looking for 37 indian chief build input

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by bomberdave, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    so i got a 37 chief basket this summer.

it came with two complete oil pump systems, the 37 and a later unit.

seeing as the 37 jugs it came with are looking very usable, im leaning toward building it up as a stock 37, but i know i will be riding it, which means abusing it,which means the later pump with its higher oil volume and maybe later jugs with better cooling would be advised. which starts to cost money, which i dont have, or wont before this heap of rust is a going concern. kinda thinking of going a low buck route, no fancy paint, basically get it running and going back someday to do the pretty. still, it needs to have at least enough self preservation to survive at 55 mph or so for maybe an hour or about at a time?

when i get the thing together it will be the first time these parts were ever a bike, the PO collected them back in the day (70's and early 80's) in order to build a prewar chief, then decided to focus on his 48 chief, a pretty sick bike, rainbow blue paint, 4 speed,well sorted. he rides it. hats off to tom!

long shot question (but its free to ask)- anybody ever actually put any miles on a prewar indian and what kind of performance could i expect from a stockish build?
  2. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indian Fred used to ride his almost everyday- but he kept up with it, too.
    Like you say, they're a little scary over 60-65mph, but it should do fine. Lots of little places to lose oil- especially if this is your first time, so bring a quart of oil with you.

Tom paid a LOT of money for that 4-speed... I'm not convince it's really necessary. Synchro is for ... never mind. You just have to get the idle low, rock the bike, and jam it into 1st.
  4. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    BD,

FACT: These Ol' bikes were hardy and folks back then knew nothing about the prevenative maintenances' we do to our "precious machines" today. They were built tough and to withstand the test of time and lived thru all the abuses their previous owners put them thru.

FACT: This build will nickel and dime you until you are Broke and Homeless. So have money set aside that:
    • does not put food on the table
    • heat in the home
    or
    • roof over your head.
    FACT: Your money will be gone before you know it.:huh
    Put the puzzle together as your pocket book will allow and deal with any issues as they come up and as you can afford.

FACT: Your inquire on this forum will initiate millions of responses (some good some bad) Build it as best you can and start to enjoy it.

FACT: With todays information highway, you have a tremendous recource to locate parts and information and have it all delivered to your door step or computer screen. So start googling (or whatever you use) and invest the hours reading and researching.

FACT: Your prewar stockish 1937 will ride and perform like a 72 year old motorcycle, now whether you like that or not only you can decide.

FACT: Soon you will become the envy and inspiration to others as Tom was to you.

Keep us up to date if your so inclined.
  5. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    well ive been riding a 1953 beemer for 4 years so i have a little bit of an idea what im getting into. going from plunger to rigid seems like a bright idea for a guy with back problems huh? ive got access to a couple full machine shops and i weld/fab for a living so a bit of the expense is negated but yeah, hundred dollar bills turn to vapor when exposed to a project like this. i got a very fair price on it up front, so that takes a little of the sting out of it.
    hey, the heart wants what it wants. buying a kawasaki isnt saving money if you want a pre-war indian. and alas, i do.
  6. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    :evil :clap
  7. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting...
    I've had 3 1952 BMW's and 3 Indians. I can't think of any similarities.
    In some ways the Beemer has the better engine, but in some ways the Indians had a better ride. It's fun learning to down-shift on a downhill turn, or take off on a left turn from a stop, or stop at a light on an incline... :lol3

The rear brake locks up real easy, too. Don't forget that- especially on bridges with grates. Come to think of it- the Indian is way more fun! :eek1
  8. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Cousin Sam's,
    [​IMG]
    He's paintin' it blue....:lol3
  9. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    "its a good thing its slow because it doesnt stop for shit either."

how your enfield ernie? theres a 49 royal enfield model g in the boston craigslist right now asking under 3k. want me to go look at it for ya?
  10. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    dan- thats about as close to what im after as ive seen. except it came with a servicar seat that i'll probably use. looking at that thing gets me hot and bothered. blue?
  11. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    one really cool thing about the bike is that it has a NOS fork, old military stock says tom. the whole thing is unused, new spring and pivots et all. nice to know when fireroading in the white mountains.
  12. danedg

Oddometer:
    I questioned that....aren't Indians red?....
    He's had it a long time...that picture's 20 years old......
  13. Regbafazool

Regbafazool Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer:
    Tommcbride said it all, I think!

Best of luck! :clap:clap
  14. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:

Heck no. I hate old bikes.

and I'm broke...
  15. danedg

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. danedg

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    your cousins indian has changed my mind about how im gonna paint mine- that red frame looks too cool.

makes me want to go back to the shop tonight and get started on the sheetmetal...
  18. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet your project is in better shape than mine! :lol3

this is a 35 Chief I picked up with some other bikes. I always liked the rigid chiefs. this one sat in a collapsed barn for several years. No motor or trans, (I've got a '46 drivetrain layin around to stick in it) the plan is to build a post WW2 style bobber
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    surprisingly, the wheel hubs & h-bar controls still work, the fenders are nice, & the orig horn still works!
    the gas tanks didnt fare so well, and yes, thats a bird next in the one....
    [​IMG]
  19. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    it looks like your chief needs a new bottom end- love the front motor through-bolt, that must be the lightweight racing one. gonna guess that sat outside for a while.

i wont get to say this too often so "haha my tanks are in better shape than yours." mine just have a fist size wad of old car cheese (bondo) in one side, a missing mystery square of metal gone from one tank (as if somebody started to fix it but the supperbell rang) and the rest is just dented and rusted.

when i was buying the bike i had seen a really decent set of tanks hanging from the ceiling, still had original decal fragments,im rubbing my hands together in anticipation, and tom walks over to them and reaches behind them and hands down my roached ones. crap. the nice ones are post war back ups for his 48.
  20. indianscot

indianscot VERY easily distracted!

Oddometer:
    Best o luck Dave. My wee bobber took me 18 yrs creating a parts stack big enough to build a bike.