as time goes on. I've got it's predecessor too, the Highland Suit.
    Tony
  6. Cactusman

Oddometer:
  7. Cactusman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.
  8. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    just to add. i just got a fieldsheer cyclone . 5ft 10 ,160lbs. medium fits great. first impressions. hot and heavy. i wore it with the liner in 33 degrees this morning and comfy. 70 degrees this afternoon legs got a little warm and i left front zipper open a little as vents dont work with liner felt okay when moving. its got a bib thing (think hip waders) that i guess protects your crotch from the dreaded leakage,the hip armor only has one stupid piece of velcro holding it on. there are no hand pockets.and youd better take your wallet out and put it in a cyclone pocket if you might need it cause otherwise youll be fumbling around like a fool for 20 minutes. and the zippers keep catching getting stuck on the liner. it does have double leg zippers though i was able to zip down a little at the top and put my heated glove cord thru. you cant pee with this suit on cause of the bib thing.despite all that its a great suit and looks good keeps you warm and safe
  9. Cactusman

Oddometer:
    I noticed the same things. The Ram Air vents on the shoulders work ok when used with the front vents with the liner in. At least mine did. It is a very warm suit for temps over 65*F. Not bad with the liner removed. The extra removable collar is a great option for cold foggy weather. I like the armor alot better, feels more secure than my First Gear Kili, but my First Gear (non CE) stuff is a couple years old anyway. It will be intersting to see how it performs in the rain.

10. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any rain riding yet?
  11. FixnPCs

FixnPCs the adventurous type

Oddometer:
  12. Cactusman

Oddometer:
    No rain yet. Drizzly fog, yea and it worked great. But thats not a real test. Will post when it happens.:thumb

13. Cactusman

Oddometer:
    This suit works good in the rain. No leaks. Wet wrists after 20 miles at 65mph but had my gloves inside the wrist cuffs. I did 25+ miles total for about 40 minuts of riding. Light to moderate showers. I have a DR650 with a wind screen and a small wolfman tank bag. That blocked alot of the direct rain to my chest. I stood up for a few miles to get good and wet and still no leaks. I like the collar as I hate rain down my neck, but it takes a little bit to adjust it just perfect. One last note. The little hidden zippered chest pocket leaked and my wallet and phone got alittle wet. It was wet in the bottom of the pocket but nothing came through to my chest. If I had been riding in harder rain or for longer, my stuff would have been soaked. They need a water resistant zipper there, or use a small zip lock. All in all worth the money I paid so far. Ill write a better update as we get more rain and I go out for a longer ride.
  14. heymynameisfred

heymynameisfred n00b

Oddometer:
    hey, can you guys give any further "longer" term updates on this suit? i'd really like to know how this turned out, particularly as a commuter suit.

btw, i'm 6'0 200lbs with 32 inseam, pretty standard size, if not a little on the bigger side i suppose. would i shoot for the XL for a commuter suit where i wear my work clothes underneath?

TIA.
  15. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    I own an Olympia suit, not a Fieldsheer. My two cents is that if you use it as a commuter over your work clothes, think about buying two sizes larger than normal. Especially if you think you will be using the liner as well.

By size, I take a large. I bought my Olympia suit in XL and wear it over a business suit. It works fine without the liner and is on the small side with the liner. It is on the large side when I am wearing it over a t-shirt and shorts.
  16. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for a few weeks now. The large fits me great, I'm 5'11 175 and it could easily accommodate me if I was bigger around the stomach or chest, etc. I have the sides cinched snug so this suit will let me gain weight around xmas :D

The only real negative was zipping the inside fabric on the legs and then cussing and fighting with the zipper to get it undone. Very annoying. If I took my sweet time, this didn't happen often but it still happened too many times.

Last night, I broke out some duct tape and put strips on the inside and problem solved. looks like it will hold enough that it will last a good bit. I can now zip up and down quickly without worrying about snagging the fabric.

While not as heavy duty as my Olympia voyager (thus the phantom), its hard to argue with $200 for a winter 1 piece.

What I really dig is the removable collar thingie. Keeps out the cold around my neck and I just unzip it and put in my pocket for the warmer afternoon ride home from work. What a great lil bonus.

I recommend this suit if you don't want to / can't afford throwing down over twice as much for the phantom. If I could spare the extra money, I would get the olympia based solely on how f'n awesome my voyager is but I'm not disappointed at all in the fieldsheer.
  17. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Have you gotten a chance to ride with it in the rain yet?
  18. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    yeah but while it was fine, I can't do a 100% test cause the tmax blocks about 90% of the rain anyway especially with the big givi shield
  19. Steve in PA

Steve in PA n00b

Oddometer:
    One note from my experience riding in heavy rain with the Highlander II suit.
    I have ridden 8 hrs in heavy rains without getting wet, but only if I take a second to fold the suit down at the front waist area after sitting on my bike. Without doing that the suit forms a pocket in the front that collects water like a bucket, and after an hour or so it will leak through the zipper and wet your crotch area. By taking the fabric at the waist and folding it down over itself the suit sheds the water instead of collecting it, and I stay 100% dry. Also take care with the storm flap that covers the main zipper to ensure it is correctly velcro'd and the suit stays dry. There is no bib thing in my suit, so these steps must be taken or the suit will leak, with embarrassing results.

As for warmth the suit with the liner is warm for me down to below freezing, and I will wear just a t-shirt and jeans under it down to 45 degrees or so. Below that I put on a light fleece under the suit. Above 70 degrees the suit is a bit too warm even without the liner, and when it gets to be 85 and above the suit acts like a sauna. When on tour in changing temps I carry my mesh gear for the warmer times, and switch into it at about 70 degrees and up.

I am 5'9" and 220 lbs with a 30" inseam and wear the 2xl size. It fits good, but I had to fold the bottom 4" of the legs up inside and Velcro them in place. The zippers start there so I didn't need to change anything there. I may get around to having them altered by a tailor but the system has worked without a hitch to this point.

I have not had any problems at all with the zippers on this suit, and if I put my wallet in the inside breast pocket (the one behind the zipper) my wallet stays dry. I haven't noticed any of the pockets leaking at all.

BTW I ride a 83 Honda GL650 Interstate with a full fairing so your mileage may vary if riding a naked bike or one with less/more protection.
  20. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride 'The Cartographer'

Oddometer:
    I see that the Cyclone is still being sold. Before I take advantage of the super deal I have one question.

How many vents does the Cyclone have and wear are they?

I am currently using a Fieldsheer Adventure jacket, which has really good venting.

I am interested in using this suit for commuting for three seasons ( fall, winter, and spring ). I realize that this suit would be too hot for Atlanta temps in the summer.

Thanks,

-rodney