Tip for dealing with wet gloves: silk liners!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by rdwalker, Oct 3, 2012.

1. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that the rainy season is upon us, here is a suggestion for the inmates who get out in the rain.

I happened to spend yesterday many hours riding in the torrential downpours in NY and in NJ and the issue is fresh on my mind.

I have been always using silk liners in low temperatures and found them to be very effective. However, a while back, 'xmagnarider' on BMWLT forum pointed out another great idea: using the silks in the rain. As you all know, there is no such thing as waterproof gloves - sooner or later they'll soak through. Then, they become almost impossible to put on or take off wet hands: the interior liner sticks to the skin.

This is where the silk gloves come in: even when wet, they will allow the riding gloves to slide on smoothly. Amazing discovery! It helped me with taking pictures in inclement weather, too: I no longer dreaded taking off the gloves to operate my camera in the rain.

I hope you find this useful .

[​IMG]
  2. LowInSlo

LowInSlo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, greatest things silk glove liners. Don't think about it, just get em.
  3. woolsocks

woolsocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merino Wool!!!
  4. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
  5. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried that, but I have a really hard time putting my gloves back on when I use these instead of silk liners.
    :D

Great tip, thanks for that, but I still prefer to use my Rain-Off three finger glove covers (very similar to the Aerostich ones) in stead of silk liners.
    When I get my leather gloves soaked too often, they get smelly and stiff if I'm not careful.
  6. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I don't like getting leather gloves wet. I've been using the Aerostich elk hide gauntlets, both unlined and lined, and they've been great. The covers work well, and I just pull them on over the glove. I also have a pair of gloves made of wet suit material that keeps the hands warm even when wet.
  7. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Great thread, thanks for the real solution to a real problem.
  8. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    stupid question...where do you get the liners from?
  9. Lefty23

Lefty23 Trekker

Oddometer:
  10. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. rdwalker

Oddometer:
    Any good sports / ski store. Online outdoor-equipment supplies, such as http://www.campmor.com/.

Or, just search for ThermaSilks brand glove liners - Amazon is one of the vendors.
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    I've personally never had an issue slipping soaked gloves on or off. My main issue is the fact that they're soaked.
  14. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Anybody have an equally good solution for summer sweat? I don't even wear my Rukka's in the summer anymore because I can't get the damn things back on after a gas stop. I want/need the protection but can't handle the frustration of trying to get them back on so I wear some less protective A-Stars. I've only got 4 un-mangled fingers left, so protection is pretty important. lol
  15. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Problem with glove liners is that you still have a pair of wet gloves to contend with. You can get dedicated waterproof gloves, but unless you live in the PNW, you'll only get caught out in the occasaional rainstorm or rarely need to ride in the rain. Overgloves make sense, just like a rainsuit.

Don't have overgloves, but they just went up a notch on my "round-tuit" list...
  16. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    About $3.00 at the commercial fishermen supply store. They do have some texture for better grip. I sure tested them well a few times this summer.

[​IMG]
  17. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Silk glove liners.

Seriously. Silk will keep you warm when it is cold, keep you cool when it is warm.
    Try the liners and see if your hands are any warmer. I predict they won't be, but you will get back into your gloves a whole lot easier.
  18. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to give the silk liners a try.
    I HATE wet leather gloves and when my Olympias get wet they stay wet forever!
  19. rdwalker

Oddometer:
    The leather gloves will still stay wet. No fix here. My point was that it was so much easier to use them with the liners: they would come on and off without sticking.

Regarding the suggestions of over-gloves: I tried them all, from Aerostich rubber overgloves through gardening gloves. They still get wet inside and, worse yet, they reduce dexterity and feel of the controls. I did not feel comfortable.

YMMV
  20. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Seems you can stop at a gas station, pull off your wet gloves without turning the innards out, handle your credit card and run the pump wearing the liners and put the gloves back on.

Definitely an irritant I run into.